C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Valve Coves

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 01:51 PM
mexicruiser
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a set of “flawed” covers I’m not using, pm me if you want them. When I bought them I was unaware of flawed/unflawed variations, now I need an “unflawed” one for my 63 swc. ��. I hope I’m not infringing any forum rule, if so please accept my appologies and delete this post.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:08 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Love those covers also, the place Factoid listed makes good quality ones .
Next fav were the LT1 pieces. Dont worry about what anyone thinks, you gotta drive it not them. Some get so carried away with this hobby I dont know how they even enjoy it.
Old 12-16-2018, 03:06 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Love those covers also, the place Factoid listed makes good quality ones .
Next fav were the LT1 pieces. Dont worry about what anyone thinks, you gotta drive it not them. Some get so carried away with this hobby I dont know how they even enjoy it.
your not a real Chevy fan if you never put either covers on a engine that never had them. my first car a 81 Monte I cloned into a SS with wore out 305 I put the LT-1 covers on it
Old 12-16-2018, 03:10 PM
Vette5311
Le Mans Master

Received 1,255 Likes on 838 Posts
Default Yep.........

Originally Posted by richopp
See, that's what I was afraid of. In the Buick world, if you put Stage 1 (chrome) valve covers on your non-Stage car, we pretty much shun you for life and put you in the stocks at any show you have the guts to attend...
I put a sbc in a Skylark because the "Fireball" aluminum V8 sucked. Imagine how I am shunned by the Buick guys!

Last edited by Vette5311; 12-16-2018 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:03 PM
richopp
Burning Brakes

Received 175 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette5311

I put a sbc in a Skylark because the "Fireball" aluminum V8 sucked. Imagine how I am shunned by the Buick guys!
OH, NO! Alas, you would probably not be permitted onto the show grounds--you would be kept outside the fence staring longingly at the REAL Buicks...

The aluminum engines were evolutionary in their day; you can mess with them, but a small block Chevy is such an easy mill to manage that I don't blame you at all; good choice for performance and reliability and PARTS availability, of course.

Now, if you wanna talk about heresy, let's think about the turbo Trans Ams with GN engines...we GRUDGINGLY let them into shows, but with a bit of a glance down the nose, of course...

Cheers!

Richard
Old 12-16-2018, 05:06 PM
richopp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mexicruiser
I have a set of “flawed” covers I’m not using, pm me if you want them. When I bought them I was unaware of flawed/unflawed variations, now I need an “unflawed” one for my 63 swc. ��. I hope I’m not infringing any forum rule, if so please accept my appologies and delete this post.
I hope it does not violate rules, but if so someone let us know. I THINK someone posted that the late '66 used "non-flawed" covers, but let me check and get back to you. Just found out my vent window cranks are bad--VERY expensive and necessary, so may have to wait on these if they are a lot.

PM sent.

Cheers,

Richard
Old 12-16-2018, 05:48 PM
Vette5311
Le Mans Master

Received 1,255 Likes on 838 Posts

OH, NO! Alas, you would probably not be permitted onto the show grounds--you would be kept outside the fence staring longingly at the REAL Buicks...

The aluminum engines were evolutionary in their day; you can mess with them, but a small block Chevy is such an easy mill to manage that I don't blame you at all; good choice for performance and reliability and PARTS availability, of course.

Now, if you wanna talk about heresy, let's think about the turbo Trans Ams with GN engines...we GRUDGINGLY let them into shows, but with a bit of a glance down the nose, of course...

Cheers!

Richard
I didn't realize all I have to do is change V/C to have a "real" Corvette engine! On my way to E Bay.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:51 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by GUSTO14
To be technically correct, since your car is a '66, you should be looking for a set of un-flawed covers. Any quality set of new reproduction valve covers or used originals is going to run close to $400. You may find a used set for less, but they will probably not be as nice.

This company sells both the flawed covers and un-flawed covers. The un-flawed are about double the cost, but are probably worth it. I spent hours on the last set of 'new' covers I bought with the flaw trying to remove it with little luck. I finally gave up and bought a set of PML's. Appearance wise they look nearly identical to original, but they are heavier (more substantial) and a bit taller. I like them a lot.
https://www.moderngenauto.com/C2-Cor...iABEgI6YPD_BwE

This company sells the PML covers (you can also buy direct from PML). The PML's are offered in a variety of finishes, from raw aluminum to powder coated an even polished. They are not cheap, but are high quality.
https://www.ebay.com/i/282903303547?...f46798fffc2143

Good Luck... GUSTO
That would be TOP $$ for those. That would have to be for a pair that have never been blasted, nice unstained original condition. Most are stained and have been blasted and or painted. The fresh blasted and painted with Aluma Blast look as good or better then most of the original finish ones and usually sell for around $200. per set.

They made 1000s of them both on cars and over the counter. They come up all over the Internet all of the time. I bet that if you advertise for them right here on the forum you will get many offers from people wanting to sell them. In fact I had a set that had never been blasted and were stained for sale on the forum for months with no takes at I believe $200. I never did sell them and they now reside on my 300 h.p. 1965.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:03 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

I hope it does not violate rules, but if so someone let us know. I THINK someone posted that the late '66 used "non-flawed" covers, but let me check and get back to you. Just found out my vent window cranks are bad--VERY expensive and necessary, so may have to wait on these if they are a lot.

PM sent.

Cheers,

Richard
Based on what you say you are doing, I don't think flawed or unflawed would matter. The late 66 were flawed (sometime around Mar 66). Before that, not so much.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:04 AM
richopp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Vette5311

I didn't realize all I have to do is change V/C to have a "real" Corvette engine! On my way to E Bay.
See? I keep telling everyone how great this Forum is. News like that is clearly invaluable! Imagine the increase in value of any car with a "REAL" Corvette engine in it based on the valve covers (Yes, I can spell it--must have had a senior moment when typing the original post...sorry about that!)

Grab those covers!

Cheers,

Richard
Old 12-17-2018, 08:05 AM
richopp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Based on what you say you are doing, I don't think flawed or unflawed would matter. The late 66 were flawed (sometime around Mar 66). Before that, not so much.
Seems like a reasonable answer and probably easier on my already stretched wallet...

Cheers,

Richard
Old 12-17-2018, 08:10 AM
richopp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 68hemi
That would be TOP $$ for those. That would have to be for a pair that have never been blasted, nice unstained original condition. Most are stained and have been blasted and or painted. The fresh blasted and painted with Aluma Blast look as good or better then most of the original finish ones and usually sell for around $200. per set.

They made 1000s of them both on cars and over the counter. They come up all over the Internet all of the time. I bet that if you advertise for them right here on the forum you will get many offers from people wanting to sell them. In fact I had a set that had never been blasted and were stained for sale on the forum for months with no takes at I believe $200. I never did sell them and they now reside on my 300 h.p. 1965.
Now THAT is good news! I did not realize they made so many and will certainly advertise for some once I have the car in hand in a few weeks (I hope!).

Thank-you very much for all that information; I need all the education I can get on these great cars. I keep thinking about my first trip to Publix and the eyes that this beautiful motorized work of art will attract. It will truly be a pleasure to drive around town in such a beautiful ride.

Cheers,

Richard
Old 12-17-2018, 08:55 AM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Received 771 Likes on 402 Posts

FYI: I was in the market for a set of later run Corvette valve covers when I attended a large car show swap meet last month. Before long I spotted a set of slightly used covers with the flaw line on one of many tables a seller had set up. I called back to him, "How much for the Corvette valve covers?" "$75," he replied. "For both," I added? He nodded. I started walking away from him to get to the end of the table so I could go around and get a closer look. "Fifty bucks," he yelled. "I'm not leaving," I smiled. "I'm just going around to get a better look." He shook his head at his own mistake. I bought them.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:07 AM
richopp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kellsdad
FYI: I was in the market for a set of later run Corvette valve covers when I attended a large car show swap meet last month. Before long I spotted a set of slightly used covers with the flaw line on one of many tables a seller had set up. I called back to him, "How much for the Corvette valve covers?" "$75," he replied. "For both," I added? He nodded. I started walking away from him to get to the end of the table so I could go around and get a closer look. "Fifty bucks," he yelled. "I'm not leaving," I smiled. "I'm just going around to get a better look." He shook his head at his own mistake. I bought them.
NOW you are in my price range!

Interesting how things go at such events. At the Buick show in Bowling Green I had a "booth" one year and sold pretty much everything in about 1 hour. Of course, Buick parts are rare since it was not a popular car, and in the case of my '72 Stage 1 Convertible, it was one of 81 made that year, so some stuff was just not available no matter what a person could pay.

Just one of the many things that make this hobby so much fun!

Cheers,

Richard
Old 12-17-2018, 09:19 AM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

Didn't some 300 HP cars get aluminum valve covers on the assembly line when the stamped ones ran out of stock. I think that happened about the same time Chevrolet ran out of small block hoods.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:16 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

I don't know anything about these other than the ad.
https://images.craigslist.org/00707_...s_1200x900.jpg
Old 12-17-2018, 10:51 AM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by woodsdesign
Didn't some 300 HP cars get aluminum valve covers on the assembly line when the stamped ones ran out of stock. I think that happened about the same time Chevrolet ran out of small block hoods.
You are just being a **** disturber

Get notified of new replies

To Valve Coves

Old 12-17-2018, 11:07 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by woodsdesign

Post of the day.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:26 PM
richopp
Burning Brakes

Yup!
Old 12-17-2018, 03:27 PM
richopp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
I don't know anything about these other than the ad.
https://images.craigslist.org/00707_...s_1200x900.jpg
Unfortunately this only shows the picture with no link to the ad itself...

Quick Reply: Valve Coves