C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] How to test a fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 09:02 PM
pgiganti
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How to test a fuel pump

I have a '64 Coupe with a 327 259hp engine. I'm taking it out of storage after 30 years and I've gotten it to where it will run off an auxiliary gas tank, but it won't run when hooked up to the fuel pump line. With the engine running and the line from the fuel pump unconnected and wide open, it's pumping zero gas through the line with the gas tank half full. I think it is either a clogged fuel line or a non-working fuel pump. Is there a manual way to check the fuel pump without just replacing it? And if the fuel pump is bad, is that an "under the car" repair, or can it be done from under the hood? I have a remote starter button hooked up if that would help the diagnosis from the engine bay.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:06 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Is the supply side of the fuel line to the pump rubber? Is suspect that that is. Disconnect it and use a piece of hose from the pump to your container. You'll also know pretty quick if gas doesn't drain when you disconnect it.
The following users liked this post:
pgiganti (06-24-2018)

Quick Reply: [C2] How to test a fuel pump