C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] tachometer boot installation 62

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 10:58 AM
vettsplit 63
Le Mans Master

Location: "You may all go to Hell- and I will go to Texas- Davy Crockett
Received 474 Likes on 337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default tachometer boot installation 62

I am having trouble understanding exactly how the tachometer boot and retainer installs on a 62. The pictures I have seen from a supplier show the retainer with the prongs facing into the boot, with the boot stretched around the prongs, but they don't explain installation. So that means the boot would install through the large hole in the firewall from the inside? I thought it would install with the prongs facing the firewall from the outside with the boot stretched over the ring, and snap into place, but that won't work. the firewall hole isn't large enough. Do the retainer prongs actually go through the firewall? Like a lot of things ,the AIM is not much help on this, other than to say to use cement on the entire flat surface of the boot at the firewall

Last edited by vettsplit 63; 10-29-2018 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:19 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by vettsplit 63
I am having trouble understanding exactly how the tachometer boot and retainer installs on a 62. The pictures I have seen from a supplier show the retainer with the prongs facing into the boot, with the boot stretched around the prongs, but they don't explain installation. So that means the boot would install through the large hole in the firewall from the inside? I thought it would install with the prongs facing the firewall from the outside with the boot stretched over the ring, and snap into place, but that won't work. the firewall hole isn't large enough. Do the retainer prongs actually go through the firewall? Like a lot of things ,the AIM is not much help on this, other than to say to use cement on the entire flat surface of the boot at the firewall
i'm no help... I finally pushed it in from the inside until one of the pleats captured the edge of the hole securely and then left it....

Bill
The following users liked this post:
vettsplit 63 (10-30-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 10:36 PM
CANDA
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't know if this will help you can zoom in on the boot. The prongs do go in from the firewall side its been a long time since I did this If I recall correctly I bent the prongs so I could get them through the firewall them bent them back then inserted the boot from the inside under the dash. Good Luck went through a lot of the things you are going through.

Claude

The following users liked this post:
vettsplit 63 (10-30-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To tachometer boot installation 62

Quick Reply: [C1] tachometer boot installation 62