C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Borg Warner Clock replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 03:48 PM
sandymac
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Borg Warner Clock replacement

My understanding is that a number of Chevrolet's used the same borg warner clock movement - thus for example clock guts from a another car of the same era can bu used to replace the Corvette movement with a similar mechanical movement thus keeping the clock correct. Has anyone done this ??
Old 03-22-2018, 03:52 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I don't know, but why swap in a used movement of unknown quality ?

The Clock Works will install a new, OEM-style Borg mechanical movement for about $150....they did that for my 63 for judging...
The following users liked this post:
sandymac (03-22-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 03:58 PM
sandymac
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I don't know, but why swap in a used movement of unknown quality ?

The Clock Works will install a new, OEM-style Borg mechanical movement for about $150....they did that for my 63 for judging...
Thanks Frankie - The answer is NOS may have access to some old NOS - I will also look into the Clockworks - there are a few vendors did not realize they would use mechanical vs quartz - call Me old fashioned I appreciate your response
Old 03-22-2018, 04:01 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Or, if you are not concerned about judging, you can get a DIY quartz movement kit for about $50.00. Easy to do, more accurate, and much less current draw.

The only visual difference is that the second hand sweeps, not "tics". I have had the same quartz conversion kit in my 67 for 25 years now - still going strong!
Old 03-22-2018, 04:09 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

The quartz is indeed nice and i ran one in my 61 for a decade with zero issues.

As to NOS movements from other cars...I would think the electrical connector on the back and the stem position/operation to set the time might be the big issues - don't know for sure...

Checked The Clock Works out of curiosity and they now offer a much improved mechanical movement for an up-charge that will still pass judging - interesting:
Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 03-22-2018 at 04:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bluestripe67 (03-22-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 06:07 PM
VetteZr
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

And the quartz conversions aren't $50 no more, the cheapest I have found them is $85 now.

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
Or, if you are not concerned about judging, you can get a DIY quartz movement kit for about $50.00. Easy to do, more accurate, and much less current draw.

The only visual difference is that the second hand sweeps, not "tics". I have had the same quartz conversion kit in my 67 for 25 years now - still going strong!
Old 03-23-2018, 07:21 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley

Maybe someone can explain... about 15 years ago I bought an inexpensive analog wall clock from K-Mart. I think is was about 10-15 bucks. It has what I believe is a "quartz" movement that's about the size of a couple of matchbooks, and I've seen this same movement on other clocks.

It "ticks" second by second - not a constant velocity sweep. Other than needing a new AA battery every year or two it still works and keeps very good time.

So why can't one of these inexpensive movements be adapted to old mechanical car clocks?

Duke

Last edited by SWCDuke; 03-23-2018 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:59 PM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by sandymac
My understanding is that a number of Chevrolet's used the same borg warner clock movement - thus for example clock guts from a another car of the same era can bu used to replace the Corvette movement with a similar mechanical movement thus keeping the clock correct.

I believe you are correct. These instructions came with my quartz clock conversion kit, looks like it fits more than just corvettes.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:31 AM
Vettegeezer
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by SWCDuke
Maybe someone can explain... about 15 years ago I bought an inexpensive analog wall clock from K-Mart. I think is was about 10-15 bucks. It has what I believe is a "quartz" movement that's about the size of a couple of matchbooks, and I've seen this same movement on other clocks.

It "ticks" second by second - not a constant velocity sweep. Other than needing a new AA battery every year or two it still works and keeps very good time.

So why can't one of these inexpensive movements be adapted to old mechanical car clocks?

Duke
Two problems with trying to get this type of clock movement to pass judging:
1. Even though the second hand moves in one second steps, there is no audible ticking sound.
2. The instant you remove power to the clock it will stop. Not so with the original Borg clock mechanism as there is an internal spring that will allow the clock to run a few seconds until spring tension is lost.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:25 AM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

The clock I referred to actually does "tick", but it probably has a somewhat different sound than a Corvette clock. Also, no reason why it couldn't be battery powered, but that would probably require removing the clock to change the battery.

Since a lot of guys have battery cutoff switches, the clock needs to be reset every time you use the car if it's to be of any value, which would not be the case if the clock has it's own battery.

Duke

Last edited by SWCDuke; 03-24-2018 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:44 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Those slick quartz movements may tick but they won’t have the “snap” every few minutes for the wind up function as an original does.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:18 PM
BB767
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 354 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink

I had the Clock Works do this for my '66 convertible as well. They are nice folks and they do high quality workmanship.

Since I disconnect my car's battery whenever my car is parked in the garage for any length of time, the clock doesn't run. The tech at the C W's told me my new clock should last almost indefinitely as the most common failure is from pitting on the clock contact points which doesn't occur with the battery disconnected.

Thomas
Old 03-24-2018, 04:41 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by SWCDuke
The clock I referred to actually does "tick", but it probably has a somewhat different sound than a Corvette clock. Also, no reason why it couldn't be battery powered, but that would probably require removing the clock to change the battery.

Since a lot of guys have battery cutoff switches, the clock needs to be reset every time you use the car if it's to be of any value, which would not be the case if the clock has it's own battery.

Duke
I put a replacement quartz clock in my car and it has a “tic tic” motion, not a “sweep “ motion.

I added a bypass wire to my battery cutoff with a 3 amp inline fuse so the clock still runs with the cutoff open. If someone tries to start the car, the car won’t start and the fuse to the clock blows.

Steve
Old 03-24-2018, 04:45 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by BB767
I had the Clock Works do this for my '66 convertible as well. They are nice folks and they do high quality workmanship.

Since I disconnect my car's battery whenever my car is parked in the garage for any length of time, the clock doesn't run. The tech at the C W's told me my new clock should last almost indefinitely as the most common failure is from pitting on the clock contact points which doesn't occur with the battery disconnected.

Thomas
Put a 12V remote relay on my clock power that operates from key fob....clock does not run except for car shows/cruises even with the power on.
Attached Images  
Old 03-25-2018, 11:22 AM
327carguy
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default just wondering why

If someone is not concerned with judging, but they are concerned with the battery draw down, why hasn't someone come up with clockworks that snap on to a 9 volt battery. That battery could be placed in your glove compartment? On when you want it. Off when you don't. May even tick. Of course then you would have to hide the battery (behind the glove compartment maybe).

Last edited by 327carguy; 03-25-2018 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:35 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 403 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by 327carguy
If someone is not concerned with judging, but they are concerned with the battery draw down, why hasn't someone come up with clockworks that snap on to a 9 volt battery. That battery could be placed in your glove compartment? On when you want it off when you don't. May even tick. Of course then you would have to hide the battery (behind the glove compartment maybe).
That's a great idea. It would show the correct time all the time, without resting every time the juice came back on.

Get notified of new replies

To Borg Warner Clock replacement

Quick Reply: [C2] Borg Warner Clock replacement