C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Public Service Announcement

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 11:48 AM
pop23235
Safety Car

Received 1,025 Likes on 684 Posts

Default Public Service Announcement

This is not directly related to our Toys, but the daily drivers we use. Test your ABS now and be prepared for how it really works so you can allow for it's results.
Driving into Atlanta yesterday, traffic really heavy but moving rapidly. I notice brake lights ahead and apply brakes as in scrubbing off speed, not stopping. Kept about 4 or 5 car lengths room ahead. Any more and someone fills it. After about 50 or 75 yards, I notice the two cars directly in front are beginning to brake harder, so I did as well. No issue as I still have 2 or 3 car lengths clear and we're down to maybe 35mph when I notice the rear of the car in front raise and the front dip and they stopped dead. So I get on the binders and really start stopping, still plenty of open space, when I hear "bruummp". The ABS kicked in. I immediately lost a significant amount of braking and stopped just as I kissed the rear bumper. I'm sure this system is great for ice, loose gravel, but you best be prepared for loss of braking on dry pavement, not expected if you aren't aware. My daily drivers all have ABS, and have for years, but I'd never actually actuated it to realize that on dry pavement, you may very will lose braking! So, go try it and learn what to expect before you run out of pavement.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:15 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Years ago, in my 93 GMC Typhoon, I had the same situation a "few" times. Each time the ABS kicked in, lost braking for what seemed like minutes (probably just milliseconds, but definitely longer than it should of been, and it "traveled"much further than way necessary). Other GM vehicles of the same era did not have the same ABS characteristics (we also had a S10 Blazer, and 87 Vette with ABS), and they braked properly. I learned that GM had a recall for the ABS system on similar vehicles (S-10 Blazer, Olds "Bravada", and GMC Jimmy), but it did not cover the Typhoon....Never could get a straight answer from GM....

Yes, check your ABS as Pop23235 indicated!

Last edited by Plasticman; 04-16-2018 at 12:18 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:45 PM
DSR
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 93 Posts

My HD has ABS. The back wheel locks up way too easy. I like to control wheel lock up with brake pedal pressure rather then ABS. I guess I need a older bike.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:32 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,333 Posts

I cycle my ABS about quarterly by standing on them from highway speed on a clear, untraveled stretch of highway.

I have done this with the wife in the car for her information, and yes, I tell her first.

Last edited by Easy Rhino; 04-16-2018 at 01:34 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:52 PM
out2kayak
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 271 Likes on 129 Posts

My 2011 4Runner has a bit of a death wish on the road I travel to go north from the house. One of the corners has a bit of reverse angle to it. The truck reads it that I'm going out of control if I lightly tap the breaks just before going into the turn.

I've had it several times engage ABS fully and try to veer the truck into the center of the road. This can give some pucker factor, especially if their is a car coming in the opposite direction.

I've been able to muscle the truck back into my lane, but for the unsuspecting driver this could have turned out quite serious.

If the road has the normal curvature for the top or the brake is not pressed, it works fine.

I am so glad that the government has the automotive engineering experts that mandated stability control for 2011 and later vehicles:

https://www.autoblog.com/2007/04/09/...ntrol-mandate/

Yes, everyone should fully test their vehicle in a safe location to understand its operational boundaries.

-- Joe

Last edited by out2kayak; 04-16-2018 at 08:52 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:16 PM
2tired
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 74 Posts

I'm now discovering the faults of my 2001 S-10 ABS. I inherited it from my father in Feb. and it has triggered several times way too easily. I have heavy Ford SUVs that have only activated on ice. If this is typical for GM trucks, I don't want another.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:23 PM
John BX NY
Drifting

Received 337 Likes on 229 Posts

From the Corvette owners manual :

Antilock Brake System (ABS)
This vehicle has an Antilock Brake System (ABS), an advanced electronic braking system that helps prevent a braking skid.

When the vehicle begins to drive away, ABS checks itself. A momentary motor or clicking noise may be heard while this test is going on, and it may even be noticed that the brake pedal moves a little. This is normal.

If there is a problem with ABS, this warning light stays on. See Antilock Brake System (ABS) Warning Light.

If driving safely on a wet road and it becomes necessary to slam on the brakes and continue braking to avoid a sudden obstacle, a computer senses the wheels are slowing down. If one of the wheels is about to stop rolling, the computer will separately work the brakes at each wheel.

ABS can change the brake pressure to each wheel, as required, faster than any driver could. This can help you steer around the obstacle while braking hard.

As the brakes are applied, the computer keeps receiving updates on wheel speed and controls braking pressure accordingly.

Remember: ABS does not change the time needed to get a foot up to the brake pedal or always decrease stopping distance. If you get too close to the vehicle in front of you, there will not be enough time to apply the brakes if that vehicle suddenly slows or stops. Always leave enough room up ahead to stop, even with ABS.

Using ABS
Do not pump the brakes. Just hold the brake pedal down firmly and let ABS work. You may hear the ABS pump or motor operating and feel the brake pedal pulsate. This is normal.

Braking in Emergencies
ABS allows you to steer and brake at the same time. In many emergencies, steering can help more than even the very best braking.

Last edited by John BX NY; 04-16-2018 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:28 PM
John BX NY
Drifting

Received 337 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by 2tired
I'm now discovering the faults of my 2001 S-10 ABS. I inherited it from my father in Feb. and it has triggered several times way too easily. I have heavy Ford SUVs that have only activated on ice. If this is typical for GM trucks, I don't want another.
Your 18 year old truck may have worn front hub bearing or other issues affecting ABS operation. The system have evolved immensely over the years..
Old 04-16-2018, 11:40 PM
2tired
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 74 Posts

Maybe so, but at 36,800 miles it seems unlikely.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:44 AM
Mossy66
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Had a '94 Chevy van. Those antilock brakes were so **** poor that they were borderline dangerous. I once pulled into a parking spot behind another car along the curb at pretty slow parking lot speed. The left front got on a patch of ice and activated the antilock brakes. It was like I lost all the brakes even though the other three tires were on dry pavement. It seemed like it took forever to come to a stop from about 10MPH. I stopped in time, but I never trusted those brakes again.

The other problem with them was that once they activated, they would stay activated even after you crossed over the slippery spot and back onto dry pavement. That was always fun when there was a stoplight immediately after a wet railroad crossing.

Gerry
Old 04-19-2018, 03:15 PM
pop23235
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mossy66
Had a '94 Chevy van. Those antilock brakes were so **** poor that they were borderline dangerous. I once pulled into a parking spot behind another car along the curb at pretty slow parking lot speed. The left front got on a patch of ice and activated the antilock brakes. It was like I lost all the brakes even though the other three tires were on dry pavement. It seemed like it took forever to come to a stop from about 10MPH. I stopped in time, but I never trusted those brakes again.

The other problem with them was that once they activated, they would stay activated even after you crossed over the slippery spot and back onto dry pavement. That was always fun when there was a stoplight immediately after a wet railroad crossing.

Gerry
Your last statement is the design flaw. Once activated, you’re along for the ride, no matter the reason for activation. There is no recovery.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:06 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Design flaw? The intention of ABS is to allow the driver to steer while applying maximum (or near maximum) braking. You're trading a little stopping distance to gain steer-ability.

As John BX NY posted above, "In many emergencies, steering can help more than even the very best braking."
Old 04-19-2018, 10:23 PM
pop23235
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SDVette
Design flaw? The intention of ABS is to allow the novicedriver to steer while applying maximum (or near maximum) braking. You're trading a little stopping distance to gain steer-ability.

As John BX NY posted above, "In many emergencies, steering can help more than even the very best braking."
Fixed it for ya. And in my one experience, no where near maximum braking. Have you tested yours? In 57 years driving, I’ve never needed ABS, and this one time activated cost me. I’ve never lost the ability to steer. Driven in ice and snow in Canada, all conditions in the states. It really doesn’t matter, nor matter what we think. Just warning to test and not be surprised. Each vehicle could respond differently.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:52 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by pop23235
Have you tested yours?
Yes. Track days in my C5. You get into the ABS on most braking zones. It is close to max braking.
I agree with you that it's a good idea to get a feel for this before it's "needed".

Last edited by SDVette; 04-21-2018 at 05:33 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Public Service Announcement

Quick Reply: Public Service Announcement