C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Speedometer off by 20mph +/-

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 12:47 AM
dsafian
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer off by 20mph +/-

Hi,

I have a '63 327/340 w/4spd that I just picked up. At low speeds 35mph the speedo is accurate, but the faster I go the more the variance.
At 50 - 60 it's +10 mph, and when I'm driving 70, it reads close to 90mph or +20 mph. I'm running 205 / 75R15 tires.

What's the best method for correcting - I'd rather not put more miles on the clock than necessary!

Thanks.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:02 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

That's a pretty sizeable speedo error but I was guess that the speedometer gear just needs to be changed. First thing to do is climb under the car, take the speedometer cable loose at the transmission, remove the retainer bolt and remove the speedometer gear housing and plastic gear. They just pull out once the bolt and retainer are removed. But the o-ring will provide a little resistance so you will have to work it out a little. Count the teeth on the gear and report back with that information and the color of the plastic gear. Also, do you know for sure what your rear gearing is? If not you should try to determine that too. You will get some help then with selecting a new gear.

There is a possibility the speedometer head up in the instrument panel is out of calibration - but try the easy stuff first with the speedometer gear.
The following 3 users liked this post by DansYellow66:
31g8r (09-25-2018), 64SilverbluePhx (09-24-2018), dsafian (09-23-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 11:49 AM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Received 771 Likes on 402 Posts

If the speedo gear is wrong (possibly due to tire size or rear gear change), then the error will be proportional at all speeds. For example, if it is 5 MPH fast at true 30 MPH, then it will be 10 MPH fast at true 60 MPH. If the error is not proportional to speed, then I would suspect either a problem with the speedometer head or possibly some slippage somewhere in the gear/cable. ..... I drove my car for years with a known error of 10%. For example, I knew that when the speedometer showed 60 MPH I was really doing 66.
The following users liked this post:
dsafian (09-23-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 12:29 PM
dsafian
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
That's a pretty sizeable speedo error but I was guess that the speedometer gear just needs to be changed. First thing to do is climb under the car, take the speedometer cable loose at the transmission, remove the retainer bolt and remove the speedometer gear housing and plastic gear. They just pull out once the bolt and retainer are removed. But the o-ring will provide a little resistance so you will have to work it out a little. Count the teeth on the gear and report back with that information and the color of the plastic gear. Also, do you know for sure what your rear gearing is? If not you should try to determine that too. You will get some help then with selecting a new gear.

There is a possibility the speedometer head up in the instrument panel is out of calibration - but try the easy stuff first with the speedometer gear.
DansYellow66 - thanks! I figured this was the place to start, but wanted to get a little feedback. I don't know the ratio, as the car was restored 20 years ago, and it seems to have other minor modifications - Cam, etc.. Will go through the paperwork to see if I can shed more light on that. Will pull the gear and report back. Cheers!
Old 09-23-2018, 12:34 PM
dsafian
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kellsdad
If the speedo gear is wrong (possibly due to tire size or rear gear change), then the error will be proportional at all speeds. For example, if it is 5 MPH fast at true 30 MPH, then it will be 10 MPH fast at true 60 MPH. If the error is not proportional to speed, then I would suspect either a problem with the speedometer head or possibly some slippage somewhere in the gear/cable. ..... I drove my car for years with a known error of 10%. For example, I knew that when the speedometer showed 60 MPH I was really doing 66.
kellsdad - thank you - I have to look closely at the margin of error at all speeds to verify. I think it's consistent, but way more that 10%.
I would probably leave it, but don't want to rack up the added miles.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:47 PM
61corv
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts

I think the original poster is asking if he should change the gear in the transmission. Will going to a larger gear correct the speedometer? Assuming he has a 27 inch or close to stock tire. Will the rearend gear make a difference if the tire is stock height?
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ter-gears.html

There are 2 links in the middle of the page that might help explain what gear you may use, 24 or 25 tooth.

Last edited by 61corv; 09-23-2018 at 01:59 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 61corv:
64SilverbluePhx (09-24-2018), dsafian (09-23-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 02:57 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

The original plastic gear is brown and has 18 teeth. If you want the speedometer to go slower you need the next size which is black and has 23 teeth.
The following 2 users liked this post by MOXIE62:
64SilverbluePhx (09-24-2018), dsafian (09-23-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 09:18 PM
claf
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 75 Posts

It's unlikely the gear is the wrong one if the speedometer is accurate at one particular speed. I have the same problem with my '62. Waaaay off at low speeds but the faster I go the closer it gets to correct. My problem is some kind of imbalance inside the speedmeter due to some soldering inside the speedometer from a way back when "bubba" repair.

Do not worry about the miles (if in fact you have the correct gear) as there is no direct relationship between the odometer and the speedometer. Odometer is gear driven, speedometer is magnetic driven.
64SilverbluePhx (09-24-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 09:52 AM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Originally Posted by dsafian
Hi,

I have a '63 327/340 w/4spd that I just picked up. At low speeds 35mph the speedo is accurate, but the faster I go the more the variance.
At 50 - 60 it's +10 mph, and when I'm driving 70, it reads close to 90mph or +20 mph. I'm running 205 / 75R15 tires.

What's the best method for correcting - I'd rather not put more miles on the clock than necessary!

Thanks.
There are two kinds of speedometer error - offset error and gain error.

Gain error means that the percent error is constant at all speeds. Offset error means the speedometer is off by constant MPH at all speeds.

The limited data you've provided indicates you could have a combination of both offset and gain error, but more data is needed.

Take a set of readings in 5 or 10 MPH increments from 15 MPH to your highest freeway cruising speed and compare them to either a portable GPS in your Corvette or the readings of a modern car pacing your Corvette. Post the data.

Gain error can be caused by incorrect speedo gearing for the installed axle or tires with significantly different revs/mile than OE, but your installed 205/75R15 tires are close enough to OE tires revs/mile that they will not introduce significant error. Gain error of more than 3-4 percent can usually be corrected by installing a different speedo driven gear, which will change the reading up or down by about five percent.

Offset error can only be corrected by removing the speedo needle and reclocking it on the pin.

In addition to the speedo/GPS data you should read the axle code that is visible between the strut rod bracket and spring, and you may have to do some cleaning to see it. Also, count the number of driveshaft revolutions for one axle revolution to verify the installed ring and pinion ratio. It may be different from the code that shows the original axle ratio.

There's no way anyone can diagnose and recommend a solution to your problem until you provide a complete set of data as discussed above.

Duke

64SilverbluePhx (09-24-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Speedometer off by 20mph +/-

Quick Reply: Speedometer off by 20mph +/-