C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Question before I start cutting - spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 08:56 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Question before I start cutting - spoiler

I'm getting ready to fit a 67-69 camaro spoiler and I'm keeping my front bumpers (as worthless as they are - but chrome!) and want to be sure I'm visualizing this right.

Do you cut that far down into the face of the spoiler? I measured my bumper mounts from the cowl where the spoiler will go and matched that. Seems pretty damn far...
Attached Images  
Old 04-04-2018, 09:42 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,269 Likes on 1,690 Posts

You're not visualizing this correctly at all.
A 67-69 Camaro spoiler on your mid-year Corvette?
Your front bumpers are worthless?
Oh my goodness.
You need an intervention.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:00 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Originally Posted by 65hihp
You're not visualizing this correctly at all.
A 67-69 Camaro spoiler on your mid-year Corvette?
Your front bumpers are worthless?
Oh my goodness.
You need an intervention.
Dude just a joke about bumpers. If you hit something, they don’t really do much.

FYI- this is a common mod. The Camero spoiler fits the lower valence almost perfectly.

Thanks for the constructive assistance. Perhaps someone else can actually help and not be a dick. Hint: that’s what we do for each other here.

That’s why I’m posting this and asking questions. I’m not really sure how to get the cutouts nice and tight.

Last edited by TJefferson2020; 04-04-2018 at 10:39 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:24 AM
troutster71
Racer

Location: Albuquerque Resistance is not futile. It's voltage divided by current.
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Use some cardboard and make a template to fit around the bumper bracket. Same template should fit both sides. Mark a centerline on the lower valence and transfer that and the cutouts to the spoiler.

Actually read your post again, you're almost there. Verify centerline of car and spoiler, and start cutting and fitting. Not too wide, not too deep.
You may have to fit it several times. Be patient, you'll get it.
Good luck, I want to see it!
Old 04-05-2018, 06:17 AM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,269 Likes on 1,690 Posts

I could see you need help, badly.
That's why I posted. It's what we do here.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:48 AM
Gavin65
Drifting

Received 745 Likes on 490 Posts

yes please post pictures im very interested on how it looks.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:55 AM
Lotsacubes
Melting Slicks

Received 903 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by troutster71
Use some cardboard and make a template to fit around the bumper bracket. Same template should fit both sides. Mark a centerline on the lower valence and transfer that and the cutouts to the spoiler.

Actually read your post again, you're almost there. Verify centerline of car and spoiler, and start cutting and fitting. Not too wide, not too deep.
You may have to fit it several times. Be patient, you'll get it.
Good luck, I want to see it!
You have pics of yours? Love to see some front pics of the whole car. Since it's a bolt on - no change to anything I've entertained doing it just to amuse myself..... and others.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:39 AM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by SnakePlisken
I'm getting ready to fit a 67-69 camaro spoiler and I'm keeping my front bumpers (as worthless as they are - but chrome!) and want to be sure I'm visualizing this right.

Do you cut that far down into the face of the spoiler? I measured my bumper mounts from the cowl where the spoiler will go and matched that. Seems pretty damn far...
Where did you get it from and what was it’s cost?
Old 04-05-2018, 09:34 AM
RJ1
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts

Snake not sure where you got the Camaro spoiler but I have one on my car now without the bumper. Also had the spoiler with the bumper. Your mock up looks correct. But I don't have a picture with the bumper. Sold it on the forum. One other thing to consider is how wide your spoiler is. Your bottom valance curves while the spoiler top is straight. So on both spoilers had to take out a section on each side to get the right width to easily attack to the valance before the valance takes it's shape curve up. So test fit that fit first before doing any cutting. Name:  IMG_0046.JPG
Views: 1614
Size:  2.81 MB
Old 04-05-2018, 09:42 AM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by RJ1
Snake not sure where you got the Camaro spoiler but I have one on my car now without the bumper. Also had the spoiler with the bumper. Your mock up looks correct. But I don't have a picture with the bumper. Sold it on the forum. One other thing to consider is how wide your spoiler is. Your bottom valance curves while the spoiler top is straight. So on both spoilers had to take out a section on each side to get the right width to easily attack to the valance before the valance takes it's shape curve up. So test fit that fit first before doing any cutting. Attachment 48271190
Does it help? My '65 gets squirrelly around 150 MPH when I look in the rear view and see the C6, C5 Z06, Subaru WRX turbo, 427/435, etc. that I just blew away.

I'm thinking that leaving the bumpers in place will diminish its effectiveness because they themselves act as wing surfaces.

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 04-05-2018 at 09:45 AM.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:53 AM
RJ1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 65tripleblack
Does it help? My '65 gets squirrelly around 150 MPH when I look in the rear view and see the C6 I just blew away.
Triple
I haven't got to it up 150 but car is solid over 100 MPH. Car is also lowered which should be helping as well. Mainly like the look of the front spoiler!!
Old 04-05-2018, 10:01 AM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by RJ1
Triple
I haven't got to it up 150 but car is solid over 100 MPH. Car is also lowered which should be helping as well. Mainly like the look of the front spoiler!!
Yes it looks good!
Old 04-05-2018, 10:51 AM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by RJ1
Snake not sure where you got the Camaro spoiler but I have one on my car now without the bumper. Also had the spoiler with the bumper. Your mock up looks correct. But I don't have a picture with the bumper. Sold it on the forum. One other thing to consider is how wide your spoiler is. Your bottom valance curves while the spoiler top is straight. So on both spoilers had to take out a section on each side to get the right width to easily attack to the valance before the valance takes it's shape curve up. So test fit that fit first before doing any cutting. Attachment 48271190
What did you put in the space previously occupied by the front bumper brackets in your grill?
Old 04-05-2018, 11:15 AM
RJ1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by firstgear
What did you put in the space previously occupied by the front bumper brackets in your grill?
Year One. It's a side marker light from early Camaro.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:57 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Originally Posted by 65hihp
I could see you need help, badly.
That's why I posted. It's what we do here.
Yet you offered nothing but judgement.

Originally Posted by Gavin65
yes please post pictures im very interested on how it looks.
Will do.

Originally Posted by firstgear
Where did you get it from and what was it’s cost?
Ecklers. I think $90. Can’t remember exactly.

Originally Posted by RJ1
Triple
I like the look too. At the same time, at 85-90 mph it does lift. I’ve read other members say it really does help reduce the flying.

It doesn’t really require any mods to the car. It can be removed easily.

My car is a super nice driver. Not a collector prize. I drive the **** out of it.
Attached Images  
Old 04-05-2018, 11:00 PM
MAD IN NC
Team Owner

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,240 Posts
Crowd Plow For Now

Yet you offered nothing but judgement.

Will do.

Ecklers. I think $90. Can’t remember exactly.

I like the look too. At the same time, at 85-90 mph it does lift. I’ve read other members say it really does help reduce the flying.

It doesn’t really require any mods to the car. It can be removed easily.

My car is a super nice driver. Not a collector prize. I drive the **** out of it.
*fixt

Old 04-06-2018, 12:21 AM
00fxd
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

I wish I didn't have to have a front spoiler but I know that they work. It gets in the way sometimes.
When I ordered mine I seem to recall that the 67/68 was a different part # then a '69. One was narrower - order the narrow one.
I prefer the natural color as original.
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To Question before I start cutting - spoiler

Old 04-06-2018, 12:37 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

this is the S10 airdam I mounted on my 62. it REALLY helped stability at high speed; I could take hands off (yeah, not a good idea...) the wheel and it would go straight for as long as the road allowed. as I remember, AZDoug had similar results with the dam he added to his 61.

unfortunately, it dragged on driveway approaches, so I had to take it off....

Bill
Attached Images  
Old 04-06-2018, 09:52 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Made a cardboard one. Very good idea. My cuts were too wide. If you put in in on an angle than pit in place you can have more narrow cut outs. I also see the issue with length. It looks like most people trim off each end to fit within the width and curve of the lower valence.

I’ll need to check what year mine is. I thought 69. But not sure. Overall it fits really well. I’ll take some photos tomorrow. It seems I can likely install it without even removing the bumper. (A job I hate...)
Old 04-07-2018, 08:04 AM
RJ1
Burning Brakes

Made a cardboard one. Very good idea. My cuts were too wide. If you put in in on an angle than pit in place you can have more narrow cut outs. I also see the issue with length. It looks like most people trim off each end to fit within the width and curve of the lower valence.

I’ll need to check what year mine is. I thought 69. But not sure. Overall it fits really well. I’ll take some photos tomorrow. It seems I can likely install it without even removing the bumper. (A job I hate...)
Snake not sure about cutting the ends off. The strength in the spoiler is in the fold all around the edges. Cutting the ends will make it very weak and flimsy. I cut two sections out. One on each side of the center point then put back together to get the right width. This keeps the strength in the total shorter spoiler. Used fiberglass strips to put back together. You might want to check the year of the Camaro the spoiler is for since they may vary in length.

Last edited by RJ1; 04-07-2018 at 09:38 AM.

Quick Reply: [C2] Question before I start cutting - spoiler