C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Suppression of Diff Whine

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 08:00 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,621 Likes on 1,953 Posts

I will second that Richmond gears are crap as far as noise is concerned. We went through 2 sets of them in setting up a new sure-grip rear n my 67 GTX and set the first set of gears up twice with a lot of howling - and set up the second set twice also. On the final set up it still whines at certain loading but it was the least noise of the 2 gear sets and 4 set ups so I quit there. By the way, I paid for both sets of gears. They didn't feel they had any responsibility. I wouldn't wish Richmond gears on my worst enemy. Stay far, far away from Richmond.

I would agree with Frankie and Mike that I think some under floor and wheel housing insulation would probably attenuate the noise at least somewhat on the inside. I plan to eventually do so in my GTX.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:24 PM
CorvetteMikeB
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 311 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist

I have read a lot of positive customer's reviews on the ring/pinion "Yukon brand" rear differential gears. With Corvette owners using the 3:36 gear ratio and other gear ratios.
Has anybody used that "Yukon" brand in there C1 & C2 Corvettes?

Last edited by CorvetteMikeB; 10-21-2018 at 09:25 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-21-2018, 09:34 PM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,067 Posts

I don't like the fact that they don't offer any info on the pinion depth.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:30 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvetteMikeB
I have read a lot of positive customer's reviews on the ring/pinion "Yukon brand" rear differential gears. With Corvette owners using the 3:36 gear ratio and other gear ratios.
Has anybody used that "Yukon" brand in there C1 & C2 Corvettes?
Yukon is Randy's Ring & Pinions brand, I have used them but it was about 8-10 years ago. They setup ok as I recall and I never heard back on the build. They are imported gears to my knowledge, I think their salesman at the time, Blue Tipton, told me India? I still use Tom's as my choice of gear. Note- the 12 bolt vette conversion does use Richmond custom gears and I would guess they're NOS - not current. I haven't had any issue with any of those I used. I have used plenty of the old USA Richmonds years ago as well until that last set. Most of the time whine is bad setup and the pictures of patterns I have seen posted in the past were poorly setup. Setting up gears is a time consuming job that requires patience and also when to walk away from the work for the day. Rushing the work will cause poor results most of the time. It is not uncommon to break down and setup gears many times before getting the best pattern and many times it is not textbook.

Robert, I never setup vette gears with a depth gauge, I always go by pattern. The pattern in my avatar appears to be off to the toe, it is however perfect for the gear set. The important thing to see is not that the pattern is to the toe but rather the length of the pattern between the root and crown is equal. That set was as quiet as original GM's were.

Last edited by GTR1999; 10-21-2018 at 10:38 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:44 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Received 137 Likes on 94 Posts

to the OP: the whine of a rear end is transmitting along the metal to metal chain (rear-end, drive shaft, gearbox) from back to front, and even your transmission shifter will bring part of that direct into the cockpit. When I was trying to identify the source of the whining, I thought it was coming from the front of the car. So insulation will not help a lot.

I had whining, listened very carefully to GTR1999 advice, rebuild the rear end with his (out of this world) help, whining gone....

Last edited by alexandervdr; 10-22-2018 at 04:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Mike Geary (10-22-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 08:41 AM
ejboyd5
Drifting

Received 326 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Geary
Roger that -- but was wondering if anyone had determined what's the main transmission path of the noise and whether it can be quieted down until it's corrected.
That's why there's a radio in the car.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:52 AM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,030 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by GTR1999
Yukon is Randy's Ring & Pinions brand, I have used them but it was about 8-10 years ago..
I did the rear in my 62 Bonneville (Pontiac/Olds rear) with Randy's kit and it is silent and beautiful. That was 5 years and 15,000 miles ago.

Dan

Old 10-22-2018, 09:08 AM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Gary this may be out of your wheel house I have the BOP 10 bolt. If I use Toms can I just change the yoke and use a Chevy gear set? There are more choices on ratios.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:48 AM
hedgehead
Race Director

Location: I'm not doing as well as I expected, but I never expected I would
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Mine whines between 60-64, WTF?
Old 10-22-2018, 06:21 PM
new vette 62
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default tom's gears

Originally Posted by GTR1999
No the last Dodge I had was a '70 Dart "swinger" 6 cly automatic.

Gear whine, to a degree, can be expected with any gear set. In fact the best set made today and last in the USA for Tom's has a spec sheet mentioning gear whine is to be expected. Now with a vette you're sitting behind the diff BUT even so GM gears were not noisy and Tom's gears are not typically but it all comes down to setup.

Other then Tom's gears, (US Gear) the others are imported. Suppliers rebox gears so you won't know what you get until you look at them out of the box. Tom's always has a "G" inside a shield logo on the side of the ring gear. Yukon don't have anything, Richmond had Double Diamonds, and I don't know about Motive. I only use Tom's, his wife is still running the business and has new USA made gears in stock now BUT you have to know how to set them up or you will get whine with any of them.

Example of why I only use Toms. 6-7 years ago I built a 79 diff for a local guy using new usa made Richmonds, dialed in perfectly. They were terrible, whined badly. I broke down the diff to see if there was anything I did wrong the first time and found nothing I would have changed. The lash, preload, and the pattern were PREFECT. I replace the Richmonds with Tom's and installed all new bearings, did the same setup and they also dialed in PERFECT- only no noise in use. I stopped using any other gear set since. I just got in a new set of Tom's 373's, they are still 5 cut gears. NOTE- Toms are 373 not 370, the only new 370 ratios are imported gears now.

Robert - if you took it apart several times now and still have a whine I would not bother anymore, get Tom's gears, a new master kit with USA Timkens, and setup the posi correctly. The pinion shim should be about 024-026 and the lash 5-7, total preload 10 in/lb over the final pinion preload.
I put Tom's in mine and I can't hear any noise. I bought the whole kit posi , bearings and gears from him. No complaints

Quick Reply: [C2] Suppression of Diff Whine