C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Inherited my dad’s 58

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 10:28 PM
ettev
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 444 Likes on 182 Posts

Default - UPDATE 11/26/2018 - Inherited my dad’s 58

My father recently told me I could have his 58. He’s owned this car since 1960, is the second owner and purchased it for $238.00 from the original owner. I was born in ‘63 so he’s had this piece longer than I’ve been in existence. It’s been off the road since 1976 in conditioned storage. When he took it off the road in ‘76 he razor blade stripped the paint and pulled most of the trim off it (which he still has). To the best we can tell its odometer shows a true 78,000.

I said all that to ask this.....when I send it out for body work and paint what products and paint manufacturers do you guys use on a C1? Guessing base coat/clear coat as opposed to any sort of single stage, but by whom? DuPont, PPG, etc? How about primer/sealer? Standard epoxy primer or something like Body Man in a Can? I’m not turning this into a top flight car, nor will it be a trailer queen. I’ve already got enough stuff like that that I don’t drive. I want this to be a good looking, fun driver.

Thanks in advance for any constructive opinions and advice.

Last edited by ettev; 11-26-2018 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Title change

Popular Reply

11-04-2018, 07:29 AM
ettev
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Body lift completed yesterday. Did it the old fashioned way.......8 strong friends. Engine out and getting a good exploratory exam. Bare frame going to the sandblaster this week.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:33 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

if you are not doing a metallic; single stage is the best plan (and the cheapest, materialwise)

Bill
Old 07-03-2018, 10:36 PM
ettev
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by wmf62
if you are not doing a metallic; single stage is the best plan (and the cheapest, materialwise)

Bill
Car was originally red/red but I can't bring myself to do that. Just not a fan, plus red/red is everywhere in the Corvette world. Right now leaning Inca White with silver cove and a blue-gray gut and soft top.

Last edited by ettev; 07-03-2018 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 07-03-2018, 10:41 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by ettev

Car was originally red/red but I can't bring myself to do that. Just not a fan, plus red/red is everywhere in the Corvette world. Right now leaning Inca White with silver cove and a blue-gray gut and soft top.

sounds great...

single stage paint jobs are just as 'pretty' as bc/cc and easier to touch up if necessary. FTF's 63 is single stage and I think John McGraw says he uses nothing but SS

Bill
Old 07-03-2018, 10:48 PM
ettev
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by wmf62
sounds great...

single stage paint jobs are just as 'pretty' as bc/cc and easier to touch up if necessary. FTF's 63 is single stage and I think John McGraw says he uses nothing but SS

Bill
Interesting......two for two on single stage. I had a white 75 years ago I painted in Deltron and that stuff was like liquid cast iron.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:55 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Not sure how much you want to spend...but just looking at the front fenders there appears to have been cracks on them from the wheel well and up....my car was this way too....I ended up getting a new hood surround and replacing the complete top of the fenders and the front top nose. a replacement hood surround is about $1500 press molded. Then there is all the labor to pull off and then attach the new, but you wont have to worry about any bleed through of the repairs on the top of the fenders over time. Here was my car at one point....notice the crack right through the fender....now that my car is done (since 2008) I installed under the fenders a reinforcement brace that runs the length of the fender along the top. Cheap insurance.....

Old 07-03-2018, 10:57 PM
ettev
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

My buddy told me about those fender reinforcements. Where do you get them?
Old 07-03-2018, 11:17 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by ettev
My buddy told me about those fender reinforcements. Where do you get them?
any of the suppliers of Corvette parts. Check at Paragon and down load their catalog...it is a good reference for how things go together as well as parts you might need.....
Old 07-03-2018, 11:21 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15

those cracks can also be started by not having the front end shimmed properly by the radiator. If it is low, then right at the top of the wheel well arch it will begin to pucker there just a bit and trouble is down the road....enjoy the car!
Old 07-04-2018, 06:41 AM
Drothgeb
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

If you are going solid color, another vote here for single stage. I start and seal with epoxy, PPG or House of Kolor for color coats. If you do clear it, Southern Polyurethane.
Old 07-04-2018, 06:47 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Single stage -- all my other classic cars were BC/CC in recent years. I can't put it into words but the single stage has a distinctive sheen to it that is mesmerizing - not the blingy liquid glass of clear coat but rather an eye-catching sheen....

I'm quite happy with it -- and touch up is much easier IMO... I'm told it has more of the original lacquer quality in the look.

Frankly, I would go with the original red/red on your car. I don't know why you think its common. C1s themselves are now uncommon, 58s even MORE uncommon and red/red 58s are like "get outta here" rare. White side coves maybe but definitely red/red IMO.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 07-04-2018 at 06:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Stan's Customs (07-10-2018)
Old 07-04-2018, 08:28 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

I agree with Frankie . Sorry , white will look drab . I would feel lucky that the original color was red on red .
The following users liked this post:
Stan's Customs (07-10-2018)
Old 07-04-2018, 08:32 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

Amazing gift from your father! You are going to get a million suggestions and mine is going to be to take your time and do it right. You will be rewarded with a gift you can bestow on your own children when they are ready.!
Old 07-04-2018, 08:33 AM
USMC 0802
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 959 Likes on 490 Posts
USMC

Congrats on your car, love the fact that it’s in the family. I would defer to your painter on the type of paint...

As far as colors, go with what YOU want and your choice sounds like a good color combo.

My ‘66 rolled off the line Mosport Green (I hate that color) and belonged to my father for 41 years - it was black since he bought it in the early 70’s and will stay that way. I love it and it’s MY car, though some day my son will own it...

Good luck and enjoy the process...And drive it!
Old 07-04-2018, 08:35 AM
Panama 58
Melting Slicks

Received 612 Likes on 334 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Single stage Panama Yellow with the original Charcoal interior and white coves is my vote.....not that the OP is asking for opinions. One year color. If correct formula is used it's a soft yellow with just a slight hint of green and still very striking in appearance. I do like your White with silver coves and silver blue interior as well. We look forward to your progress.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:11 AM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Single stage -- all my other classic cars were BC/CC in recent years. I can't put it into words but the single stage has a distinctive sheen to it that is mesmerizing - not the blingy liquid glass of clear coat but rather an eye-catching sheen....

I'm quite happy with it -- and touch up is much easier IMO... I'm told it has more of the original lacquer quality in the look.

Frankly, I would go with the original red/red on your car. I don't know why you think its common. C1s themselves are now uncommon, 58s even MORE uncommon and red/red 58s are like "get outta here" rare. White side coves maybe but definitely red/red IMO.

looking good Frankie!
Old 07-04-2018, 09:16 AM
Drothgeb
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink

With bc/cc the base is more or less opaque. So you get gloss and some depth from the clear, but not so much from the color itself. With single stage, the color has some transparency to it, that gives it depth. For a finish so deep it pulls you in. Start with single stage, then a couple of coats of single stage mixed with clear, then finally some clear if you want. Looks great in red, amazing in darker colors. Probably not worth the time and money in white though.

I’m with you on color. I like red with white coves on a C1, but can’t stand red interiors.

Get notified of new replies

To Inherited my dad’s 58

Old 07-04-2018, 09:53 AM
ettev
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Drothgeb
For a finish so deep it pulls you in. Start with single stage, then a couple of coats of single stage mixed with clear, then finally some clear if you want. Looks great in red, amazing in darker colors. Probably not worth the time and money in white though.

I’m with you on color. I like red with white coves on a C1, but can’t stand red interiors.
An old friend of mine used to do this with the single stages. I had an old 77 Chevy Monza in bright metallic red that he repainted in enamel for me. I remember him telling me that he mixed clear in the last color coat he laid on. It looked great. I do not even think he applied straight clear after that mixed top coat.

As I mentioned above I had a 75 that was done in Deltron and it looked great. No wet sanding it though......when that set up it was like cast iron.

Last edited by ettev; 07-04-2018 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Stupid iPhone auto-spell!
Old 07-04-2018, 09:58 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

I seem to recall that the under front fender reinforcement fiberglass (which looked sort of like a 'Z; shaped brace) was factory installed on 58 cars. I do not recall them for 59 and later cars.

Someone refresh my memory please.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:01 AM
tjschraf
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Sorry about your father. I can’t answer the paint questions, I just wanted to say that this is a SWEET car. My dream is to find a 58 project and for you to have it in your family for all that time is so cool to me.

Quick Reply: Inherited my dad’s 58