C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Dual Snorkel air cleaner ID

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 10:39 AM
beekppr
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Dual Snorkel air cleaner ID

Hi guys, I picked this air cleaner up years ago with the thought of using it on my 64 but recently decided not to. Instead, I'm going to sell it but I wanted to make sure of exact application before advertising it so someone doesn't get stuck with something they cannot use.

There are a couple of things about the base that seem different than other Vette cleaners I find on the internet forcing me to wonder if it's actually for something different. Take note of the recessed front area between the snorkels. Don't see this on other air cleaners. Also, the "pcv" inlet on the bottom is near the front making me think 1963 so it connects to the oil fill tube however there is no 90 elbow on the bottom and it is rounded and smooth so I don't think it was cut. It seems by design as though something plugs into it from underneath.

Someone suggested Corvair and at first glance it seemed possible. In studying hundreds of photos though of the dual Snorkel corvair units, there are many obvious differences in the base. It's still far more similar to Vette than corvair.

Can anyone enlighten me here?

Old 05-22-2018, 11:30 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,315 Posts

This is just a guess, but it might be a Chevrolet service replacement 63 Corvette air cleaner.

Production 63 air cleaners didn't have the half circle indent, in the rear of the base. That indent's only found on 64-65 bases, but 64-65 bases have a large breather tube installed in the indent.

The small hole in the front is where the 63 base had it's breather tube, but it's not uncommon to find breather tubes missing from used air cleaner bases.

Instead of having to stock two different stampings, it would make sense that GM would modify the later base to use for 63's. I can't say for sure that that's the case with this case, but it wouldn't have been the first time that GM modified a later part, to use it as a service replacement part, for an earlier year.
The following users liked this post:
beekppr (05-22-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 11:55 AM
beekppr
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62
This is just a guess, but it might be a Chevrolet service replacement 63 Corvette air cleaner.

Production 63 air cleaners didn't have the half circle indent, in the rear of the base. That indent's only found on 64-65 bases, but 64-65 bases have a large breather tube installed in the indent.

The small hole in the front is where the 63 base had it's breather tube, but it's not uncommon to find breather tubes missing from used air cleaner bases.

Instead of having to stock two different stampings, it would make sense that GM would modify the later base to use for 63's. I can't say for sure that that's the case with this case, but it wouldn't have been the first time that GM modified a later part, to use it as a service replacement part, for an earlier year.
That's an interesting idea and it fits better than any other information I have been able to dig up. I have been scouring the web for similar pictures but I can find nothing. The only other thought I had was 1963 AC cars might be different than non AC cars and since there weren't a ton of original AC cars in those early years, maybe that's what it is. It also seems possible that the aftermarket didn't bother with reproducing them since the demand can't be all that high. Haven't found anything to support this though so it's all just a wild theory.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:53 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by gbvette62

Exactly right....
The following users liked this post:
beekppr (05-22-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Dual Snorkel air cleaner ID

Quick Reply: Dual Snorkel air cleaner ID