C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Value and VIN

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 04:38 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

On a restomod with new frame and motor, a state assigned VIN shouldn't negatively affect anything and is probably better as it has been blessed by the State. having it registered as a new car with emissions requirements may, but hey, you are in CA, legally you have to meet the emissions requirements of that 2001 LS motor you put in your stock frame 1960 corvette...

Again, with a restomod, and new steering column, you are going to have to remove and relocate factory VIN anyway, which opens you up to the same issues you have here, you aren't going to fool anybody epoxying a '61 VIN tag to an Ididit steering column if question of pedigree ever arises.
Doug

Originally Posted by Randy G.
I'm trying to be measured in my discussion of this because it's not my car and I don't want to send up a red flag on an internet forum. I apologize if anyone thought I was intentionally misleading or being too vague.

He asked me to do the restoration which was already started by someone else who became ill. I put the brakes on the whole thing by asking basic questions first like "Let me see the title" and "Where's the VIN tag" when I didn't see it on the steering column near the master cylinder. I'm not new to this. And I know better than to proceed on anything before clearing title issues. And that's where I am right now. He has a title, and he has a car. And like I said, the two don't connect. The sad part is (and I haven't been able to confirm this) he claims he paid $50,000 for the car at the estate sale. Even before his friend, who was going to restore/restomod it, took it apart it wasn't worth near that. As far as the VIN on the engine pad goes, it's got an NOM so no help there.

The title to this thread isn't misleading. My concern is after spending hundreds of thousands making a restomod out of a car with a potential reassigned VIN is the value of a restod C1 as negatively effected as an original C1 restored with a reassigned VIN. Me personally? I would walk away from any potential purchase of a C1/C2 with a reassigned VIN.

Old 11-21-2018, 04:46 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

I sent a copy of it to Roy. Let's see what he thinks if he wants to share his opinions. It's a '63 VIN and says CV for body style. Title date was 2000.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:47 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Originally Posted by AZDoug
On a restomod with new frame and motor, a state assigned VIN shouldn't negatively affect anything and is probably better as it has been blessed by the State. having it registered as a new car with emissions requirements may, but hey, you are in CA, legally you have to meet the emissions requirements of that 2001 LS motor you put in your stock frame 1960 corvette...

Again, with a restomod, and new steering column, you are going to have to remove and relocate factory VIN anyway, which opens you up to the same issues you have here, you aren't going to fool anybody epoxying a '61 VIN tag to an Ididit steering column if question of pedigree ever arises.
Doug
Check your PM's.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:58 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,010 Likes on 2,529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Duck916
If you are going to park the car, you pay $5 for a "Planned Non Operation" (PNO) registration and the DMV is happy. But you can only do that before the fact. When this guy goes in and says, "I've had this car for three years and would like to register it now" the DMV will say, "No problem, jump through these hoops and pay the back registration for each year plus a hefty penalty." When the owner says, "But I didn't drive it" the DMV will say, "But you didn't get the PNO up front, so pay up." California does require that you register a newly acquired vehicle pretty quickly--I think it's 10 or 20 days from the date of purchase.
I love California, it keeps New York from being the worst state in the nation! But I could never live there.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:11 PM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

Did not see anything from OP about sale under supervision of probate court. What I saw was estate sale, which could be many things.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:11 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy G.
I sent a copy of it to Roy. Let's see what he thinks if he wants to share his opinions. It's a '63 VIN and says CV for body style. Title date was 2000.
63?. Would love to know what body style. If it's a SWC then he got a hell of a deal. If not, oops.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:13 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Originally Posted by MOXIE62
63?. Would love to know what body style. If it's a SWC then he got a hell of a deal. If not, oops.
Ooops....

Old 11-21-2018, 05:33 PM
Fordracer9
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 68hemi
By federal law it is illegal to be in possession of a vehicle without a V.I.N. tag attached.
Then how do the manufactures get away with selling bodies in white to race teams? There are LOTS of cars out there, never intended for highway use, sold thru the dealer networks on bill of sale only because they are only partial builds and do not have VINs. Hardly a federal offense.

Old 11-21-2018, 06:01 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,050 Likes on 1,935 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Fordracer9
Then how do the manufactures get away with selling bodies in white to race teams? There are LOTS of cars out there, never intended for highway use, sold thru the dealer networks on bill of sale only because they are only partial builds and do not have VINs. Hardly a federal offense.
Apples and oranges to this conversation.

A body in white is an incomplete vehicle or another way to put it would be a bunch of assembled parts and by this definition is NOT a vehicle.

Yes, there are a lot of cars out there never intended for highway use and stated so when sold new as not meeting FMVSS. These were factory type race cars such as Mopar A990 cars and 1968 SS Hemi Darts and Cudas to name a few. Most were sold from the dealers just passing the (MSO or MCO depending on the time frame) and not titled. However don't confuse titling with registration. A car that was not built for highway use due to not meeting FMVSS CAN be titled BUT not legally registered (read--licensed for street use.)

Last edited by 68hemi; 11-21-2018 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:56 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

I received some great guidance privately. Thanks.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:18 PM
Duck916
Team Owner

Location: Various places in California. Not currently aflame.
Received 638 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by hope2
Did not see anything from OP about sale under supervision of probate court. What I saw was estate sale, which could be many things.
Doesn't matter anyway, assuming we're talking about California. The probate courts don't "supervise" the sale of non-real estate assets in any meaningful sense with respect to the mechanics of the transaction. And in many probate actions the executor can even sell real estate without court approval. The court just wants to see that the estate got full value for its asset. As long as no heirs challenge the sale and the probate referee doesn't raise a red flag, the sale takes place.

The owner might have a cause of action against the executor/administrator if fraud was involved, but that seems unlikely, since the executor/administrator probably had little real knowledge about the car.
Old 11-23-2018, 01:23 PM
itsforfun
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Acquire the "donor" car (with title) and make the resto-mod. Your done.

Quick Reply: Value and VIN