C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

65 radio not working on acc?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 09:33 AM
20round
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
Default 65 radio not working on acc?

hey guys, first the back round there is all new wiring threw out the car. but still the original ign switch. sooooo, any way my wife and i went for a little sunset cruise too the duck lake channel going into lake michigan.
so as we were enjoying the evening, i turned the key too the left for acc and nothing? the radio did not come on? i am thinking a contact in the ign switch? seems odd, i dont really want too take it out, i am hoping one of you guys has a magic fix for me!!! well give me your thoughts here! thanks troy
Old 07-21-2018, 08:59 AM
20round
Drifting

Originally Posted by 20round
hey guys, first the back round there is all new wiring threw out the car. but still the original ign switch. sooooo, any way my wife and i went for a little sunset cruise too the duck lake channel going into lake michigan.
so as we were enjoying the evening, i turned the key too the left for acc and nothing? the radio did not come on? i am thinking a contact in the ign switch? seems odd, i dont really want too take it out, i am hoping one of you guys has a magic fix for me!!! well give me your thoughts here! thanks troy
ttt
Old 07-21-2018, 10:00 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

So I guess it worked before the new wires. Does the radio light up? If not, start by taking the side panel off, get the connection for the radio and see if you have power there. If not check your fuse panel. I don't recall if the radio has an independent fuse or not. Dennis
Old 07-21-2018, 10:08 AM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,036 Posts

May not matter, but is it the original radio?
Old 07-21-2018, 10:12 AM
20round
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
So I guess it worked before the new wires. Does the radio light up? If not, start by taking the side panel off, get the connection for the radio and see if you have power there. If not check your fuse panel. I don't recall if the radio has an independent fuse or not. Dennis
thanks dennis, yes the radio works but only in the ign run position, and if i am sitting as i was with the engine off i dont want too use it there because it is leaving the TI unit on without the engine running.. i would think that would not be good for it...troy
Old 07-21-2018, 10:17 AM
20round
Drifting

Originally Posted by R66
May not matter, but is it the original radio?
yes it is the oem radio. it works great in the run position. but unfortunately with a bb and side pipes it is useless going down the road. thats why it would be great too have it work while parked....thanks troy
Old 07-21-2018, 10:44 AM
R66
Le Mans Master

Once again, don't know about 65, the heater fan and wipers work on R66 when the ignition is on ACC. Do your heater fan and wiper motor run? I don't know what else would work. I only have a 66 wiring diagram, so I can't be sure what the common feed is. As Dennis suggested, see if the radio has power in the ACC position if the heater fan and wiper motor run. I have a 65 ignition switch, but am not sure which lug supplies power in the ACC position. If it worked properly before replacing wiring, it is obviously something in the wiring.

Ron
Old 07-22-2018, 10:24 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,221 Likes on 2,303 Posts

There's no electrical way your radio would work in "on" but not in ''acc" unless you are also losing heater fan, wipers, and turn signals in "acc". It's all the same wires between the two positions. The ONLY difference is the contact in the ignition switch, and it's the same contact for the other functions I mentioned.

EDIT:
Okay, I lied. I was just looking at the wiring diagram. If you wired the yellow wire (black with yellow stripe on some) coming out of the fuse box that goes to the radio to the top fuse (pink circuit....gauges) instead of to the third fuse (yellow wire circuit....radio) then your radio would only play with the key in "ON". An easy way to tell is to pull the radio fuse (third from top). If your radio still plays when you turn the ignition ON, you have miswired the fuse panel yellow wire. You would only have to move the one wire to correct it.

Last edited by 65GGvert; 07-22-2018 at 10:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Frankie the Fink (07-24-2018)
Old 07-23-2018, 10:04 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

No updates?
Old 07-24-2018, 08:36 AM
R66
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
No updates?
May be busy chasing criminals.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:47 AM
20round
Drifting

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
No updates?
sorry no, it has been raining here so i put the car on the hoist and removed all three shafts to get them ballanced. my chevelle is parked under it and its been raining here for days. no complaints we need the rain. but it always seems to come when i need too do something. if it clears up today i will lower it down and check the heater controls and such too see if there is power on acc..thanks troy
Old 07-24-2018, 12:55 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

There is no need to balance the half shaft due to the very slow rotation, but the drive shaft does need to be done. Dennis
Old 07-25-2018, 07:17 AM
ejboyd5
Drifting

Received 326 Likes on 189 Posts

Try talking with your wife instead of listening to the radio. It might be good for both of you.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:24 AM
20round
Drifting

Originally Posted by R66
May be busy chasing criminals.
HAHAHAHAHA! i was done with that as of feb this yr !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but my official retirement date was june 1st this yr.. almost 30 yrs of that crap can wear a person down! now its car restorations, good whiskey and micro brewery beer!
Old 07-26-2018, 08:33 AM
20round
Drifting

Originally Posted by ejboyd5
Try talking with your wife instead of listening to the radio. It might be good for both of you.
oh we talk alot, she is a great person and we have plenty of good stuff too talk about. but she and i both are music people, so for our first cruz in the car too our old parking spot to chat and watch the sunset over lake michigan would have been nice too have some willie nelson playing in the back round. LOL...thanks troy
Old 07-26-2018, 09:17 AM
20round
Drifting

Originally Posted by R66
Once again, don't know about 65, the heater fan and wipers work on R66 when the ignition is on ACC. Do your heater fan and wiper motor run? I don't know what else would work. I only have a 66 wiring diagram, so I can't be sure what the common feed is. As Dennis suggested, see if the radio has power in the ACC position if the heater fan and wiper motor run. I have a 65 ignition switch, but am not sure which lug supplies power in the ACC position. If it worked properly before replacing wiring, it is obviously something in the wiring.

Ron
ron first let me say, the radio did not work when i got the car. i had a local electronics guru fix it for me..and as far as the original wiring goes, i did not test any of it when i bought the car.. it was not in running condition. i finally had a second this am too go out and test your thoughts on the heater switchs and such. well they do not work in ACC, damn! i put a test light on the ACC spade at the fuse box and no power there either. so this leads me too believe that i have a dirty contact in my ign switch? so it looks like i need to remove it and check it out.. it is the original switch so i am hoping i can clean it. thanks troy
Old 07-26-2018, 09:44 AM
R66
Le Mans Master

Understand Troy, you are dealing with a car BUBBA played in. I assume your dash is in and you can't access the switch very well? I really have no expertise there as I have not had mine out, hope I never have to. I have successfully cleaned and lubed a couple of IGN switches over the years.

I had a 60 Impala Convertible when I dated my girl back a half a century ago. The back seat was huge. For our 50th, she decided she wanted to relive some of the things we did back then. Let me tell you, the back seat of a 68 RS Camaro convertible is NOT lover friendly like the 60 was. There is no way I can even bend near enough to get the job done. She wants to buy another 60 Impala, just for memories, not action.

Good luck,
Ron
Old 07-26-2018, 02:39 PM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

I put a test light on the ACC spade at the fuse box and no power there either

The ACC spade at the fuse box is for Accessory Lamps. For adding lamps for cars with AC. There is only power there when the headlight switch is pulled.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:48 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 20round
ron first let me say, the radio did not work when i got the car. i had a local electronics guru fix it for me..and as far as the original wiring goes, i did not test any of it when i bought the car.. it was not in running condition. i finally had a second this am too go out and test your thoughts on the heater switchs and such. well they do not work in ACC, damn! i put a test light on the ACC spade at the fuse box and no power there either. so this leads me too believe that i have a dirty contact in my ign switch? so it looks like i need to remove it and check it out.. it is the original switch so i am hoping i can clean it. thanks troy
The only difference in the voltage for the accessories in "RUN" and "ACC" is the internal contact in the ignitions switch. All wires, fuses, grounds remain unchanged. So you are missing 12v on the brown acc wire coming out of the switch when it is in the ACC position. Has to be in the switch

Get notified of new replies

To 65 radio not working on acc?

Quick Reply: 65 radio not working on acc?