C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 Clutch pedal over center adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 01:46 PM
Harold Davis
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default C1 Clutch pedal over center adjustment

Hello Guys,

Need a little help here. I`m rebuilding a 62 from the frame up. Almost back together and installed the pedals to hook up the brakes and clutch. When I hooked up the clutch system the pedal sticks to the floor. I have tried adjusted it everyway I can think of including moving the pivot point on the pedal from hole A to C..
This started before I took the car apart. I have replace the clutch and cover, plate and bearing. Install a new fork and install the correct bell housing and pivot ball.
It has a resurfaced flywheel and a diaphragm cover. Replaced the pivot arm and ball on the frame.
I think I have replaced all the parts with correct items. Most were purchased through CC.
I have 2 more 62`s in the garage and they seem to all have some sort of problem.

Thank you in advance,

Harold

Old 09-24-2018, 02:22 PM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,126 Likes on 553 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Did you try the clutch with the large spring removed and see if it still sticks to the floor?
This will determine if it is the override spring system or the clutch system.
Do you have any pictures of your spring set-up?
Joe
Old 09-24-2018, 02:35 PM
Harold Davis
Advanced

Originally Posted by plaidside
Did you try the clutch with the large spring removed and see if it still sticks to the floor?
This will determine if it is the override spring system or the clutch system.
Do you have any pictures of your spring set-up?
Joe
Thanks Joe,
I will try that tonight and let you know. I can take pictures but this might be a little over my head posting them. I have read the page and got as lost as last years Easter Egg.

Harold
Old 09-24-2018, 02:46 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Have you gone through the ST-12 adjustment ???

The "gorilla" spring provides bi-stability - helping both engage and dis-engage the clutch...if its adjusted or installed wrong it'll snap the pedal to the floor in a ghostly manner..

As Joe said, pictures would help as I've seen the gorilla spring incorrectly installed more than once...pics of the attachment at both ends would be helpful..

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 09-24-2018 at 02:51 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:09 PM
Harold Davis
Advanced

Thanks Frankie,
I will do my best to post the pictures. I have 2 58`s that work great and they seem to be hooked up the same. How knows. Maybe I need thicker glasses.

Talk soon,

Harold
Old 09-24-2018, 03:37 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

The setup should look like this:

Old 09-24-2018, 04:35 PM
Harold Davis
Advanced

Thanks Frankie,

That looks correct. I read the ST 12 again. I might have the push rod upside down from the pedal to the arm. I see it can go both ways. Right now it is bent up and I think it is in a A hole on the pedal. The picture looks like in should point down if in that position.
I will look tonight after work.

Harold
Old 09-24-2018, 07:41 PM
plaidside
Safety Car

I believe the rod should be pointed down. If it is up it might dig into the firewall.
Joe
Old 09-24-2018, 09:46 PM
macster
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
The setup should look like this:

The clutch over center is adjusted by the position of 531366. You loosen both of the bolts and it pivots forward/back. Be careful as there is a lot of force from the gorilla spring. I loosen both bolts just a tad and then use a large adjustable wrench on the upper part of the bracket and move it forward or rearward. Its trial and error to get it in the sweet spot.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:04 PM
chris ritchie
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

What type of clutch pressure plate is installed in the car? The original type 3 fingered type? Or, the later and more common diaphragm type? The 3 fingered type is more difficult to depress, so the Godzilla spring is used to help depress it. It goes over center when it's near the top. If you have the usual diaphragm type pressure plate, the effort required to depress the clutch is reduced. Therefore, you don't need the Godzilla spring, although you will need a lighter spring to keep the pedal up. Sometimes using the Godzilla spring on a lighter effort diaphragm type pressure plate will keep the pedal on the floor when it's depressed, especially if it's not adjusted just right.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:00 AM
Harold Davis
Advanced

Originally Posted by chris ritchie
What type of clutch pressure plate is installed in the car? The original type 3 fingered type? Or, the later and more common diaphragm type? The 3 fingered type is more difficult to depress, so the Godzilla spring is used to help depress it. It goes over center when it's near the top. If you have the usual diaphragm type pressure plate, the effort required to depress the clutch is reduced. Therefore, you don't need the Godzilla spring, although you will need a lighter spring to keep the pedal up. Sometimes using the Godzilla spring on a lighter effort diaphragm type pressure plate will keep the pedal on the floor when it's depressed, especially if it's not adjusted just right.
Thanks Guys,
Thanks to Chris, Frankie and Macaster I have a clutch that works. I look at the other 62`s we have and all have diaphragm pressure plates. None of the 62`s work well. All the 58 have the 3 fingered covers and work great.
I reviewed the info sent by Frankie and all parts are correct on all 6 cars.
I have to agree with Chris, If you do not have the three fingered covers there is no enough pressure to return the pedal and it stick over center. I removed the big spring and installed a return spring like most later model cars and now I have free play and a non sticking pedal. I guess when I have time I will replace the cover with a three finger system for judging. That's going to be a winter project to do 4 clutch systems. I`m glad we have short or no winters in California.
Thanks again for all the words of wisdom.

Harold

Old 09-28-2018, 08:43 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by Harold Davis
I guess when I have time I will replace the cover with a three finger system for judging.
Don't bother - nobody's going to crawl around under the car on the wet grass and remove the cover to inspect whether you have a 3-finger Borg & Beck pressure plate or a diaphragm pressure plate; it isn't a judged item.

Old 09-28-2018, 09:19 PM
plaidside
Safety Car

I have two 61's with diaphragm clutches and both have the gorilla spring and I been driving them for years and the pedal never stuck to the floor.

Did you remove the spring and see if it still sticks?
Joe
Old 12-02-2018, 01:07 PM
dcamick
Tether Man
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,018 Likes on 1,040 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Originally Posted by macster
The clutch over center is adjusted by the position of 531366. You loosen both of the bolts and it pivots forward/back. Be careful as there is a lot of force from the gorilla spring. I loosen both bolts just a tad and then use a large adjustable wrench on the upper part of the bracket and move it forward or rearward. Its trial and error to get it in the sweet spot.
I am in the process, right now, to adjust the bracket forward......It will not go too much further rearward. I might also replace the rod connector bushing and bolt and gorilla spring while I'm at it.... My pedal is a little "SLOW" to return.

Get notified of new replies

To C1 Clutch pedal over center adjustment

Quick Reply: C1 Clutch pedal over center adjustment