C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Frame and suspension paint

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 11:33 AM
Panama 58
Melting Slicks

Received 611 Likes on 333 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default Frame and suspension paint

I believe I have found a source for the correct Krylon semi-flat paint to do the frame. The Krylon part number is now K01613A07. It is labeled as industrial acrylic lacquer paint. I hope this is the right one because I am preparing to order a case. I used to buy the original 1613, but from my research, this is the original with a new label and part number. This is not the 51613 which we know is incorrect.

My question is, what finish do you use for the control arms and the few things that are more gloss finished? Is there a Krylon sibling of this on that is semi gloss? Thanks.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:41 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,010 Likes on 2,529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I just bought a case from Travers Tool Co, semi-flat Krylon industrial. No idea if it is "exactly" the same as something else, for my project "close" is good enough. Check them out, it may be what you are looking for. https://www.travers.com/interiorexte.../p/81-010-126/
The following users liked this post:
Hermn59 (07-24-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 01:06 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,554 Likes on 2,797 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

Why aren’t you using a catalyzed epoxy? It’s superior in every way.

That’s a legitimate and real question by the way, not one designed to cause an issue.

Last edited by Factoid; 07-24-2018 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:31 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

For the control arms if you want a bit more gloss you can try Eastwoods Chassis Black. It's been many years since I used it, but I used the original formulation on my control arms and a few other parts and it was more of a semi-gloss. If I had to guess I would say 70% gloss. Fairly tough stuff too.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:33 PM
Hermn59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 667 Likes on 349 Posts

I thought the frame was satin, some suspension parts (e.g. coil springs, sway bar) were gloss, and under hood was sem-flat.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:01 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by Factoid
Why aren’t you using a catalyzed epoxy? It’s superior in every way.

That’s a legitimate and real question by the way, not one designed to cause an issue.

I would use PPG DP 90 black epoxy primer followed by PPG Acrylic Urethane DAU 9300 Black with a bit of flattening agent added to reduce the gloss. The urethane is a two part paint. I believe John McGraw recommended this.

DAR 9000 Acrylic Enamel Black with hardener and flattening agent is another great choice for the topcoat.

If you cannot shoot it yourself, I would have a local auto shop painter do it for me............but frame should be an easy shoot.

Larry
Old 07-24-2018, 04:24 PM
Panama 58
Melting Slicks

Although I appreciate everyones opinions and suggestions on what to use, I failed to say in my original post that this is a body on "clean up" of an original '64 undercarriage. This thing is and was covered from head to toe with undercoating because it was raised in Charlottesville, Virginia and "that's what they did back then". So, I have been lovingly removing most of it and am finding incredible things along the way including a very nice original frame with a lot of original frame paint, shim markings, production numbers, shim tape at all body mount locations, etc. This car will never see the kind of weather it has seen in it's 53 years ever again, and I just want to preserve it to look like it did before the "dealer option" guy got ahold of it. I am cleaning the frame, applying a rust converter that provides me with not only a solution to what little rust there is, but it also provides a nice black primer in which to apply some paint once I determine which one. If someone could just answer my question on whether this is the right product and suggest a semi-gloss or gloss for the suspension parts I would appreciate it. Thanks guys.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:42 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by Panama 58
Although I appreciate everyones opinions and suggestions on what to use, I failed to say in my original post that this is a body on "clean up" of an original '64 undercarriage. This thing is and was covered from head to toe with undercoating because it was raised in Charlottesville, Virginia and "that's what they did back then". So, I have been lovingly removing most of it and am finding incredible things along the way including a very nice original frame with a lot of original frame paint, shim markings, production numbers, shim tape at all body mount locations, etc. This car will never see the kind of weather it has seen in it's 53 years ever again, and I just want to preserve it to look like it did before the "dealer option" guy got ahold of it. I am cleaning the frame, applying a rust converter that provides me with not only a solution to what little rust there is, but it also provides a nice black primer in which to apply some paint once I determine which one. If someone could just answer my question on whether this is the right product and suggest a semi-gloss or gloss for the suspension parts I would appreciate it. Thanks guys.
Then how about this: Quanta has 5 levels of black paint from flat to gloss in acrylic enamel. I have used the semi-gloss, medium, and semi-flat colors to do basically what you are asking. The semi-flat and the medium I like best for chassis and semi-gloss for misc components. Give it a try. Very few things take gloss or flat.

The original type chassis paint may also be available from Quanta as GM Reconditioning Black (or something similar). Part # 0616. They also sell an original asphalt based product.........which I don't recommend, but is/was original. Part # 0614.

Give Quanta website a look......Speciality Paints.

Larry

Last edited by Powershift; 07-24-2018 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:44 PM
Panama 58
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Powershift
Then how about this: Quanta has 5 levels of black paint from flat to gloss in acrylic enamel. I have used the semi-gloss, medium, and semi-flat colors to do basically what you are asking. The semi-flat and the medium I like best for chassis and semi-gloss for misc components. Give it a try. Very few things take gloss or flat.

The original type chassis paint may also be available from Quanta as GM Reconditioning Black (or something similar). Part # 0616. They also sell an original asphalt based product.........which I don't recommend, but is/was original. Part # 0614.

Give Quanta website a look......Speciality Paints.

Larry
Thanks Larry. I have used Quanta products in the past, but on C1's and don't know if the same applies on C2's. I will definitely take a look and get reacquainted with their product line. Thanks again for your experience and knowledge.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:01 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Hermn59
I thought the frame was satin, some suspension parts (e.g. coil springs, sway bar) were gloss, and under hood was sem-flat.
the frame was a asphalt based paint that wore off in a few years. Semi flat black seems to be the accepted color. If it was me I would have it powder coated.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:21 PM
Rob_64-365
Drifting

Received 624 Likes on 364 Posts

"clean up" of an original '64 undercarriage. This thing is and was covered from head to toe with undercoating because "that's what they did back then". So, I have been lovingly removing most of it..... [/QUOTE]

I am living this same nightmare with undercoating on everything, Omg, it's terrible!! Heat gun, plastic trowel, lots of elbow grease!

Old 07-24-2018, 09:37 PM
Panama 58
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Rob_64-365
"clean up" of an original '64 undercarriage. This thing is and was covered from head to toe with undercoating because "that's what they did back then". So, I have been lovingly removing most of it.....
I am living this same nightmare with undercoating on everything, Omg, it's terrible!! Heat gun, plastic trowel, lots of elbow grease![/QUOTE]
Rob, you wouldn't believe my spare tire tub and floor pans. Absolutely covered. DIdn't know fiberglass could rust............ fortunately much of the undercoating on the frame and suspension comes off pretty well with either a straight razor/scraper or a sharpened chisel. Done carefully it has preserved most of what was under the coating including shim marks, frame stencil, etc. I am still undecided what to do with the wheel wells. Even the front parking light harnesses are coated along with the body mount access plates. Here are some before and after of the rear right corner.

Get notified of new replies

To Frame and suspension paint

Quick Reply: Frame and suspension paint