C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 10:45 AM
roonsgm123
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension

Looking to upgrade suspension on my 66 coupe, any experience with the sharkbite coilover system or any other that will work? Thanks.

Paul R
Old 02-14-2018, 12:09 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Here we go again! This is the THIRD "suspension upgrade" thread in the last two weeks, so do a little searching, and since this is your first post, welcome to the CF.

Also tell us about your car - SB, BB with base or HD suspension? OE? Modified? Tire size make and model?

Of greatest importance is What do you want to accomplish? What deficiencies do you observe in the current setup?

Duke
Old 02-14-2018, 12:23 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by SWCDuke
Here we go again! This is the THIRD "suspension upgrade" thread in the last two weeks, so do a little searching, and since this is your first post, welcome to the CF.

Also tell us about your car - SB, BB with base or HD suspension? OE? Modified? Tire size make and model?

Of greatest importance is What do you want to accomplish? What deficiencies do you observe in the current setup?

Duke
Yeah, lots of questions lately regarding improvements for C2 handling. If they just understood there are really only a few things you can do beyond factory specifications unless they are going to modify wheel openings to accommodate the bigger, better tires that anything else can build on to be effective. Everybody wants to be able to go to a catalog, buy bolt on parts for a magic solution without any consideration to what the car was designed to do 50+ years ago. New technology does not necessarily work on an old car without other substantial modifications.

Gee, I wonder why people flared the fenders of their cars back in the day??
Old 02-15-2018, 10:55 PM
roonsgm123
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SWCDuke

Duke
You guys are a little intense, figured I get smacked down no sooner than the 5th quote! Anyway I have 66 coupe with 327 modified to include holly EFI. M20 trans. car came with flared fenders, not to extreme so I can get a healthy tire on it. looking to lower car for better stance and handling. get rid of the bump steer. Not a rally car, just improved safer handling.

Paul
Old 02-16-2018, 10:10 AM
reno stallion
Melting Slicks

Received 1,521 Likes on 803 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Put biggest tire on you can. make ever thing like new again. Maybe power steering borgeson. improve front end geometry. Good shocks

These cars have original style suspensions and work great
Old 02-16-2018, 10:13 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by roonsgm123
You guys are a little intense, figured I get smacked down no sooner than the 5th quote! Anyway I have 66 coupe with 327 modified to include holly EFI. M20 trans. car came with flared fenders, not to extreme so I can get a healthy tire on it. looking to lower car for better stance and handling. get rid of the bump steer. Not a rally car, just improved safer handling.

Paul
Lots of grumpy old guys...
In their defense, this topic has come up a bunch and in spite of the good advice these guys provide some owners run off and bolt together 'mutt' or "Hot Rod Harry" parts then come back to complain about handling...

It gets a bit old.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:35 PM
bosshog8
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by roonsgm123

Paul
I'm in the same boat as you. I run a stock style suspension with 10.5" tires, good shocks, fiberglass rear spring, new front coils (lowered), aftermarket upper A-arms for as much caster as possible and Borgeson power steering with a frame stiffener. I'm not a race car driver and I have no idea if it handles good, bad or whatever.....and I don't care because It drives great, feels safe and my smiles per gallon have increased dramatically.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:42 AM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by bosshog8
I'm in the same boat as you. I run a stock style suspension with 10.5" tires, good shocks, fiberglass rear spring, new front coils (lowered), aftermarket upper A-arms for as much caster as possible and Borgeson power steering with a frame stiffener. I'm not a race car driver and I have no idea if it handles good, bad or whatever.....and I don't care because It drives great, feels safe and my smiles per gallon have increased dramatically.
I've done the whole bolt on package from a reputable dealer and over time reverted back to a pretty much stock configuration. My advice is to do much as Bosshog8 has done, Borgeson, increased caster, best shocks you can buy. Maybe a fiberglass rear spring but expect to do some experimenting to match the correct shocks to the springs rebound rate.

Get notified of new replies

To Suspension

Quick Reply: [C2] Suspension