C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Are you going to have gasoline in CA in 25 years for your Corvettes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 08:02 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

In 25 years I’ll be almost 94 years old, so I probably won’t G.A.S. about gas!

And for all you guys laughing about CA, you better think twice - if gas is a problem in CA it will be a problem throughout the US.......
Old 09-12-2018, 09:01 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,167 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
In 25 years I’ll be almost 94 years old, so I probably won’t G.A.S. about gas!

And for all you guys laughing about CA, you better think twice - if gas is a problem in CA it will be a problem throughout the US.......
Agreed! Do you really think that Mad Max is going to let Humungus let our gas from our offshore refineries get through to the other states?

The following users liked this post:
Loren Smith (09-13-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 09:05 PM
out2kayak
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 271 Likes on 129 Posts

Personally, the engines and car work I do today are alcohol compatible. At worse, making grain alcohol is not all that difficult and the vehicles will run on it.

The whole laughable thing about this is that really they are running fossil fuel (coal or natural gas) powered cars. They don't want nuclear power plants (which, IMHO, is the safest solution). They don't want mining, which is where copper comes from (and what those bird blenders are made from). Sure, some power is hydro-electric, but there are many reports that Montana and other states are thinking of reducing the California portion of water and removing dams, etc. which will have a direct impact on west coast life.

Solar simply cannot provide the solution -- insufficient KWH per square inch, even if you cover the bulk of the US, given the current population growth.

Hydrogen is generated using energy (it's more of a container of energy, so to speak).

So... Either we go back to horse and buggy era (and deal with the methane emissions), simply live in caves or come to terms with modern societies require energy.

Many things grow in manure that can be fermented, which then can be burned. We get plenty of manure from various sources already, so...

Besides, does anyone ever read the Constitution? No where does it say the Federal government has the authority. I expect states will end up fighting it when they are on the brink of financial ruin or the US will end up having significant civil strife (or both).

Out of curiosity, can the California grid keep up with the present electrical demands? How do they propose to handle the vast increase if everyone uses electricity? What happens during / after Earth quakes?

-- Joe
Old 09-12-2018, 10:57 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,037 Likes on 1,251 Posts

Originally Posted by SDVette
CO2 is a greenhouse gas, and contributes to climate change.
Actually, that is exactly backwards, based on geological evidence, which is my field. Variations in the output of the sun over long time intervals cause the earth's climate to cool down or warm up. If the sun's output increases, the earth gets warmer. Eight hundred years later, on average, CO2 levels increase; thus, CO2 levels follow climate change, not the other way around as you hear in the media. Complexities abound in climate research, but there are no data that show that people change the climate of the globe.

This forum certainly is an appropriate place to address this topic. None of us should feel guilty over bogus anthropogenic climate change propaganda.
tuxnharley (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 11:40 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr D.
CA is good to go because oil is a renewable resource, the Earth produces oil in abundance deep within its mantel in ways that have nothing to do with dead dinosaurs.
Hey my car seems to run the best on a decomposed 🦕 bontosaurus !
Old 09-13-2018, 12:58 AM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by LouieM
Actually, that is exactly backwards, based on geological evidence, which is my field. Variations in the output of the sun over long time intervals cause the earth's climate to cool down or warm up. If the sun's output increases, the earth gets warmer. Eight hundred years later, on average, CO2 levels increase; thus, CO2 levels follow climate change, not the other way around as you hear in the media. Complexities abound in climate research, but there are no data that show that people change the climate of the globe.

This forum certainly is an appropriate place to address this topic. None of us should feel guilty over bogus anthropogenic climate change propaganda.
Your theory is not compatible with mainstream scientific thinking.
Many factors control global warming/cooling. You've listed one. The data from the last 50 years cannot be explained by the traditional models unless you add in human activity.

https://www.ucsusa.org/global-warming/science-and-impacts/science/effect-of-sun-on-climate-faq.html#.W5ntYOhKiUk

https://www.skepticalscience.com/co2-higher-in-past-intermediate.htm

Last edited by SDVette; 09-13-2018 at 12:25 PM.
Loren Smith (09-13-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 01:11 AM
SI67
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by 68hemi
Yes, for the mainstream but you can still drive them on the roads legally and is the norm in the Amish country. It will be the same with gasoline burning vehicles in the future. They will be a novelty just like the horse and buggies that old timers get out for fun from time to time being passed either on the ground or above by rocket cars, electric or atomic powered.
Remember when you where a kid watching the Jetsons? We all thought that by the time we were 50 years old we would all be driving jet cars. Things don't happen as fast as we think they might.
So I gotta grow a big beard if want to keep driving my Corvette?
Old 09-13-2018, 01:13 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

"Mainstream" thinking used to have the sun revolving around the flat earth.

The earth was much warmer several hundred years ago than it is now. I guess the medieval warming period was due to horse poop decomposing into CO2 from hauling carts around in Europe? Greenland used to be fairly ice free, compared to now.
Doug
61 Roadster (09-13-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 08:45 AM
pop23235
Safety Car

Received 1,023 Likes on 683 Posts

Your theory is not compatible with mainstream POLITICAL thinking.
Many factors control global warming/cooling. You've listed one. The data from the last 50 years cannot be explained by the traditional models unless you add in man-made CO2.

https://www.ucsusa.org/global-warming/science-and-impacts/science/effect-of-sun-on-climate-faq.html#.W5ntYOhKiUk

Fixed it for ya’.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:08 AM
Drothgeb
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDoug
"Mainstream" thinking used to have the sun revolving around the flat earth.

The earth was much warmer several hundred years ago than it is now. I guess the medieval warming period was due to horse poop decomposing into CO2 from hauling carts around in Europe? Greenland used to be fairly ice free, compared to now.
Doug
Actually, several hundred years ago, the earth was in the midst of a mini ice age during the Maunder Minimum. Which was the low point of several types of long and short term solar cycles happening at the same time. At that time the sun’s output was down 5-10 % from the norm. There was some thinning of ice in upper latitudes, thought to be from thinning of the atmosphere. But it got pretty dang cold at the mid latitudes.

And by the way, the sun is projected to be at one of those low points in the next 10-30 years and, current activity is actually very low as it is. So I’d be very curious to hear the expert’s opinion on why even though the sun’s output is currently decreasing, global temps are rising at an alarming rate.

I’d also like to point out that once the sun’s output bottoms out, it will start to rise again due to normal cycles. And when that happens, the effects will combine with whatever is causing the current rise in temps (not wasting my time debating the CO2 thing) and temps will likely skyrocket. That won’t matter to us old guys, but think of your grandchildren and their kids.

Edit: Weather has now cleared down here in Mexico, so I’ll be out fishing and unable to continue the discussion. Good luck to you guys figuring out climate change. And here’s a good link on the Maunder Minimum for those of you getting ready to dispute me. It’s effects are still disputed, but it’s something to keep in mind. Lower solar activity, lower temps, makes sense. Was it the only reason, probably not. But we have more than one contributing factor now too.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maunder_Minimum

Last edited by Drothgeb; 09-13-2018 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:27 AM
64luke
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by mikelj
Considering the cost of anything and everything in Cali (and the drastic increases coming), and the political environment, I can't understand why most people are not leaving for anyplace else.
That’s like the old question “why does a dog lick his *****? Because he can.

California is awesome.

Regarding 25 years from now. Most prediction experts have the same accuracy as dart throwing chimps. I’ll never know, in 25 years, I’ll either be dead or drooling into my bowl of mush as I micturate into my diaper.

https://hbr.org/2015/02/what-researc...te-predictions

Last edited by 64luke; 09-13-2018 at 09:27 AM.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:57 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Greenland temps, reconstructed from ice core data. Lots warmer in the past following teh last ice age which ended ~11000 years ago. Long term trend is toward another ice age..

Last edited by AZDoug; 09-13-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:22 AM
SDVette
Safety Car

2016 C1 of Year Finalist

That graph ends in 1950.
Modern analysis and debate on the Greenland data: https://www.skepticalscience.com/10000-years-warmer.htm
Old 09-13-2018, 01:12 PM
domenic tallarita
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by LouieM

What I am afraid of is "who is paying the gas bill for the sun". what if they stop and the sun runs out of gas? Ask Gore!

Dom
Old 09-13-2018, 01:50 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,167 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by TCracingCA

Hey my car seems to run the best on a decomposed �� bontosaurus !
Actually, contrary to the old TV commercials, the oil is primarily decomposed plant matter, and not animal. There was a heck of a lot more plant material for a much longer period.

I have a scene on my garden railroad of a dinosaur dig next to a tar pit. The scene depicts a diplotocus in the tar, like the mammoth figure at the La Brea Tar Pits. Everybody enjoys the scene and very few pick up on the fact that there has never been a dinosaur found in a tar pit.

Last edited by toddalin; 09-13-2018 at 01:58 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:11 PM
63 340HP
Team Owner

Received 2,339 Likes on 890 Posts

Your theory is not compatible with mainstream scientific thinking.
Many factors control global warming/cooling. You've listed one. The data from the last 50 years cannot be explained by the traditional models unless you add in human activity.

The Scientists should be a little embarrassed with the excessive simplicity and omission of scientific analysis in your blog references, but I understand that editorial by omission to dumb down a complex issue like climate science is good enough to sell an unproven theory. Many theories, and observations, and valid analysis reviews of mainstream climate science, are in opposition to the fashionable magical jump to attribute the majority of recent global warming to anthropogenic CO2. You may want to read some of the skeptical analysis papers, to recognize the science is not as definitive as the fashionable propaganda belief.

If you have a background in physics and mathematics the link below may be enlightening, but even a reasonable layman can wade through the advanced math to gain some insight as to where the "magic occurs" in the mainstream science of catastrophic man made climate change. Some of the questions and analysis exposes the jumps from real science to speculative climate science.

http://sciencespeak.com/climate-basic.html

If you do take the time to read this series of posts about climate science for an educated audience, you will note that the author follows the mainstream science up to exposing the error when the "magic occurs." The author even recognizes and resolves the science to calculate the range of climate forcing from CO2, with the error analysis that is omitted in mainstream science. There is no denial of greenhouse gas warming effect, or CO2's greenhouse effect, but the question of magnitude and significance of CO2 is called into question. An interesting anecdote is that since this series was authored (along with other independent science) the IPCC made two significant revision changes in their assumptions for CO2's climate forcing. One was to discount the 95% assured agreed to magnitude of CO2's potential climate forcing by 67% (they missed a 95% by 67%), The second was to broaden the range of error for CO2's climate forcing downward to the edge of insignificance (establishing a new range with potential error greater than the revised forcing value). You may have read about the discount during the Paris Agreement, when the mainstream science was faced with agreement rejection based on a 2.5dC warming per a doubling of CO2, they revised the projection down to 1.5dC (without an accompanying scientific analysis to explain or validate the revision, or the potential error that grew to +/- 3dC, but understandable when you recognize the IPCC is a political body).

An easier to read contrary blog is https://www.therightclimatestuff.com/home.html

The point to recognize is that mainstream climate science is not a mature settled field of science.

I expect many of the participants in C2 here have a background in advanced science (physics, engineering, math, etc,) or experience and certifications in fields where they may relate the concepts in the linked Post series (some, like me, enjoy the challenge of a refresh of the physics involved). While a healthy dose of skepticism regarding CO2's significance in climate change is good, the skepticism should no stop with CO2 or the concerns with the solar radiance theory of your blog post, because cyclical heat transfer in the oceans and atmosphere's water cycle remain a growing field of climate science that is questioning many of the assumptions of the past fifty years,
Old 09-13-2018, 03:06 PM
CorvetteMikeB
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 311 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist

Are you going to have gasoline in CA in 25 years for your Corvettes?

The question should be will there be enough drivers who drive in 25-35 years?? With self driving cars and the % of new teenage drivers getting their driving license each year is an all time low. The price $$$ of new cars/trucks is only one of the reasons they do not get their driver's license. Lack of a desire to own a vehicle is another factor. They would rather take a bus or train to work then drive. Having a driver's licence might be a novelty someday.

Last edited by CorvetteMikeB; 09-13-2018 at 03:24 PM. Reason: revised

Get notified of new replies

To Are you going to have gasoline in CA in 25 years for your Corvettes?

Old 09-13-2018, 03:10 PM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Received 577 Likes on 366 Posts

Green Oil: Scientists Turn Algae Into Petroleum In 30 Minutes

So gasoline will be renewable too.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:12 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

2016 C1 of Year Finalist

63_340HP:

Thanks for posting that (seriously!). It is an interesting read.

We agree on this: Climate science is not a mature field.

We don't know (and we can't know, I would argue) how the complex system will respond to input. We can only model it with ever-improving models, based on observation and the laws of science. And certainly, the early "doomsday" climate change scenarios were wrong, painting the term "climate change" with a bad brush.

But even the model you reference points to 20% of recent measured warming to be caused by humans.

Given that much of the world (India, China) is on the brink of massive industrial development.. and that it takes DECADES to reform existing infrastructure, it seems pretty crazy to me to keep our heads buried in the sand.

I won't post further on this thread. I prefer to discuss Corvettes with you guys..

Fred

Last edited by SDVette; 09-13-2018 at 03:13 PM.
Drothgeb (09-13-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 03:23 PM
Drothgeb
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

Got back from fishing, and my wife was commenting that global warming might not be such a bad thing.

Last edited by Drothgeb; 09-13-2018 at 05:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Are you going to have gasoline in CA in 25 years for your Corvettes?