C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] New wheels and tires - alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 08:15 PM
C4toC2
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The alignment must be the answer - I assume you still need to do that. I just finished rebuilding my suspension stock - except for the Koni's. Fronts are set to middle setting and the rears were left on softest setting. My specs are, Front camber -1.5, Caster +3.0 on both sides, and toe in is 1/32 total. Rear Camber is -0.5 and toe in is 3/32 total. I have power steering with the tie rods connected to the "fast" steering locations (Steering rods on the hubs have two holes - one fast one slow). I also went through the steering column and am using the "rag" coupler. The tires are 215/70R 15s on the knock-off aluminum wheels. The steering is a bit light, but my opinion, the car drives beautifully and will travel a straight stable path at speeds well over the 3 digit mark.

I did have one thought about the Rag coupler between the steering shaft and the steering box. I believe it is to allow for mis-alignment. If the rag coupler is removed in favor of something with less or no flex, I would think the alignment would need to be perfect, other wise there would be some binding which would cause the steering to "notchy" and cause interesting effects as the system tries to rotate the wheel to the location of lowest "bind" tension?
Old 03-20-2018, 09:39 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by C4toC2

I did have one thought about the Rag coupler between the steering shaft and the steering box. I believe it is to allow for mis-alignment. If the rag coupler is removed in favor of something with less or no flex, I would think the alignment would need to be perfect, other wise there would be some binding which would cause the steering to "notchy" and cause interesting effects as the system tries to rotate the wheel to the location of lowest "bind" tension?
The REAL danger of misalignment (and the reason for the flex coupler to accommodate dimensional variation between the body and the frame) is that the lower column bearing can get cut and grooved by the lower bearing race, and fail, leaving you with no steering. Not good.
Attached Images  
Old 03-24-2018, 02:25 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
The REAL danger of misalignment (and the reason for the flex coupler to accommodate dimensional variation between the body and the frame) is that the lower column bearing can get cut and grooved by the lower bearing race, and fail, leaving you with no steering. Not good.
Wow! That car must have been driven a lot. My shaft shows no wear over 12 years now. I just rebuilt the column and greased it.

But I don't doubt it. If the car was driven for many hears, I can see that happening.
Old 03-24-2018, 02:27 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Update on alignment - I'm pissed because I lost the before and after print outs. I want to get them and will share. They are exactly Duke's recommendation.

Holy Schmoley Bajoly. It's a different car now. I swear I can feel those big ol' meats and it handles great.

Turns out, it was way out whack. Not sure if it shifted over time or if whomever did it last was an idiot. Or a chimpanzee.

Last edited by TJefferson2020; 03-24-2018 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:06 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Originally Posted by SnakePlisken
Update on alignment - I'm pissed because I lost the before and after print outs:
Are you talking about the recent alignment? If so, contact the shop. Chances are they still have the data on the computer and can print it out, again.

Duke

Quick Reply: [C2] New wheels and tires - alignment?