C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Aftermarket EFI sytems

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 05:41 PM
Black_Magic
Safety Car

Received 448 Likes on 205 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year (appearance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
CI 4-5-7-9-10-11 Car Show Winner
CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-9-10-11 Vet

Originally Posted by raylag64
Back to the subject.....
Does the original 365 air cleaner fit over the sniper without mods?
Yep

The following 3 users liked this post by Black_Magic:
Loren Smith (04-24-2021), raylag64 (01-27-2019), Rob_64-365 (01-28-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 07:38 PM
raylag64
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Sweet! I was digging through the Vette magazines this morning trying to find the add I had read about the drop base air cleaners.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:24 AM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
for me I would ask to have it removed and take more of the price
It is not really about if the car is worth more or not. It would be worth more to a collector if it was all original. As a driver, it is as a fuel injected car because you can actually drive it when you want so to speak. It doesn't matter if is 15 degrees outside or 100 degress, it is going to start and run good. You are also not going to stink like burnt fuel all the time and depending on the system you get it can control timing and it will have a better handle on it then the mechanical and vacuum advance.
So the FiTech is good, we have sold a bunch and installed them and no issues yet. I have had one fuel regulator that we do not even use on it go bad, but that is a bosch product and not a FiTech issue. The Fast was a great system 10 years ago and for a stand along system it is still good. Holley bought everyone that was anyone in the business minus Fast. I am getting ready to install a Sniper system but that system is on the same level as the FiTech. If you want to really move up you need to go to the Holley Dominator or HP ECU's. There is a ton of technology built into them and they are easy to program and get running.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:25 AM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Black_Magic
Yep

That is a super clean setup, love it.
The following users liked this post:
Stan's Customs (03-02-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 09:35 AM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,556 Likes on 2,798 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by J.Abbott
It is not really about if the car is worth more or not. It would be worth more to a collector if it was all original. As a driver, it is as a fuel injected car because you can actually drive it when you want so to speak. It doesn't matter if is 15 degrees outside or 100 degress, it is going to start and run good. You are also not going to stink like burnt fuel all the time and depending on the system you get it can control timing and it will have a better handle on it then the mechanical and vacuum advance.
So the FiTech is good, we have sold a bunch and installed them and no issues yet. I have had one fuel regulator that we do not even use on it go bad, but that is a bosch product and not a FiTech issue. The Fast was a great system 10 years ago and for a stand along system it is still good. Holley bought everyone that was anyone in the business minus Fast. I am getting ready to install a Sniper system but that system is on the same level as the FiTech. If you want to really move up you need to go to the Holley Dominator or HP ECU's. There is a ton of technology built into them and they are easy to program and get running.
Excellent summary from one of my favorite suppliers and in line with my experience. Yesterday, I took a break from fat boy and spent a couple hours reading the Sniper installation and tuning manual, given I am more familiar with the FiTech system. Very impressive and it appears really straight forward to install and tune. Also, to an earlier poster’s valid concern, it requires no laptop or secondary generic technology solution to program so no worries about obsolete secondary technology.

To the OP, when (not if) you do this, please start a detailed build thread as it will be very interesting, plus may help dispel some of the no longer valid concerns that regularly crop up about the voodoo of efi.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:11 PM
copter98
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the Holley HP Injection System and used the Edelbrock Pro Flow XT Intake.

Loren Smith (04-24-2021)
Old 01-28-2019, 02:43 PM
bbison
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I have an Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 on my C1. So far, so good. Supposed to be self-learning, though I haven't used the (provided) tablet to check if it's changed anything.
Kris_K (04-16-2021)
Old 01-28-2019, 08:07 PM
Drothgeb
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by bbison
I have an Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 on my C1. So far, so good. Supposed to be self-learning, though I haven't used the (provided) tablet to check if it's changed anything.
Did it fit under the stock hood?
Old 01-28-2019, 10:30 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by RJ1
I have a Mass Flo sequential EFI installed for 5 years now. Has been perfect. System includes distributor and ignition with a single plane intake. Has a port if you have a problem you can plug in and

check engine code. Never have had to use it. Self learning and ECU controls everything.
I don’t like the expense, but I would argue that this is the best system on the market! Chris is an amazing engineer and the self tuning on this system is just phenomenal! I’ve used two of his systems and they run flawlessly.
I love the Holley sniper, but if you have the extra money, the port injection efi from mass flo is worth it. You can literally bolt it on and drive cross country.
RJ1 (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 11:25 AM
RJ1
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by 65silververt

I don’t like the expense, but I would argue that this is the best system on the market! Chris is an amazing engineer and the self tuning on this system is just phenomenal! I’ve used two of his systems and they run flawlessly.
I love the Holley sniper, but if you have the extra money, the port injection efi from mass flo is worth it. You can literally bolt it on and drive cross country.
Your right Chris was great to work with and you can call him directly. He programs each ECU based on the engine and car your going to install the system on. And again your on the money it ran great right out of the install and got better when is learned your driving style.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:36 PM
bbison
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Drothgeb

Did it fit under the stock hood?
Yes, easily.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:08 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,556 Likes on 2,798 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

Well, based on this thread and my desire to have fuel injection, but concerned about the additional work, I just bIt the bullet and ordered my engine for fat boy. Did you know if you order a Blueprint engine with a Holley Sniper, they will set it up and dyno it with your system installed? That was enough for me!
The following 2 users liked this post by Factoid:
633BR (04-11-2021), Rob_64-365 (01-30-2019)
Old 10-04-2020, 02:59 PM
polo91
Drifting

Received 1,031 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by J.Abbott
I went with FI on my 67 for two reasons. #1 is having correct mixture all the time. I have disassembled many small block Chevys with 200K on them that showed very little wear on the bores which I attribute to FI. My C4 had a leaking head gasket so I pulled the heads to take a look at the problem and expected to remove the engine for a rebuild. Well, I found everything perfect after 180K, so I just buttoned it up and have put another 20K since then. That comes from not washing the cylinder walls with gasoline. #2 the final straw came when my C2 started running a little rough, so I popped the hood and found a pint of gasoline sitting on my hot engine from a stuck float. No telling how much gas ran down over my pipes and wires, I don't have to tell you how that might have turned out. Run a Fitech, in-tank pump, stock air cleaner, looks very natural under the hood, and runs perfect.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:05 PM
gls58
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Has anyone had experience with the Edelbrock Pro Flo 4 system? I'm considering one on my '58. The engine I have is a NOM 283 low HP with Rochester F.I. I'm having perc problems that keeps me sort of "grounded". I was thinking of using their sump pump system instead refitting the fuel tank. Any thoughts? I am looking for better reliabillity and not speed and such.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:23 PM
gls58
Advanced

Bbison, sorry I didn't see your post on the first pass! Can you provide some pic of your install?
Old 04-14-2021, 10:10 PM
Black_Magic
Safety Car

Received 448 Likes on 205 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year (appearance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
CI 4-5-7-9-10-11 Car Show Winner
CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-9-10-11 Vet

Originally Posted by raylag64
Back to the subject.....
Does the original 365 air cleaner fit over the sniper without mods?
Yes and you can use shielding with a little tweeking.

I had a problem getting linkage to perform correctly so I went with LOKAR -- problem solved.

George

Old 04-15-2021, 07:53 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,530 Likes on 3,004 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by gls58
Has anyone had experience with the Edelbrock Pro Flo 4 system? I'm considering one on my '58. The engine I have is a NOM 283 low HP with Rochester F.I. I'm having perc problems that keeps me sort of "grounded". I was thinking of using their sump pump system instead refitting the fuel tank. Any thoughts? I am looking for better reliabillity and not speed and such.
There are many things you can do to mitigate FI fuel perc which cost significantly less than any aftermarket EFI system.

They are described in detail in this thread. Have you seen it?

How to fix FI fuel perc

Get notified of new replies

To Aftermarket EFI sytems

Old 04-15-2021, 02:21 PM
CorvetteMikeB
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 311 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist

Originally Posted by High Draw
Went with the Sniper system and bought the tank as well. Love it so far.
Driveablility is awesome.

Have any updates? Still Love it so Far?
Old 04-15-2021, 08:00 PM
gls58
Advanced

Thanks Jim, yes I followed the thread closely and I have been gathering some of the stuff to try to solve the problem, ie nylon bolts for the injector block hold-downs, the fan to cool the spider and associated ducting and the electric fuel pump. I have yet to install these but expect to get to them soon. I thought of contacting you on the mods you did with the steel fuel lines and the conversion to reroute fuel back to the F.I. pump. I'm not the tinkerer that a lot of members like yourself are but appreciate y'alls thinking here. To me, the mods reflect a lot more than just tinkering.

Thanks to all,
Gary
Old 04-15-2021, 08:17 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,530 Likes on 3,004 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by gls58
Thanks Jim, yes I followed the thread closely and I have been gathering some of the stuff to try to solve the problem, ie nylon bolts for the injector block hold-downs, the fan to cool the spider and associated ducting and the electric fuel pump. I have yet to install these but expect to get to them soon. I thought of contacting you on the mods you did with the steel fuel lines and the conversion to reroute fuel back to the F.I. pump. I'm not the tinkerer that a lot of members like yourself are but appreciate y'alls thinking here. To me, the mods reflect a lot more than just tinkering.

Thanks to all,
Gary
If you followed what Roberto and I did to cure fuel perc on our respective FI units, your take away should be that it can be done. Too, the expense isn't huge.

If you decide to convert to the steel fuel lines and add fuel recirculation, I'd be happy to help.

Last edited by jim lockwood; 04-15-2021 at 08:19 PM.

Quick Reply: [C2] Aftermarket EFI sytems