C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 - Modded vs Original value

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 07:40 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

The best thing to do is put radial tires on the car if it doesn’t have them all ready. Anything else is all a matter of opion
Old 12-05-2018, 08:12 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

LOTS of opinions and viewpoints and good reasons for all.
WITHOUT EXCEPTION, by today's standards, the 53-62 Corvettes are crude--------------no question about it. But so is a 40 Ford convertible, or a 55 Chevy Nomad. Is there ANYONE here that would not like to have one????????? HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Any of these old cars can be improved upon------------------it just depends on just how much the owner wants to incorporate improvements and upgrades---------if any.

Cosmetically, my 56 is pure 56.
Mechanically, it is more or less "out the back door of St. Louis". The drive train is upgraded for more power and durability.The chassis is upgraded to 60-62 configuration----------------------EVERYTHING is 100% rebuilt and in like new STOCK condition. The brakes are a somewhat upgrade with home made finned drums and bigger metallic shoes-------------------------NOT disc brakes, but it stops DAMN good.
And last, like ALL old Vettes, it's hot in the summer, so-so in the winter (the original heater works good), leaks when it rains and drives and handles like an old car-------------------but I don't take it to competition at Daytona.
People love it------------I love it.

Last edited by DZAUTO; 12-05-2018 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:16 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by 61 Roadster
Like I mentioned earlier; I find modern radial whitewall tires (diamond back, etc), modern Delco gas shocks and front disc brakes will carry a properly restored C1 a long way. It seems many C1's have tired front suspensions and steering in need of an overhaul by an experienced mechanic familiar with their idiosyncracies.

The stock 283 motors are plenty strong for a 3K lbs vehicle and I love the factory 4spd with 3.70 gears.
The leaf sprung rear is going to kick a bit like any solid axle car.

Well, here is my take on this.What I have done to make a more modern driving and user friendly car out of my C1 beyond my putting a 383 stroker engine in the car which is likely not necessary for the average guy for these light cars:
1. Wider radial tires
2. Front end frame shims for correcting front end alignment for radials
3. Complete rebuilt front suspension
4. Traction Masters
5. Rebuilt steering
6. Modern shocks
7. Aftermarket sound system with bluetooth
8. 15” Steering wheel

VERY IMPORTANT! The 15” steering wheel is VERY important as these car a VERY hard to get into for anyone 5‘ 10” or taller. This makes the normally hard steering car even more difficult, we have all become spoiled by power steering. The recent discovery of electric power steering that can be hidden under the dash WILL become one of the NUMBER ONE changes that people will make in the future to make these cars more pleasant and modern feeling to drive.

The disc brake are not really necessary as the original brakes in good condition are more than adequate but do have a tendency to pull in one direction or the other and are subject to fade after a couple of very hard stops unlike disc brakes so for the man that has grown up with disc brake it is likely something he would want to add.

Last edited by 68hemi; 12-05-2018 at 08:18 PM.

Quick Reply: C1 - Modded vs Original value