C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Looking for '58 Silver Blue Convertible Top

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 05:15 PM
kahibbi
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Looking for '58 Silver Blue Convertible Top

I recently picked up a very nice Silver Blue '58. It has the hardtop with the car, but the only signs of a convertible top were the anchors on the rear deck lid. There was absolutely nothing under the convertible deck lid (e.g. - empty tub).

I reached out to several vendors asking for a complete convertible top, including the blue fabric soft top. Though all have not replied, I have had a couple of responses that blue tops were not original equipment.

I'll admit, I'm new to anything C1. But I thought I saw that there was a blue top offered with the Silver Blue and Inca Silver color combination. I have seen restorations that have the blue top, and I assumed the tops were restored/recovered with replacement soft top.

So my quest is to purchase a complete soft top that just needs to be bolted in ... or whatever you'd call it.

Does anyone have any guidance or insight where to turn for help? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:25 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

The blue top on the '58 silver blue cars with the blue-grey interior is one of the best combos ever on C1s for me. I was lusting for that combo when I bought my '58.

I think your best route would probably be to find a nice used complete convertible top frame in good usable condition, from the various parts sources, or at a swap meet. I believe trying to buy the frame complete with the top color you want may be making the search unreasonably difficult.

Get a nice top frame, make sure its sound, non rusty, complete and functional. Then have Al Knoch or someone put a nice new '58 blue top canvas on there.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:35 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I had a 58 283/290 FI silver blue/Inca silver cove with silver blue interior and power convertible with PWs. back in 1976. It was the factory original top. The only pictures I have are with the hard top on but silver blue tops WERE factory original.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:44 PM
kahibbi
Intermediate

Thanks for confirming that the factory tops were offered in blue. I had seen it a couple of times in literature, the "Corvette Black Book" being one. So I was a little caught off guard when one of the vendors said the original tops for silver blue only came in white and beige. The black book suggests they were white or "blue gray" tops for the Silver Blue exterior.

I am not so much looking for a one-stop-shop, just the options and 'who' I should contact for that blue soft top ... since I'm hearing, thus far from the few replies, that no one is offering the blue soft top.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:56 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Originally Posted by kahibbi
Thanks for confirming that the factory tops were offered in blue. I had seen it a couple of times in literature, the "Corvette Black Book" being one. So I was a little caught off guard when one of the vendors said the original tops for silver blue only came in white and beige. The black book suggests they were white or "blue gray" tops for the Silver Blue exterior.

I am not so much looking for a one-stop-shop, just the options and 'who' I should contact for that blue soft top ... since I'm hearing, thus far from the few replies, that no one is offering the blue soft top.
Call Al Knoch interiors I am betting they have the top material you want.

New and used convertible top frames here:

http://www.cranescorvette.com/conver...top_frames.htm

Last edited by 68hemi; 02-13-2018 at 05:59 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:16 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

I'd bet the house Al Knoch would have a blue top for you.

I think a swap meet might be the best place for a top frame, though.

This guy was parked next to my red one at the Bloomington Gold Year display for 1958s:
Attached Images   
The following users liked this post:
kahibbi (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 07:06 PM
jrm5657
Melting Slicks

Received 686 Likes on 383 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I had a blue soft top on my 58 Fuelie. I also have a nice original soft top frame that was removed from a 57 about 40 years ago. $2k for the soft top frame, and I am sure Al Knoch makes the blue soft top for it.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:10 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Originally Posted by jrm5657
I had a blue soft top on my 58 Fuelie. I also have a nice original soft top frame that was removed from a 57 about 40 years ago. $2k for the soft top frame, and I am sure Al Knoch makes the blue soft top for it.

Man, that looks just like my old car but I know it is not since my car went to New Zealand in 1985. The one "that got away" I NEVER should have sold that car.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:30 PM
kahibbi
Intermediate

I'll have to get some guidance on ALL the bits and pieces necessary for the complete top. I'm sure the frame is the biggest thing ... and then there all the nuts and bolts and screws and washers and weatherstrip and ... in addition to the top. That's why I was looking for kind of "turn key".

But I at least know that the soft top fabric somes from Al Knoch.

All I need is the soft top and it'll look like the ones above ...

No top at all ... (soft top m.i.a.)

Beauty, just want the quick up and down of the soft top, too.

Last edited by kahibbi; 02-13-2018 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:45 PM
jrm5657
Melting Slicks

Received 686 Likes on 383 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

You should fit the top frame to your car and then have the soft top installed, so it would be difficult to get one turn key.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:52 PM
68hemi
Race Director

I'll have to get some guidance on ALL the bits and pieces necessary for the complete top. I'm sure the frame is the biggest thing ... and then there all the nuts and bolts and screws and washers and weatherstrip and ... in addition to the top. That's why I was looking for kind of "turn key".

But I at least know that the soft top fabric somes from Al Knoch.
You should check out member jrm5657 's frame, that is a fair price for an original.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:58 PM
kahibbi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jrm5657
You should fit the top frame to your car and then have the soft top installed, so it would be difficult to get one turn key.
I keep using the wrong terms. I'm just really looking for 'everything' Ii would need to put together and install the top. I assume there are a tone of other parts necessary besides the frame and top. My hope was to get a frame and parts from one place, then the top from another ... wherever the best would be for the parts, and the best would be for the soft top.

Anyway, I'm sure it'll be like be doing anything DIY around the house. I run to Lowes a gazillion times. I'm sure I'll have to place tons of orders, thus waiting more than I'd like to complete the top.

Regardless, I'll get there.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:01 PM
68hemi
Race Director

I keep using the wrong terms. I'm just really looking for 'everything' Ii would need to put together and install the top. I assume there are a tone of other parts necessary besides the frame and top. My hope was to get a frame and parts from one place, then the top from another ... wherever the best would be for the parts, and the best would be for the soft top.

Anyway, I'm sure it'll be like be doing anything DIY around the house. I run to Lowes a gazillion times. I'm sure I'll have to place tons of orders, thus waiting more than I'd like to complete the top.

Regardless, I'll get there.
Contact him. If he removed it from a car it is likely complete with everything you need.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:08 PM
kahibbi
Intermediate

Just dropped jrm5657 a PM ...

Thanks for the help so far!
Old 02-13-2018, 08:24 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Just dropped jrm5657 a PM ...

Thanks for the help so far!
Hope all works out for you. I LOVE 58s.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:47 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

You might want to give the folks at Coffman Corvette a call. Clint has a jig that he can mount a convertible top frame on and install a top that can then be bolted into a the car. If there are any adjustments necessary they will make them for you if you bring the car to one of the shows they do. If you need a Corvette top frame restored, they are one of the best in the business. (419) 522-2246

I know that they have complete frames available, or you can supply the frame or top if you have them.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 02-14-2018, 12:08 PM
mi58v
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

A few months ago I brought the 58 down to Texas. I had Al Knoch install a new top and a new interior. He and his son Elliot were fantastic as were his workers. I am very satisfied with the results. The soft top frame came off the car 40+ plus years ago and stayed in a folded postion all that time. Had it blasted, got it to move again, painted it and lubed it. All is good.

Old 02-14-2018, 08:29 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by GUSTO14
You might want to give the folks at Coffman Corvette a call. Clint has a jig that he can mount a convertible top frame on and install a top that can then be bolted into a the car. If there are any adjustments necessary they will make them for you if you bring the car to one of the shows they do. If you need a Corvette top frame restored, they are one of the best in the business. (419) 522-2246

I know that they have complete frames available, or you can supply the frame or top if you have them.

Good luck... GUSTO
I agree with GUSTO Coffman can install it on the frame and send it to you.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:25 AM
aworks
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette ED
I agree with GUSTO Coffman can install it on the frame and send it to you.
That's what I did about ten years ago. Blue top is still perfect.

Last edited by aworks; 02-16-2018 at 10:25 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for '58 Silver Blue Convertible Top

Quick Reply: Looking for '58 Silver Blue Convertible Top