C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

AAARRRGGG!!! Totalled the Caddie Last Night

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 04:18 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,169 Likes on 487 Posts

Default AAARRRGGG!!! Totalled the Caddie Last Night

Coming back from a club meeting, some bozo in the oncoming traffic makes a left right in front of us.

Wife screams and I stand on the brakes as we hit him in the right rear quarter panel. No fewer than 6 air bags deployed. (Caddies don't use Takata. ) Boy they stink when they go off (smells like burning electronics combined with burnt gun powder), and fill the car with smoke. On Star instantly called the local police and notified them of our location (standard with air bag deployment) and they were there within a couple minutes.

My right hand was injured slightly (cuts and bruises), and my wife got a big welt from the seat belt.

Car is a 2014 SRX I bought new with just 12,600 miles and 7 year extended warrentee. Car was always garaged without a scratch or nick on the exterior or interior.

There is no way that I will get near the real value.

Last edited by toddalin; 05-21-2018 at 04:19 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:33 PM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 98 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Glad to hear you and your wife are OK! Sad about the Caddie. It's only money. Good luck replacing her.

Jim
In God We Trust!
Old 05-21-2018, 04:33 PM
hcallaway
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 609 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by toddalin
Coming back from a club meeting, some bozo in the oncoming traffic makes a left right in front of us.

Wife screams and I stand on the brakes as we hit him in the right rear quarter panel. No fewer than 6 air bags deployed. (Caddies don't use Takata. ) Boy they stink when they go off (smells like burning electronics combined with burnt gun powder), and fill the car with smoke. On Star instantly called the local police and notified them of our location (standard with air bag deployment) and they were there within a couple minutes.

My right hand was injured slightly (cuts and bruises), and my wife got a big welt from the seat belt.

Car is a 2014 SRX I bought new with just 12,600 miles and 7 year extended warrentee. Car was always garaged without a scratch or nick on the exterior or interior.

There is no way that I will get near the real value.

Thank God that is all the injuries you guys suffered. The Air Bags caused 3rd degree burns on my sons hand and tried to de-glove? part of the skin. Luckily he did not require grafts. Sounds like the Cadillac did what it is suppose to do!!
Old 05-21-2018, 04:46 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

You do have some negotiating power to get more for the car. You may have to get a lawyer, as the Ins co will offer you some crappy deal at first. I would counter offer with what a comparable 2017 Caddie with 12K miles on it will sell for, as 12K miles is 12K miles, or what yours would have sold for in 2015 with 12K miles.

They do have to make you whole. Offering you just enough to buy a 2014 car with 60K miles, at auction, isn't making you whole.

Don't sign off an anything until you know your hand is 100% OK. Ditto for the wife unit. Soft tissue whiplash injuries can take a few days to show up.

Doug

QUOTE=toddalin;1597245865]Coming back from a club meeting, some bozo in the oncoming traffic makes a left right in front of us.

There is no way that I will get near the real value. [/QUOTE]

Last edited by AZDoug; 05-21-2018 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:47 PM
vettepoor
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

Glad you are ok. Just went through same thing in February when my daughter’s pristine Audi Q7 was rear-ended and totaled by some inattentive bozo. Everyone survived, but insurance didn’t come close to replacing her car. Sucks big time! Good luck to you.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:55 PM
pop23235
Safety Car

Received 1,025 Likes on 684 Posts

Sadly, insurance companies all know the "real" value, but also know what lawyers charge and will reduce any offer by the amount that a lawyer would charge to win what you are due. BTDT. Lawyer actually recommended I settle and receive compensation now rather than 3 years later.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:55 PM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,436 Likes on 738 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by AZDoug
You do have some negotiating power to get more for the car. You may have to get a lawyer, as the Ins co will offer you some crappy deal at first. I would counter offer with what a comparable 2017 Caddie with 12K miles on it will sell for, as 12K miles is 12K miles, or what yours would have sold for in 2015 with 12K miles.

They do have to make you whole. Offering you just enough to buy a 2014 car with 60K miles, at auction, isn't making you whole.

y
[/QUOTE] The car is worth actual cash value as of May, 2018 with 12,000 miles on it, NOT 2015. It is worth ACV bottom line.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:48 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

You have injuries, always get an Attorney!
Old 05-21-2018, 09:58 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,098 Likes on 1,866 Posts

Certainly glad you and your bride came out of this fairly unscathed...the car did what it was designed to do. My experience may be entirely different than others but I have had to deal with my insurance company three times in the last 10 years involving total loss car accidents (my wife's car, my son's car and my granddaughter's car). I'm in the automobile business so I know what current retail values are on cars...it's what I do every day. On all three cars, my insurance company settled with me for current NADA retail value PLUS the state tax that I would have to pay to replace and register a "like" automobile. One accident I was with State Farm, the last two with USAA. Again, my experience may be different than others, but I have been pleased with my results. The iron can be replaced...we can't be.
P.S. I don't know the trim level of your SRX but the link below will help you get the info you need. Hope this helps.
https://www.autotrader.com/research/...2600&zip=75082

Last edited by leif.anderson93; 05-21-2018 at 10:03 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:01 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,492 Likes on 1,645 Posts

I'm surprised you haven't been solicited by law firms already offering to represent you. That's standard operating procedure around here. The main issue is you and your wife are basically OK. The insurance company will want you to settle it will be up to you how much you are willing to stand on principal. Believe me they hate that word. If you can wait them out which could take a couple of years you will do better. If you are willing to go that route make sure you have pictures and make notes so when you have to repeat your version of what happens it never varies. It's a battle so take the fight to them and never look back!
Old 05-21-2018, 10:53 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by leif.anderson93
P.S. I don't know the trim level of your SRX but the link below will help you get the info you need. Hope this helps.
https://www.autotrader.com/research/...2600&zip=75082

Thanks for that. Interesting that some of my features (e.g., voice command, driver alert, full-sized spare tire) aren't even listed.

Last edited by toddalin; 05-21-2018 at 11:28 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:57 PM
scopeli
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

All I did was locate a similar car as mine and the insurance company negotiated the price with the dealer. With your minor injuries I would think you would have no problems getting the 2015 SRX with 12,000 miles that is on ebay.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:38 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by scopeli
All I did was locate a similar car as mine and the insurance company negotiated the price with the dealer. With your minor injuries I would think you would have no problems getting the 2015 SRX with 12,000 miles that is on ebay.
Just a couple with ~12K miles and only 1 or 2 with our equipment and those are $32-35K out of state.

Last edited by toddalin; 05-21-2018 at 11:39 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:03 AM
63 340HP
Team Owner

Received 2,346 Likes on 891 Posts

It's good to hear you and your wife are relatively unhurt. Even with air bags a lot can go wrong.

Hold off on a settlement, as the bills take time to arrive.

Last November a lady in a Honda backed out of a residential driveway without looking, while making a turn-around after picking up her child after school, and into the path of my son riding on one of his motorized bicycles. This was thirteen houses down the street, and five houses from a 4-way stop intersection. His speed was still below 20 mph, as he did not have room to spool it up on the pipe, a low speed validated by the police report. The lady's car had a caved in rear quarter. My son's bike was totaled. She drove away. My wife took my son to urgent care. He is young and flexible, and had a helmet and jacket, so other than soft tissue damage in the groin and chipped teeth he is well. The EMR bill from the FD was $300. Dental and Urgent Care costs are currently about $1,000 and bills are still coming in. Building another bike will take a bit more. The lady's insurance wanted to settle immediately, even before the bills arrived. They want to split costs, saying excessive speed was a factor (and went silent when I referenced the police report). When the bills are totaled up, we will make an offer of compensation costs, and pain & suffering. It's been a few decades since I had to retain an injury Attorney to know the current multiplier for P&S (anyone?), but it's something to incorporate.

He bent the back of the valve cover gas tank, as he slid forward, before sailing over the lady's car (big ouch). Something damaged the engine case on the sprocket side. Broken frame, bent fork, bent pipe, and both rims egged. The local PD & FD assessed he did not have a concussion and quizzed him on the bike build until shock wore off, before he was released to be driven to urgent care.

The PD said it was probably texting and not looking, but they have no proof.

Be careful out there.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:42 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Lawyer up - that's all I can say; but be prepared, if the other party has no insurance or assets, to suck wind.....27% of Florida driver's are uninsured....

Thank God the airbags protected you and your wife...as to the last post....your kid was damned smart wearing a helmet and jacket.... I see way too many "rugged individualist" bike riders in Florida, hair blowing in the breeze wearing a tank top, shorts and flip flops....and God knows I used to do it 50 years ago. Many of my friends from back then have pinned together limbs, walk funny and asphalt embedded in their skin permanently... I was lucky.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:30 AM
Duck916
Team Owner

Location: Various places in California. Not currently aflame.
Received 634 Likes on 392 Posts

Glad to hear you're okay.

If you do decide to get a lawyer, make sure you get a recommendation from someone in the know. There are lots of PI lawyers whose skill level is primarily about advertising. As one who has spent 32 years in the insurance claims industry in Southern California, I can tell you that we laugh at most of the attorneys.

If you hire an attorney, get one that doesn't make us laugh. PM me if you'd like to discuss.

Originally Posted by 63_340HP
It's been a few decades since I had to retain an injury Attorney to know the current multiplier for P&S (anyone?), but it's something to incorporate.
Be careful about multipliers. What really counts is the injury and facts of loss. A broken arm with $2000 in meds is worth a lot more than a soft-tissue DC-treated sore back with $5000 in meds. I'm happy to provide insight if you want to PM me down the road.

(Caveat--if one of the insurance companies I work for is involved, I would have to refrain from providing any advice, but would still be happy to ensure the claims person properly handles the claim.)
The following users liked this post:
solidaxel (07-25-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 02:39 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Thanks guys.

Just so happens that my best friend, since 6th grade, is an attorney and a car guy (Porsche/Mercedes but we won't hold that against him).

When my wife and I were rear ended on the freeway, he and I took on State Farm's Colossus computerized system in court, and beat it when they tried to low-ball us. They also argued that because I was a consultant, I could work any hours I wished, so they did not want to consider lost wages for time spent in treatment. Uh huh.

https://www.millerandzois.com/colossus.html

Last edited by toddalin; 05-22-2018 at 02:47 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To AAARRRGGG!!! Totalled the Caddie Last Night

Old 05-22-2018, 03:02 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by toddalin
Some interesting reading at that link and links at that link.
Thanks,
Doug
Old 05-23-2018, 09:26 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Not quite so bad. Repair estimate is $13K plus anything else they find on disassembly. They will not total it out for that.

Now my bone to pick with their insurance company is the loss of value for having a car in perfect shape with <13K miles vs having that same car with the report of an air bag deployment accident.

If/when I sell the car in three years (when the extended warrentee expires) with ~20K miles, how much am I going to loose in resale value because of the accident???

The adjuster said it would certainly be something, but wouldn't venture a guess.

And while one can find info on accident vs non-accident SRXs resale, the ultra low miles has to be considered into this somehow.

Last edited by toddalin; 05-23-2018 at 09:30 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:15 PM
pop23235
Safety Car

Received 1,025 Likes on 684 Posts

It's called Diminished Value. You'll need an expert appraisal. Your lawyer friend can guide you. I'd venture you're looking at five figures, minimum. BTDT

Quick Reply: AAARRRGGG!!! Totalled the Caddie Last Night