C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Child's Chevorlet Bel Air, Md

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 03:28 PM
elwood13
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,078 Posts
Default Child's Chevorlet Bel Air, Md

Well I paid for the dealer info on my 67 and the results came back showing the car originally went to Child's Chevrolet Olds Cadi in Bel Air, Md. From what I have found the dealership was sold in the 80's. I called the current dealer just for grins to see if there was a snowball's chance in Texas that they may have an old file room. You could tell I blew away the young girls mind who answered the phone because I did not ask for sales, service or parts. She said she had no clue who to transfer me and I let it go at that. Does anyone have any info or experience with this dealership? Just thought it would be fun to know. At least I guess I know where my car started and everything from 1976 forward. Just have a nine year gap to solve.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:04 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Lookup the Freestate Corvette Club of Md. They have been around a long time. Dennis
The following users liked this post:
elwood13 (05-24-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 05:35 PM
elwood13
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Dennis. Will do.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:27 PM
fsc66
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 54 Posts

Default A few old ads

Originally Posted by elwood13
Thanks Dennis. Will do.

elwood13 (05-24-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 05:48 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

I know Child's Chevrolet very well. I lived in Harford County, MD for 38 years.

The Bel Air Corvette Club did annual shows there... The dealership sorta sponsored the club.

Childs Chevy used to be in downtown Bel Air on Bond Street. They moved to their Rt. 1 location long before I moved there in 1974.

Childs was sold to Jack Curlett... and became Curlett Chevrolet. It was sold again, and became Team Chevrolet. Then it was sold again and became Bob Bell Chevrolet of Bel Air.

It's still Bob Bell today.

Mr. Bill Childs is still around... Lives in Bradenton, Florida. Mr. Childs is in his late 80's now.

His son, Tom and I were good friends for many years. Unfortunately, Tom died recently of brain cancer. Tom was in his late 60's.

Tom and his brother Jeff... after the Chevy store was sold.. bought Auto Village Cadillac/Olds in Bel Air. I've lost touch with Jeff Childs, but he might still be connected with Auto Village Cadillac in Bel Air.

IIRC, the old Auto Village dealership is now called Heritage Cadillac, still in the same location in Bel Air.
elwood13 (05-25-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 09:44 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I forgot all about the Bel Air CC. Isn't 3:48 AM a little early for the CF? Dennis
Old 05-25-2018, 10:15 AM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

My parents moved to Bel Air in June 1969 and I remember the old Childs Chevrolet on Bond street, it's a parking lot now for the courthouse.

My memory of the building is typical of many Chevrolet dealerships from the period, I wish I had a picture to post. The dealership was located at the corner of Bond and Thomas st, Bond was two way at the time and Thomas st. was just a little side street. There were small businesses (sub shop, cleaners, etc.) along the Thomas street side.

When I was in eighth and ninth grade we would walk into town and play pinball at the sub shop on Thomas st. then hitch hike to Hamilton Park swimming pool if someone's mother could not give us a ride. I remember it being a big deal when the new dealership was being built because it looked so modern looking. Many here can probably relate to their growing up days in towns that had a simple lifestyle, that was the Bel Air that I was so fortunate to grow up in. You could target practice, hunt, motorcycles, fast cars, etc., great memories.

When I joined the BACC in the later seventies the car show was at the Harford Mall and Childs Chevrolet. It was through the BACC that I met Tom Jr, he was my friend.

Ellwood13, I have seen pictures of your 67 and it has the potential to be a nice car, I can assure you that Tom Jr probably exercised it enough to get the bugs out before it got delivered. :-)

I do want to pass along that Tom's very nice low mileage 73 Coupe is now for sale over at the C3 section for sale ads. NCRS top flight and then Tom had vintage A/C very nicely added, rust free unlike so many of these C3's. This 73 is a thirty some thousand original mile car with the original paint, I have seen the car up close. If you are looking for a nice shark car take a look, you will be hard pressed to find a better one.
The following 2 users liked this post by tbarb:
Chuck Gongloff (05-25-2018), elwood13 (05-25-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 10:38 AM
elwood13
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks guys. Sorry to hear about Tom. I'm sure like most dealerships, any paperwork for this car is long gone. I googled the address yesterday and wondered if the court building was the former dealer location and then fsc66 posted the news article. tbarb, one car is all I can handle at the moment but thanks for the info. Tom Jr probably started the workout regiment for this car as I believe it got exercised quite a bit. I know I gave it a workout 30 years ago. I'm organizing the garage this weekend to start work on the car.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:07 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
I forgot all about the Bel Air CC. Isn't 3:48 AM a little early for the CF? Dennis
Check that time again, Dennis..

5:48 AM

I usually get up at about 5:30 every morning.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:00 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

A number of old Bel Air Corvette Club members retired and moved to Florida. I'm one of them.

We got together regularly. We went to the 12 Hour Sebring race a couple of times together, went to the Twin 125's at Daytona, met up at swap meets like the Turkey Rod Run, etc.

Here are a couple photos of Tom Childs... at Daytona and Sebring.

Tom is in the black shirt in the first photo, on the left in the second photo, and on the right in the third photo.

I miss him. Great guy.
Attached Images    
Old 05-25-2018, 06:18 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Oh yeh Chuck. Forgot about the time zone CF shift.
Chuck Gongloff (05-25-2018)
Old 02-05-2019, 07:08 PM
opmmotorsports
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by elwood13
Well I paid for the dealer info on my 67 and the results came back showing the car originally went to Child's Chevrolet Olds Cadi in Bel Air, Md. From what I have found the dealership was sold in the 80's. I called the current dealer just for grins to see if there was a snowball's chance in Texas that they may have an old file room. You could tell I blew away the young girls mind who answered the phone because I did not ask for sales, service or parts. She said she had no clue who to transfer me and I let it go at that. Does anyone have any info or experience with this dealership? Just thought it would be fun to know. At least I guess I know where my car started and everything from 1976 forward. Just have a nine year gap to solve.
ok, last year I contacted MD, dmv. I was VERY PATIENT and polite. ( border line *** kisser ) and IT PAID OFF.,!
a few weeks later, I received a CERTIFIED copy of the original bill of sale from January of 1969.!!!! If I can help you with anything else, give me a call at, 860-331-9169
elwood13 (02-05-2019)
Old 01-08-2021, 10:58 PM
ottofaro
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wondering if you have any other documentation with your '67 showing the zone and dealership numbers? My '69 came back as Zone 14 /#125 as either Curlett/Bel Air MD or Country/Warrenton VA. I believe both are incorrect for 1969. Child's in Bel Air MD shows up as dealership 114 in the NCRS dealer code database in 1972.

Get notified of new replies

To Child's Chevorlet Bel Air, Md

Quick Reply: Child's Chevorlet Bel Air, Md