C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

LS3 ECM to Electric Cooling Fan question...modified folks

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 06:59 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Received 952 Likes on 473 Posts

Default LS3 ECM to Electric Cooling Fan question...modified folks

Guys I have this question on the LS1 tech Forum but they're not very good at answering like you fellas are. For those of you that have put a LS3 in your C2 with a GM performance ECM colon I'm trying to hook up the electric fans. I have a dewitts radiator with dual spall fans. 5 to 30 amp relays. I have the black wire grounded, I have two heavy-gauge yellow wires to 12 volt always hot. Then I have two smaller wires I think should be the ignition key. They are hooked to the blue wire from the ECM. Fans won't work had to LS running over 210 degrees and the fans won't work. If you've done this and you know something about it would appreciate any suggestions
Old 10-21-2018, 07:38 PM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 648 Likes on 277 Posts

Your description of your wiring setup is not clear, but doesn't sound correct.
I use a different brand ECM/harness, but it may be the same setup. The wires from your harness go to the ground side of your cooling fan relay. When the ecm calls for cooling, the blue wire gets grounded, then triggering the relay to send 12v to the fan.

The GM instructions say this (but not entirely clear IMO):
• A cooling fan is controlled by the ECM. Control is set to turn on a 12 V fan at 97 Deg C (207 Deg F) coolant temperature. The fan control wire is fused/relayed and must be connected directly to your fan.

This diagram may help if you also have vintage air.
https://www.vintageair.com/universit...rinary-switch/
The wire from our ECM/harness is the Optional Fan Temperature Switch in Engine (white wire) which is connected to Terminal 86 (ground side) of your cooling fan relay.

Take all this with a grain of salt as I don't know if you have the exact same setup. Fuse everything before turning on.
Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
vjjack04 (10-21-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 09:56 PM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Ken is correct. The positive wire to the fans are always hot. The ECM sends a ground signal to the relay which in turn grounds the fan. I also have mine set up where the ac pressure switch grounds the relay. Then on the front I have a manual fan.

On a side note how do you have the heater hoses routed?
Old 10-22-2018, 11:17 AM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Robert61
Ken is correct. The positive wire to the fans are always hot. The ECM sends a ground signal to the relay which in turn grounds the fan. I also have mine set up where the ac pressure switch grounds the relay. Then on the front I have a manual fan.

On a side note how do you have the heater hoses routed?
I am using the new Earl's 90 degree swivel elbos. So i have all the heater hoses down low and actually going through the SRIII frame mount areas for the engine mounts...(If you look close it you may be able to see...I can take another picture later today)..So the hoses come out of the Vintage Air pass through area under the passenger fender, go along the back side of the passenger side inner fender well and then down under the motor mount area and into the 90 degree swivels. To use the swivels there are two sizes. (1) PART# SS988409ERL & (1) PART# SS988412ERL

Old 10-22-2018, 11:18 AM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Ken Sungela
I use a different brand ECM/harness, but it may be the same setup. The wires from your harness go to the ground side of your cooling fan relay. When the ecm calls for cooling, the blue wire gets grounded, then triggering the relay to send 12v to the fan.

• A cooling fan is controlled by the ECM. Control is set to turn on a 12 V fan at 97 Deg C (207 Deg F) coolant temperature. The fan control wire is fused/relayed and must be connected directly to your fan.

The wire from our ECM/harness is the Optional Fan Temperature Switch in Engine (white wire) which is connected to Terminal 86 (ground side) of your cooling fan relay.

Take all this with a grain of salt as I don't know if you have the exact same setup. Fuse everything before turning on.
Hope this helps.
Thanks Ken; I was trying to use voice to text and some of the wording got messed up in the original question...however, the info you provided, I believe, is what I needed. Thanks again.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:27 PM
Robert61
Safety Car

I'll make a suggestion tonite when I get home. It's too much for me to type on my ph.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:35 PM
Robert61
Safety Car

When you run the heater hoses on an LS engine like you do on a regular SBC and use a cut off such as the Vintage Air the water doesn't circulate as they extended. With the flow cut off you don't have any hot water to open the thermostat then you get over heating. There are write ups about modifying the water pump. What I've done on the 3 I've worked on is put a plug directly behind the thermostat, it's about 1.260" diameter. I put a 3/16" hole in the plug that allows hot water to flow over the thermostat. I then modify the thermostat housing to run a standard SBC thermostat. We've had absolutely no temperature issues and they've all been to Cruising the Coast where traffic is brutal and if you're going to run hot you'll find out there for sure.
vjjack04 (10-22-2018)
Old 10-28-2018, 02:19 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Hope this helps.
Ken,
Being as you we so good at explaining the above...I wonder if you have any advice for the situation I now have....I did hook up the blue wire as you mention...and then from the fans I have a "ignition keyed hot" hooked to orange wires on the fans...but what I have is when the car gets to the right temperature, the fans dont turn on until I turn the key off....then, the car doesnt turn off, the fans turn on and I get about 4-5 volts at the keyed circuit (which had 12+ volts before the fans turn on)...I wonder does my description make sense...? Is the solution to add a diode? I will be talking to a fellow who knows electrical stuff later in the week....but wonder what you, or anyone else who might have knowledge in this area thinks...?
Old 10-28-2018, 08:20 PM
j_66chevelle
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

I would try running the fans manual first before trying to get the computer figured out. If using the Spal relays and Dewitts dual fan setup (I have the same setup), the yellow wire is to the battery, red to the fans, orange is ignition, and gray is ground. Even if you ground the gray wire the fans will not come on unless you have 12 volts to the orange wire.
1. Ensure you have 12 volts to the yellow wire and the orange wire
2. Ground the gray wire, fans should come on
3. Next, place the orange wire back in the circuit, turn on the key, ground the gray wire, fans should come on.
4. Lastly, if the above works, the computer should provide a ground when a specific temperature is reached.

Hope that helps
Old 10-28-2018, 10:23 PM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 648 Likes on 277 Posts

As suggested above, test each part of your circuit for proper operation. You can draw a picture of your circuit and take a photo then post it. its difficult to understand how you have it wired. I'm a visual person, so a pic says a 1000 words to me.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:16 AM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,554 Likes on 2,797 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

What ecm wiring harness are you using and is this a 58x or 24x ecm? Typically, the set up is:

PNK/BLK & DK GREEN- Primary cooling fan relay control. Used for PCM control of fan relay. Pink/black (12 volts key on) to relay terminal “85”; Dk. Green (ECM gnd control) to terminal “86”.

PNK/BLK & DK BLUE- Secondary cooling fan relay control. Used for PCM control of fan relay. Pink/black (12 volts key on) to relay terminal “85”; Dk. Blue (ECM gnd control) to terminal “86”.

Relay pins 30 should receive 12v from the battery via a fuse or circuit breaker of the same gauge as the fan leads (typically 12 or 14 gauge) with the other negative fan motor lead going directly to a good ground.

To be clear, I have not installed an LS in a Corvette, but I have installed several in other vehicles including most recently my 1988 Defender.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:04 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by j_66chevelle
I would try running the fans manual first before trying to get the computer figured out. If using the Spal relays and Dewitts dual fan setup (I have the same setup), the yellow wire is to the battery, red to the fans, orange is ignition, and gray is ground. Even if you ground the gray wire the fans will not come on unless you have 12 volts to the orange wire.
1. Ensure you have 12 volts to the yellow wire and the orange wire
2. Ground the gray wire, fans should come on
3. Next, place the orange wire back in the circuit, turn on the key, ground the gray wire, fans should come on.
4. Lastly, if the above works, the computer should provide a ground when a specific temperature is reached.

Hope that helps
Thanks for the info above. I have it connected the way you describe. And i have tested in and the fans work when applying direct 12 v to the orange wire. What I have now is when the engine temp gets hot enough for the fan to come on, the fan doesnt come on, BUT if I then turn the car off, it keeps running, AND when the key is turned to the off position, that's when the fan comes on. So at that point the car is running, the fans are on, but I can even take the key out AND it still runs. Also at the bulk head where I have the orange wire connected, with the key off and only while the fan is running it reads about 4 and a half volts...I am going to try another ignition keyed wire when I get home today. I had someone tell me yesterday that I may need a diode....was wondering if anyone else needed or used a diode for this reason.

Old 10-29-2018, 02:09 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Factoid
What ecm wiring harness are you using and is this a 58x or 24x ecm? Typically, the set up is:

PNK/BLK & DK GREEN- Primary cooling fan relay control. Used for PCM control of fan relay. Pink/black (12 volts key on) to relay terminal “85”; Dk. Green (ECM gnd control) to terminal “86”.

PNK/BLK & DK BLUE- Secondary cooling fan relay control. Used for PCM control of fan relay. Pink/black (12 volts key on) to relay terminal “85”; Dk. Blue (ECM gnd control) to terminal “86”.

Relay pins 30 should receive 12v from the battery via a fuse or circuit breaker of the same gauge as the fan leads (typically 12 or 14 gauge) with the other negative fan motor lead going directly to a good ground.

To be clear, I have not installed an LS in a Corvette, but I have installed several in other vehicles including most recently my 1988 Defender.
I am using the GM Performance LS3 (376/480) harness with their E67 ECM. It has a 58x crankshaft reluctor wheel.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:23 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Wired properly, you don’t need any diodes. Can you post a picture of your relays, specifically how the wires are connected to the relay sockets and then state which color wire is connected to fan, ground, ignition, etc.? You are getting 12v backfeeding into your ignition switch. It doesn’t need diodes, it needs the proper connections and a picture would really help.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:24 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

As suggested above, test each part of your circuit for proper operation. You can draw a picture of your circuit and take a photo then post it. its difficult to understand how you have it wired. I'm a visual person, so a pic says a 1000 words to me.
Ken,
i am set up like j 66Chevelle describes and have tested. The only thing I haven't tested is removing the triggered orange wire from where I have it on the bulk head (which is supposed to be a key ignition point for an electric fan according to American Autowire) and going directly to the battery. It seems that if I run a wire to hook it to the battery, and then run the car to get it to 207 degrees it should turn the fan on.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:28 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Factoid
Wired properly, you don’t need any diodes. Can you post a picture of your relays, specifically how the wires are connected to the relay sockets and then state which color wire is connected to fan, ground, ignition, etc.? You are getting 12v backfeeding into your ignition switch. It doesn’t need diodes, it needs the proper connections and a picture would really help.
Factoid,
Thanks for that, that's why I am posting this, to get info on whether or not anyone has had to use a diode. So that's good to know (that its not needed). I will see if I can make a drawing with wire colors..(as I think it will be hard to get a good picture). Will have to do that later today when I get home.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:32 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Your relay pins should be:

pin 86: ground from ecm
pin 85: 12v
pin 87: fan
pin 30: 12v via a fuse or circuit breaker

The easiest way to wire it is to pick up 12v from the horn relay with a 12 or 14 gauge wire (what ever gauge the fan uses) via a fuse or circuit breaker. Attach it to pin 30 on the relay and then run a lighter gauge jumper wire to pin 85. In other words connect pin 85 to pin 30. Pin 87 goes to the fan and the other fan lead goes to a solid ground (not the relay). Pin 86 is then connected to the ecm control line. If that doesn’t work, you have a bad component somewhere. Good luck!
vjjack04 (10-29-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To LS3 ECM to Electric Cooling Fan question...modified folks

Old 10-29-2018, 05:05 PM
daz_au
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

I use the thick fan wire the GMPP harness provides (I think I remember its blue) and its connected directly to my SPAL fan. Since you have 2 fans I guess it requires a relay even though that output already uses a 30A relay and fuse within the controller. One thing I would note (as per the GMPP ECU instructions) is that the GM ECU doesn't switch the fan on until 207F, so maybe you are just not hot enough yet ? As others have suggested, you could just test the circuits separately, hook a bulb (or multimeter) to the ECU fan wire and a switch to your fan relays for manual operation. Run the engine up to 220, the ECU should light the bulb and you can hit the switch to start the fans and push the temp down until the bulb goes off. If those two things happen, then you should be able to trust the ECU and connect the fan output to the triggers for the Spal fan relays. I have to admit I spent some anxious moments watching the temp gauge the first time I let my GM ECU control the fans.
vjjack04 (10-29-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 08:05 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the solid responses...I am learning alot as I work through this conversion...This will be the only and last car I do this kind of thing to.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:56 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Default SPAL fan wiring to LS3 GMP EMC

Here's how its wired now on my car....same colors as represented to the relays, battery (yellow), ignition (orange), and (red) to fans. So is it the fan ground that goes to the ECM or the grey wire?

Last edited by vjjack04; 10-31-2018 at 07:58 PM.

Quick Reply: LS3 ECM to Electric Cooling Fan question...modified folks