C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] 1964 Fat Boy Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 11:23 AM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by Factoid
The plan:

Big, giant wheel flares (Jeff did an awesome job on these and they fit well, but will require a lot of work)
1965/66 big block hood
No exhaust hole rear valance
Undercar exhaust with turn downs just before the valance
Flat black bumpers, trim and wheels
Wheels that fill the wheel well with big dish
Four wheel disc brakes
Borgeson power steering
New suspension, shocks and sway bars
427 sbc with TKO 600 and 3.70 posi
Return the interior to black and silver with C5 sport seats and some custom touches

Please don’t expect some polished restomod. I’m not capable! But, I will have a road car that hopefully looks as good as it performs.

Fat Boy flares:

No way to tell from angle pictures were taken from, how well you have the center-line of the rear flare's opening lined up with the center-line of rear wheels is right now, but maybe that's because you wanted to show us a quick look at the look your going for.

Study the Red cars look at rear of door opening an that of other cars with Large bubble flares as to where they flare out away from body to make sure what looks best. Also car's stock wheel-well opening, will give your an idea about how much open space between outside dia of tire and the flare's wheel-well opening size looks best to you, Front and Rear.

You know in you mind, "Look" your after, but you may find things change some as you proceed with you build.

Always step back a ways from car, and study body from all angles as you proceed to nailing the car's look you want car too project.
The following users liked this post:
Factoid (12-07-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 11:47 AM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,608 Likes on 2,818 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by mikelj
I can understand the problems with ever returning it to its' original state, and can see why you want to do what you are planning, good luck! This one is not in the list I have seen of black/silver cars, so good to know an undocumented ones has been found.
Thanks, Mike, but I do have a question. I shared the trim plate and was told by several people that the original interior was black and silver. However, as I look more closely at the interior, I’m not so sure. It looks like black to me unless someone went to a lot of trouble to change things. It is leather, though. Here’s a picture of the plate, what do you think?

Old 12-07-2018, 11:50 AM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Poorhousenext
No way to tell from angle pictures were taken from, how well you have the center-line of the rear flare's opening lined up with the center-line of rear wheels is right now, but maybe that's because you wanted to show us a quick look at the look your going for.

Study the Red cars look at rear of door opening an that of other cars with Large bubble flares as to where they flare out away from body to make sure what looks best. Also car's stock wheel-well opening, will give your an idea about how much open space between outside dia of tire and the flare's wheel-well opening size looks best to you, Front and Rear.

You know in you mind, "Look" your after, but you may find things change some as you proceed with you build.

Always step back a ways from car, and study body from all angles as you proceed to nailing the car's look you want car too project.
Great advice as always PHN, thank you. You are correct, I simply hung them for the picture, no measurement, yet. Also, they will require some modification, but these were the closest to my desired look that I could find.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:03 PM
mikelj
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,391 Likes on 683 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist

Thanks, Mike, but I do have a question. I shared the trim plate and was told by several people that the original interior was black and silver. However, as I look more closely at the interior, I’m not so sure. It looks like black to me unless someone went to a lot of trouble to change things. It is leather, though. Here’s a picture of the plate, what do you think?

This is an AO Smith body, which had just started being delivered to St. Louis a few months earlier (this is a May body), so the ECL codes can vary. However, the 899 trim code is a two tone silver/black interior, and it indicates a leather interior as well. 900 is a tuxedo black exterior.
Factoid (12-07-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 01:45 PM
Saddletan
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 84 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by 1Cerberus4u
SaddleTan, do you know the wheels an dimensions of the red car?

Mark, what 20" wheel are you looking at? I thought I as going big with 18"s.... But I agree, I am concerned that unless I find a 27-28" wheel tire combo the flares will look too "gappy' in my car too........ I've got the Red Car on the lift, suspension off for the swap to SharkBite, trying to get the PS and PB's in, so working on the black car is a couple weeks out

don’t know the wheelsize on that red car. However I don’t think 20s will look right unless they are filled with those carbon ceramic platters. And black 20s will really bring out the haters. If you guys want to autocross in CAM the tire selection will be limited to 200 tread wear. Otherwise for a retro look there is the Avon CR6ZZ. I’ve heard it’s sticky and lasts along time. Cobras run them. https://rogerkrausracing.com/pdfpric...CR6ZZ-2017.pdf
Old 12-07-2018, 01:57 PM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 856 Likes on 627 Posts

I love it! Can’t wait to see what you come up with. Following what FlyNavy said, I went with the Ridetech rear on my 69 which is still in its chassis stage. Because I am staying with 15’s and doing the Avon tires, I opted not to do the Ridetech front. I went with Global West uppers and their extended travel lower coilover arms to give shock travel on lowered cars. I am, however running Ridetech coilovers on the front also. The Global stuff is really beefy and solid stuff. Good luck with the build. By the way,the Avon tires are very sticky and really look great on these cars if you want to stay with 15’s.

This is my favorite flared C2. Don’t know who makes these flares but they keep the original belt line so you almost don’t notice they are flared.
Bill

Last edited by 69ttop502; 12-07-2018 at 02:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 69ttop502:
Factoid (12-07-2018), ptjsk (12-08-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 02:07 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Thanks gang. I ran Avon’s on both my Kirkham 289 Cobra and GT40 mk1. I can attest to both their stickiness and longevity.

62vetteuk (12-18-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 05:31 PM
mikelj
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,391 Likes on 683 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist

Thanks gang. I ran Avon’s on both my Kirkham 289 Cobra and GT40 mk1. I can attest to both their stickiness and longevity.

Avons are the best, hands down, and they have the proper vintage sizes and look. I had them on my "64 50th Anniversary FIA Cobra, CSX7972:

Factoid (12-10-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 06:00 PM
Duck916
Team Owner

Location: Various places in California. Not currently aflame.
Received 640 Likes on 395 Posts

Meh. It's a '64. Who cares what he does to it. Might as well turn it into a bird feeder.

Just kidding. I'm not a fan of flares, but I am a fan of making it special. Looking forward to the build.

(Proud 1964 owner here....)
Old 12-07-2018, 06:02 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Received 954 Likes on 475 Posts

I like flared c2s. A lot of guys on this forum have nice looking cars with flares....those...right now its hard to see, but I bet you have a vision that in the end, will be cool.
The following 2 users liked this post by vjjack04:
Factoid (12-07-2018), Stan's Customs (02-08-2019)
Old 12-07-2018, 06:05 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Originally Posted by Duck916
Meh. It's a '64. Who cares what he does to it. Might as well turn it into a bird feeder.

Just kidding. I'm not a fan of flares, but I am a fan of making it special. Looking forward to the build.

Bravo!
mikelj (12-08-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 06:32 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Received 2,366 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Hahaha. We should really start a subforum/support group for those of us with '64s, or worse yet, modified '64s....
BW56 (02-20-2023)
Old 12-07-2018, 06:38 PM
Saddletan
Pro

Originally Posted by FLYNAVY30
Hahaha. We should really start a subforum/support group for those of us with '64s, or worse yet, modified '64s....
Call it, Redheaded Step Children, on Drugs.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:43 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Received 2,366 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Originally Posted by Saddletan

Call it, Redheaded Step Children, on Drugs.
I was thinking "You guys are such idiots for buying the worst Corvette ever made but damn you for modifying such a perfect classic". Order of seniority will be based on fender flare size....Mark is making a solid run on the Presidency.
The following 2 users liked this post by FLYNAVY30:
Factoid (12-07-2018), USMC 0802 (12-07-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 07:26 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,052 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Looking forward to the build and seeing the fat meats under those flares.
Factoid (12-08-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 07:50 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by vjjack04
I like flared c2s. A lot of guys on this forum have nice looking cars with flares....those...right now its hard to see, but I bet you have a vision that in the end, will be cool.
Hey, someone who gets it!

The rear flares will require minimal work, just some blending. The fronts will need significant sectioning and molding. I’m starting with the rear so I can see some progress before I bog down on the front.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:39 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,955 Likes on 890 Posts

Hey Mark,
I can't hardly wait to see what it will look like when it's finished! Keep us informed with a step by step posting.

Pat

Last edited by ptjsk; 12-08-2018 at 09:25 PM.
Factoid (12-08-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To 1964 Fat Boy Build

Old 12-08-2018, 08:23 AM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by LouieM
Looking forward to the build and seeing the fat meats under those flares.
Says the king of fat meats who inspired me to put 245/45-17’s on all four corners of my ‘64 convertible and I love the way it looks and handles, thanks Louie!

Originally Posted by FLYNAVY30
I was thinking "You guys are such idiots for buying the worst Corvette ever made but damn you for modifying such a perfect classic". Order of seniority will be based on fender flare size....Mark is making a solid run on the Presidency.
I love the 1964 Corvettes, that’s why I have two! Both will be Frankenstein’s monsters. Unknowingly, someone posted a picture of my ‘64 convertible earlier in this thread. If I’m president, Greg, then you are treasurer as we need someone else who really knows how to spend money on upgrades!

Thanks, as I said some will love it, some will hate it and some won’t care. I feel like this car was a few steps away from a hanger queen (Greg knows what that is) and is being saved.

Originally Posted by ptjsk
Hey Mark,
I can't hardly wait to see what it will look like when it's finished! Keep up informed with a step by step posing.

Pat
Dont worry, Pat, you guys will be sick of me by the time I’m finished, just don’t expect me to move at the speed of light like you and Chris.

I’ve got two consulting gigs over the next two weeks, so I’ll be away and not much will get done. Plus, the engine died yesterday (electrical) so I have to fix that first. It sucks pushing it in and out of the garage. That said, if I do it enough times my arms might start to look like Pat’s! One can dream...
ptjsk (12-08-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 01:37 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

The best two things about these flares are the wheel well opening profile and the space they create for nice fat wheels with big dish and meaty rubber goodness. Other than that, they are ugly and really meant to be screwed onto a road race car where they can be easily replaced if damaged. However, they are the best I’ve found for my purpose and since fiberglass is so easy to work with, form a great foundation for the final look.

As I mentioned, the rear flares are really close, so let’s focus on the front flares. I really don’t like how they hang out there like a tumor. The rear of the front flare actually blends better than the front and if you study Brian’s car and imagine my front flare you will notice two things. First, the rear of the front flare is molded and blended into the fender, but does not have much modification. However, the front is completely changed and it is what causes your eye to be tricked into thinking they were part of the original mold. Then, the rear of the front flare tucks back in sharply, but the abruptness of the leading edge of the rear flare provides a balance. I’m not trying to copy Brian’s flares exactly, but the leading edge of his front flare is about perfect. I also think the stark contrast of the black flare in my pictures against my white car makes the raw flares look even worse.

This area outlined in black and the piece below it blend the natural body line into the leading edge of the flare. Image a piece of string connected from the lower left corner of the shape I drew to the middle of the flare (lower right corner) following the body belt line.

That string line forms a new belt line between the original nose as it blends into the side and the middle of the flare. Imagine if I cut out the Black outlined section of Brian’s car and glued it into the red outlined section on mine (same on the lower panel) and you will start to see how I will rework the front flares. More to come, but it’s raining today and I have to travel tomorrow.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:30 PM
Saddletan
Pro

You are totally doing what I am thinking about. I have the bubble flares but still looking for a coupe. The flared ones are getting harder to find on the west coast. So I might need some sawblades.

How about a hybrid of the bubble and wide quarter. Also the rears would look better if the leading edge of the flare extended down to the top of the rocker. You could cut up some Dynamic Corvettes quarters. Jeff has them too. His are bigger.

Quick Reply: [C2] 1964 Fat Boy Build