C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] what seals are needed when swapping cam?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 04:38 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Received 137 Likes on 94 Posts

Default what seals are needed when swapping cam?

One of my winter projects is to swap a cam in my 350 crate.

Cause I live in Europe, I want to make sure I have all parts at hand when doing so. Missing one can mean weeks of waiting for it to arrive...
So, apart from the cam/lifters set: intake manifold gaskets and seals, oil pan gasket and seals , valve cover gaskets, timing chain cover gasket. Did I forget something?

Thanks
Old 09-04-2018, 06:17 AM
rsavage1
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by alexandervdr
One of my winter projects is to swap a cam in my 350 crate.

Cause I live in Europe, I want to make sure I have all parts at hand when doing so. Missing one can mean weeks of waiting for it to arrive...
So, apart from the cam/lifters set: intake manifold gaskets and seals, oil pan gasket and seals , valve cover gaskets, timing chain cover gasket. Did I forget something?

Thanks
Crank shaft seal on timing cover and water pump to block gaskets.
The following users liked this post:
alexandervdr (09-04-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 06:43 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

You might also consider a new timing chain cover gasket, if you use one, as well as a distributor gasket (in that these can get lost or destroyed over time. Lastly, the front oil pan seal that rides in the timing chain cover groove - it's a good time to refresh that one, particularly if it's weepy.
alexandervdr (09-05-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 09:33 AM
hedgehead
Race Director

Location: I'm not doing as well as I expected, but I never expected I would
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Don't they sell a gasket and seal set for that?
Old 09-04-2018, 09:34 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Make it simple. Get a full rebuild set from Fel-Pro. The distributor must come out, intake comes off, timing cover, water pump etc. Whatever is left over you might use in the future. Dennis
Old 09-04-2018, 10:15 AM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,554 Likes on 2,797 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

A couple of tips:

1. If your oil pan seal is solid and not leaking, you can simply loosen the pan bolts enough (more in the front and less in the back) to slightly drop the front of the pan to remove the timing cover (if you have a one piece oil pan gasket this is easy, if you have a multi piece gasket you can replace the separate timing cover seal, but in both cases a couple dabs of silicone in the corners when you retorque the oil pan should be all you need.

2. To get better control of the cam, thread a long bolt into the cam snout to pull it out and put it back in without damaging or dislodging the cam bearings.

3. When you reinstall the timing cover, loosely install the cover bolts and then install the crank damper and torque the cover to spec. This allows the damper sleeve to center the cover and ensure the seal rides evenly on the damper.

4. Observe the water pump bolt holes some go into the water jacket and require sealant on the threads of the mounting bolts.

5. Adjust the valve before reinstalling the intake manifold so you can watch the valve geometry carefully and ensure all components are aligned and functioning properly.

There are many more little tips and tricks like not using the end seals on the intake manifold, but this will get you started.

Best of luck and post a video of it running when you are finished.

Last edited by Factoid; 09-04-2018 at 10:16 AM.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:53 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
Make it simple. Get a full rebuild set from Fel-Pro. The distributor must come out, intake comes off, timing cover, water pump etc. Whatever is left over you might use in the future. Dennis
What Dennis said and If I was doing this I would pull the oil pan too just to make sure I didn't create any unnecessary leaks in the timing cover area. Lot of people do it different ways but why go through the trouble of pulling the top and front off the engine and not spend 1 extra hour dropping the oil pan.

Dennis
Old 09-04-2018, 12:45 PM
Drothgeb
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

Above all, make sure you have some RTV just in case.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:56 PM
63 340HP
Team Owner

Received 2,342 Likes on 891 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67

You cannot just run down to a parts store for a missing gasket, so the minimal extra cost for a full gasket set is well worth the piece of mind (and the full set is often less cost when shipping one package is considered).

Get notified of new replies

To what seals are needed when swapping cam?

Quick Reply: [C2] what seals are needed when swapping cam?