Adding Power Brakes to a '67 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Adding Power Brakes to a '67

Old 08-10-2018, 12:11 AM
Good'nuff

Default Adding Power Brakes to a '67

If you were to convert to power brakes to a matching numbers car... how important (or not) is it to spend an extra $80 (and a week's longer wait) to have the booster date coded?
The car was not built with power steering or brakes... but steering was added by the previous owner.
So, if doing an "add on" extra... is the date code on a power brake booster important?... or 'not so much' because it wasn't put together that way originally?
Old 08-10-2018, 05:28 AM
tbarb
CF Senior Member

To answer your question from MY prospective it's very important. If you have a nice original car do the upgrade as best as you can do, after the job is finished you will not even think about the extra $$. Do it like factory with all correct parts, do it right and enjoy your car..

I too have a nice original 67 that I added factory P/S and it's such a nice upgrade. I also have a 67 brake booster with correct dates and part # along with a complete set of new brake lines that I plan on installing someday. I have been talking about it for the last five years but to busy with other house projects to disable the car.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:46 AM
jprop
CF Senior Member

If the conversion was done correctly and you're going to get it judged then spend the extra $80. If you're not going to get it judged then don't bother. It won't affect the value of the car either way.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:52 AM
Frankie the Fink
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 2,499 Times in 2,039 Posts

$80 spent on an original, number's matching 67. What ? A $75,000 car ? More ?

I'd rip my back pocket off to get my wallet out...its not even a question.

If your '67 is like a '63 (and I never know) be sure to remove the brake pedal return spring up inside the brake pedal support bracket - that's a dead giveaway a car has been converted...
Old 08-10-2018, 02:45 PM
emdoller
CF Senior Member

If it’s not original to the car, I’d save the $80.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:59 PM
Frankie the Fink
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 2,499 Times in 2,039 Posts

If he doesn't have the build sheet and the conversion is done right it'll be as original as a lot of other stuff that is done in the hobby....

There is no way to tell my 63 did not come with power brakes (it didn't)....I spent stupid money on rare, one-year-only parts to make that happen...
Old 08-10-2018, 03:03 PM
hope2
CF Senior Member

65-67 cars just don't need power brakes (if system working properly.) power steering, heck yes.

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: