C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1966 Headlamp Wire - Unconnected

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 07:09 PM
goaler29
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1966 Headlamp Wire - Unconnected

Have discovered a double-green (i.e., 2 wire) lead with black plastic male spade coming from cable bundle on driver side that aims toward headlamp motor, but is not connected to any female receptacle. The wire is not long enough to reach motor assembly. Don't think it could be there without a specific connection.
Note there is a loose red and black wire nearby, but also unconnected.
The headlights revolve OK, but note the left lamp rises slower than right, although they both go down at same speed.
Also note on each motor assembly (on the fender side edges) a black plastic rectangular piece on side opposite where power lead connects.
Right side motor has wire connected to this black piece, but left side counterpart has no wire connected. May even be that the spade has broken off?
I see that the loose red wire could reach to this black plastic piece, which according to factory assembly manual may be "connector - switch asm, black"
Possible prior owner had to deal with lights, but it's been this way the 15 years I've owned it.
Lights function, but trying to understand what the double-green wire is for?
Factory wiring diagram has wire labeled "DG" in position I'm describing - not sure what that code means or if it's for a different connection.
Any info or suggestions welcomed. Thank you.
Dennis
Old 06-23-2018, 07:22 PM
jrm5657
Melting Slicks

Received 686 Likes on 383 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Generally, the green wire is for your horns. Post a picture and see if it goes back to your horn relay. Does your horn work now??
Old 06-23-2018, 07:53 PM
goaler29
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by jrm5657
Generally, the green wire is for your horns. Post a picture and see if it goes back to your horn relay. Does your horn work now??
Thanks for taking the time. The green wire is not long enough to reach the center-side of horn, and I can find no spade it would slip over within reach of wire.
Dual horns and think they both work, as both are connected to wires. Passenger side horn has spade connector, but driver side has black wire screwed into right side of horn top.
Green wire won't reach that far. The lead comes from passenger side horn.
I'll have to check if both horns are working, but cannot see how the green wire could connect to driver side horn.
Still wondering about why the left headlight motor has no wire lead to the black plastic box ? Repair manual has nothing I can find about it.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:44 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,221 Likes on 2,303 Posts

The double green wire is the driver side horn the connector, should slide over that driver side lug and then split and go to the passenger side lug. It originates at the horn relay beside the black wire inthe connector. Someone may have moved the horn or the wire may be in a bind but that's where it goes
Old 06-23-2018, 09:02 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

If the two ends are already on the driver and passenger horn it's probably the other end that plugs on to the horn relay to the left of the radiator. Check to see if your horns are working and post back. The connector with two dark green wires connects to the driver's side horn.

Last edited by 65GGvert; 06-23-2018 at 09:36 PM.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:09 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

PS, the DG is for dark green.

Old 06-23-2018, 09:23 PM
65 Pro Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,048 Likes on 576 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Someone may have cut the wires and change them over the years Or they bought a different wiring harness sounds to me like they are the wires that go to the switches that tell you that the lights are open and closed there’s a switch on each headlight motor with two wires connected to each switch.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:32 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 65 Pro Vette
Someone may have cut the wires and change them over the years Or they bought a different wiring harness sounds to me like they are the wires that go to the switches that tell you that the lights are open and closed there’s a switch on each headlight motor with two wires connected to each switch.
those wires should be black and gray/black.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:00 PM
goaler29
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
those wires should be black and gray/black.
Thanks very much for the excellent explanation and diagram. Am assuming previous owner did a rewire for some reason, but both horns work.
Your comment about switches that tell you if your lights are open or closed is interesting, as I know of no such indicator on the car (Sport Coupe, Milano Maroon, 327-350, 4-speed)
Am aware of main power switches on inboard side of each motor, but there are also black boxes on outboard side of each motor assembly. Only my passenger side has a wire to it?
Replaced the headlight up/down switch years back, but didn't know there was any kind of indication other than looking at them.
Do the headlight motors ever require or benefit from any kind of lubrication?
Have never seen any reference to such.
People always want me to roll the headlights, but I never do. Figure they've only got so many revolutions and I'm not wasting them. Nighttime only.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:57 PM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

Your comment about switches that tell you if your lights are open or closed is interesting, as I know of no such indicator on the car

Old 06-24-2018, 04:07 PM
goaler29
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by buns
Talk about oblivious. All these years have seen the "Brake" light, but never gave any thought to indicator on left side. Must be because it has never lit. Going to guess that's because one of the motors doesn't have proper connection. I'll see if I can hook the loose red wire I mentioned to the left motor black box and see if it triggers "Lights".
Will have to see if I can figure some way to attach, as the spade may have broken. Only small metal stub remaining.
Do you have any thoughts on that?
Thanks very much, Dennis
Old 06-24-2018, 04:32 PM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

Is this the black box you are referring to? As was mentioned earlier, wires should be black and black/grey.

Old 06-24-2018, 05:16 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Be very careful hooking that wire to the Black Box you refer to. Both connections on that switch are ground until the headlights are fully open, then one side opens up to turn off the flashing light
Old 06-24-2018, 06:06 PM
goaler29
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by buns
Is this the black box you are referring to? As was mentioned earlier, wires should be black and black/grey.

Yes - that is box I saw and referenced. Right headlight has a wire, left side does not.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:12 PM
goaler29
Heel & Toe

Be very careful hooking that wire to the Black Box you refer to. Both connections on that switch are ground until the headlights are fully open, then one side opens up to turn off the flashing light
OK, thanks much. Only my right side has a wire to box, nothing on left side. Very hesitant to hook up any wires without knowing what's up.
Do you think the lack of a connection on left headlight is why my "Lights" indicator does not work when lights up?
Not sure I understand your comment about "one side opens up to turn off flashing light" - what light would be flashing?
If headlights in up position, wouldn't the "Lights" indicator just stay lit?
Very much appreciate your assistance.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:14 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

There should be two wires on each one. One black to ground at the radiator mount, and one gray/black going back to the dash through the bulkhead connectors. The switches provide grounds for the flashing "light" warning bulb on the dash. You can see the two lugs, one on each end of the switch for the wires.

Last edited by 65GGvert; 06-24-2018 at 06:18 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:39 PM
goaler29
Heel & Toe

There should be two wires on each one. One black to ground at the radiator mount, and one gray/black going back to the dash through the bulkhead connectors. The switches provide grounds for the flashing "light" warning bulb on the dash. You can see the two lugs, one on each end of the switch for the wires.
Just went out and checked out situation. Put headlights up and no "Lights" indicator lit.
Got a small shaving mirror (fun working in reverse) and checked both black boxes.
Right side has both wires attached and the lead goes into a cable bundle.
Left light has neither wire attached and the lugs are missing.
The red wire I mentioned looks like it was once connected to one of the lugs and there is an accompanying black wire next to it, which must be the ground.
The red wire is attached to wire that goes into same cable bundle.
If I can determine black box part name & number, can try to locate new one. I'm sure it will be murder trying to remove old one, put in new one and hook it up using mirror, as I can't gain access without taking hood off. Or maybe my grill can be loosened to gain access from underside.
Of course, even if I replace not sure indicator will light up.
Good thing is it's not critical and system currently works well. Can live with it this way.

Get notified of new replies

To 1966 Headlamp Wire - Unconnected

Old 06-24-2018, 06:59 PM
vetsvette2002
Melting Slicks

Received 288 Likes on 163 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by goaler29
OK, thanks much. Only my right side has a wire to box, nothing on left side. Very hesitant to hook up any wires without knowing what's up.
Do you think the lack of a connection on left headlight is why my "Lights" indicator does not work when lights up?
Not sure I understand your comment about "one side opens up to turn off flashing light" - what light would be flashing?
If headlights in up position, wouldn't the "Lights" indicator just stay lit?
Very much appreciate your assistance.
The red "LIGHTS" will only turn ON and Blink when you turn the headlights ON and the headlight buckets are not open or fully open. If you fully open (rotate) the neadlight buckets before you turn on the headlights, the "LIGHTS" will NOT turn on and blink.

Don
Old 06-24-2018, 07:14 PM
goaler29
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by vetsvette2002
The red "LIGHTS" will only turn ON and Blink when you turn the headlights ON and the headlight buckets are not open or fully open. If you fully open (rotate) the neadlight buckets before you turn on the headlights, the "LIGHTS" will NOT turn on and blink.

Don
Thanks, Don. Just went out and turned on lights without rotating buckets. No "Lights" indicator came on, but my lights work and buckets revolve, so guess I just don't get the warning.
Thanks for taking the time.
Dennis
Old 06-24-2018, 09:07 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

If EITHER switch is connected properly, the red "lights" window should light up when you turn on the lights with buckets not fully open. One being disconnected won't stop the other from flashing the light if it's connected properly. You may have a bad bulb, or no ground to the switches on the motors up front. If you decide to troubleshoot and fix that, I'd be glad to tell you how to tell if the switch is bad or if the bulb is bad. Personally, except for liking everything to work, I don't mind if mine doesn't work. I can see the headllight tops open over the hood line and I seldom drive it at night, so I'm ok.

Quick Reply: 1966 Headlamp Wire - Unconnected