C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

TI Ignition Woes..No Voltage at Coil

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 09:18 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 771 Likes on 553 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcheairs38655
There are not 2 white resistor wires in the TI harness, only one which plugs into the 12v wire coming through the firewall from the ignition switch. In a standard ignition system this wire would have been connected to the top of the ballast resistor. Anyway the resistor wire (big white one with cloth covering) then makes its way toward the front of the car inside the harness wrapping and then loops back to the + post on the coil. It's all one long wire which is made that way to achieve the proper resistance. I'll post a picture of it tomorrow. I removed the wrapping from the old harness and discovered the loop. I too thought there were 2 resistor wires but couldn't see what was going on under the wrap. I'll also photo the Lectric Limited hookup instructions where it describes how to modify the standard ignition harness to accept the TI harness connections. I'll post these pictures tomorrow.

Anyone out there which knows this system well, I could use some support here...Thanks
The TI system (including the circuit board schematic) is a very simple system, compared to later electronic ignitions. I'll offer up some help if I can. Couple things:

1) The schematic shows two (white wire) resistors in the circuit. Are you saying that one is missing (if I understand your post correctly)?

2) The coil is never connected directly to 12 volts. The wiring configuration does not permit that, nor is the coil designed for that (it would likely turn into a toaster oven if you tried to directly connect 12v to the coil).

3) The TI system uses the starter solenoid R terminal to shunt/bypass the first ballast resistor (of the two) to compensate for lower battery voltage during cranking (similar to points systems). This function is primarily needed during winter starts when the battery capacity is reduced due to low temperatures.

4) My first question to you is what is the voltage at the white ballast wire on the lower part of the schematic (that is fed by the key/ignition pink wire, and then feeds two pink wires downstream)?
The following users liked this post:
Tcheairs38655 (10-24-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 09:57 PM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,030 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Tcheairs38655
... I have the original Delco coil and it also will not show voltage at the + post when the resistor wire is connected...
There are are so many troubleshooting possibilities for this fault that I'm inclined to abandon the K66 system for something more modern such as HEI.

That would be a shame. K66 with a new printed circuit in your amp box is plenty reliable. If you have an original GM board in your box it is suspect in this instance. But first I would verify continuity of the starter solenoid feed and then un-plug and re-plug snuggly the amp box plug. I once had a start but no run condition that turned out to be just that, a plug that needed shaking up. The effort and expense replacing your K66 with anything will offset the cost of a new board. With that and a few hours on a Saturday morning and you are back in business. K66 is no more difficult to troubleshoot than taillamp wiring.

Dan
The following users liked this post:
Tcheairs38655 (10-24-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 10:46 PM
Tcheairs38655
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

I'll get back with everybody tomorrow after I talk with the Lectric Limited support people. Apparently I am confused about the resistor wire(s). I plan to verify with Lectric Limited that their wiring instructions have been correctly interpreted by me. It is very possible that I have the system hooked up wrong. I'm certainly willing to invest 150$ in the new circuit board before abandoning the project.

Quick Reply: TI Ignition Woes..No Voltage at Coil