C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

66 BB radiator install help

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 07:47 PM
Early66L72
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 66 BB radiator install help

for all who have done this before which i am sure is a bunch of you. installing the radiator and everything is new. rad rebuilt, core support, all 4 rubbers and new upper rad hold downs. So the problem is by just pushing and pulling it wont go down far enough in the bottom holders to get the bolts installed thru the core support into the upper hold downs. Is there a trick you all have used to do this?????

thanks in advance jcw
Old 02-18-2018, 03:36 PM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 885 Likes on 634 Posts

It will take some repeated pushing on the radiator to get it seated in the lower cradles and pushing on the upper cradles to get alignment on the through-bolts. New cushions tend to be on the thick side. No real trick is involved - just be sure you pulled the little nubs on the cushions all the way through the corresponding holes on the cradles so that they lock in place. Had the same issue when replacing my radiator mount cushions.
The following users liked this post:
Early66L72 (02-18-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 06:26 PM
Early66L72
Instructor

Originally Posted by Avispa
It will take some repeated pushing on the radiator to get it seated in the lower cradles and pushing on the upper cradles to get alignment on the through-bolts. New cushions tend to be on the thick side. No real trick is involved - just be sure you pulled the little nubs on the cushions all the way through the corresponding holes on the cradles so that they lock in place. Had the same issue when replacing my radiator mount cushions.

Thanks for the reply.. worked on it for a couple hours without much success. Gave up for a while and then used some small ratchet straps around both upper and lower cradles with a bunch of cardboard to make sure there was no damage to the rad fins. tightened them up and they seated and i could just get the bolts in. got it done so now i have to figure out how to fish the fan shroud in place...

thanks again jcw
Old 02-19-2018, 06:05 PM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 885 Likes on 634 Posts

You may have to pull the radiator back out to get the shroud in position. Leave the shroud loose until the radiator upper cradles are bolted in, then bolt the shroud to the radiator support.

Almost forgot what a PITA it was to install my radiator the first time - had it re-cored with a five tube-row core. The core was improperly manufactured, so the distance between the tank seams at the top was 1/2" too wide. The upper cradles wouldn't align with the bolt holes. GRRRR!!!
Old 02-19-2018, 06:12 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by Early66L72
Thanks for the reply.. worked on it for a couple hours without much success. Gave up for a while and then used some small ratchet straps around both upper and lower cradles with a bunch of cardboard to make sure there was no damage to the rad fins. tightened them up and they seated and i could just get the bolts in. got it done so now i have to figure out how to fish the fan shroud in place...

thanks again jcw
Step #1 for installing the fan shroud is to remove the radiator you just installed.

Sorry but I don't think you will get that fan shroud in there as it's a tight fit.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:08 PM
Early66L72
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mr D.
Step #1 for installing the fan shroud is to remove the radiator you just installed.

Sorry but I don't think you will get that fan shroud in there as it's a tight fit.
going to try and drop the front sway bar and clutch fan and bring it up through the bottom. if that won't work then let it sit for a week or so and remove the rad. What a pain..

thanks jcw
Old 02-20-2018, 09:28 AM
Mark66
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default 1966 corvette

Originally Posted by Early66L72
going to try and drop the front sway bar and clutch fan and bring it up through the bottom. if that won't work then let it sit for a week or so and remove the rad. What a pain..

thanks jcw
PM sent
Old 02-20-2018, 11:58 AM
Early66L72
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mark66
PM sent

will do about 1030 pacific time

Get notified of new replies

To 66 BB radiator install help

Quick Reply: 66 BB radiator install help