C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling a C2's N03 tank

 
Old 01-28-2019, 09:30 AM
  #1  
mikelj
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
Thread Starter
 
mikelj's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2009
Location: High Mountains of New Mexico
Posts: 1,907
Recieved 282 Likes on 200 Posts
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist
Default Pulling a C2's N03 tank

Anyone here have experience in doing this? Such as what needs to be removed in the interior to accomplish it? Thanks.
mikelj is offline  
Old 01-28-2019, 09:50 AM
  #2  
Dr L-88
CF Senior Member
 
Dr L-88's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2007
Location: Richmond Kentucky
Posts: 4,793
Recieved 437 Likes on 215 Posts
2017 C1 of the Year Finalist
Default

Mike,

you will have to remove the seats in order to get the tank cover out. That should do it.

Rex
Dr L-88 is offline  
Old 01-28-2019, 09:52 AM
  #3  
mikelj
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
Thread Starter
 
mikelj's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2009
Location: High Mountains of New Mexico
Posts: 1,907
Recieved 282 Likes on 200 Posts
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist
Default

Thanks Rex, a leak developed so need to get it out to fix it. I suspect the leak is along the seam where the 2 halves are put together, does that sound right?
mikelj is offline  
Old 01-28-2019, 09:54 AM
  #4  
mikelj
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
Thread Starter
 
mikelj's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2009
Location: High Mountains of New Mexico
Posts: 1,907
Recieved 282 Likes on 200 Posts
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist
Default

This test was done a long time ago......
mikelj is offline  
Old 01-28-2019, 09:56 AM
  #5  
Dr L-88
CF Senior Member
 
Dr L-88's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2007
Location: Richmond Kentucky
Posts: 4,793
Recieved 437 Likes on 215 Posts
2017 C1 of the Year Finalist
Default

Quite possible. Mine had a leak there and I drained the tank prior to removing it. Once I had it out of the car I dried it out and did the usual fiberglass repair, grind out the suspect area, clean it well and glass it over with good quality cloth and resin.

Good luck with it.

I love your cars!!!

Rex
Dr L-88 is offline  
Old 01-28-2019, 11:03 AM
  #6  
mikelj
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
Thread Starter
 
mikelj's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2009
Location: High Mountains of New Mexico
Posts: 1,907
Recieved 282 Likes on 200 Posts
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist
Default

Thank you! Last unrestored one now going through body off, so soon they will all be completed.
mikelj is offline  
Old 01-28-2019, 08:33 PM
  #7  
mikelj
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
Thread Starter
 
mikelj's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2009
Location: High Mountains of New Mexico
Posts: 1,907
Recieved 282 Likes on 200 Posts
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist
Default

Found the leak, not the seam, but a hole punched somehow, sometime, had been leaking for a long time it looks like. I suspect some previous owners may not have filled it up that far for the leak to happen before I did.
mikelj is offline  
Old 01-28-2019, 08:37 PM
  #8  
dmaxx3500
CF Senior Member
 
dmaxx3500's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2008
Location: chicago
Posts: 24,680
Recieved 485 Likes on 377 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Dr L-88 View Post
Quite possible. Mine had a leak there and I drained the tank prior to removing it. Once I had it out of the car I dried it out and did the usual fiberglass repair, grind out the suspect area, clean it well and glass it over with good quality cloth and resin.

Good luck with it.

I love your cars!!!

Rex
be very careful,,ethanol fuels eat thru a lot of resins
dmaxx3500 is online now  
Old 01-28-2019, 09:51 PM
  #9  
mikelj
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
Thread Starter
 
mikelj's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2009
Location: High Mountains of New Mexico
Posts: 1,907
Recieved 282 Likes on 200 Posts
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist
Default

I think that is part of the problem with this one. I got it about 18 months ago, I use nothing but a mix of ethanol free premium and 101 octane racing fuel, I suspect the previous owner was not so careful.
mikelj is offline  
Old 01-28-2019, 11:01 PM
  #10  
Vettrocious
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Vettrocious's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2009
Location: Glen Arbor MI
Posts: 1,791
Recieved 197 Likes on 156 Posts
2017 C2 of Year Finalist
Default

Originally Posted by mikelj View Post
I think that is part of the problem with this one. I got it about 18 months ago, I use nothing but a mix of ethanol free premium and 101 octane racing fuel, I suspect the previous owner was not so careful.
You know, Michael, given that "the previous owner wasn't so careful" I hate to see you risk life and limb trying to fix up a leaky old tank that holds so much more fuel than the one in the normal Vette. I can can hitch my trailer up and be in New Mexico in no time, to save you you from a possible conflagration, by taking that thing off of your hands... just say the word


Vettrocious is offline  
Old 01-29-2019, 09:27 AM
  #11  
mikelj
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
Thread Starter
 
mikelj's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2009
Location: High Mountains of New Mexico
Posts: 1,907
Recieved 282 Likes on 200 Posts
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist
Default

Yes, I am sure you would be here in a flash to pick Zoe (my name for her) up. But I am keeping her, a great, unique car I have looked for for a long time. My initial inspections of her were not complete or long enough to notice all the issues the body off restoration in 2008 missed, got wrong, and didn't fix. I saw many, but as I drove her around for several hundred miles, more and more became apparent. Some restoration shops focus only on cosmetics and miss everything else. Though she won the Triple Crown, there were many things that are not as factory delivered and not to my standards that have now been corrected.

Here is the collection of debris removed from the tank, including an old, broken gas can spout.......


Last edited by mikelj; 01-29-2019 at 09:44 AM.
mikelj is offline  
Old 01-29-2019, 09:30 AM
  #12  
dmaxx3500
CF Senior Member
 
dmaxx3500's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2008
Location: chicago
Posts: 24,680
Recieved 485 Likes on 377 Posts
Default

looks like resin pieces

I wonder if the inside cant be cleaned,and lined,,or a bladder put inside
dmaxx3500 is online now  
Old 01-29-2019, 09:41 AM
  #13  
mikelj
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
Thread Starter
 
mikelj's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2009
Location: High Mountains of New Mexico
Posts: 1,907
Recieved 282 Likes on 200 Posts
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist
Default

All that can be done, But I don't want to cut it all up and disturb its' originality. The inside was inspected and there are no apparent problem, It will be fine. If you were going to race it or the like, you would want to put in a different tank altogether.
mikelj is offline  
Old 01-29-2019, 09:42 AM
  #14  
jimgessner
CF Senior Member
 
jimgessner's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2000
Location: Bandera Texas
Posts: 3,204
Recieved 139 Likes on 92 Posts
Default

Thanks for saving these old TANKERS Mike. Did I ever send you all the restoration photos of that car?
jimgessner is offline  
Old 01-29-2019, 09:46 AM
  #15  
mikelj
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
Thread Starter
 
mikelj's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2009
Location: High Mountains of New Mexico
Posts: 1,907
Recieved 282 Likes on 200 Posts
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist
Default

Originally Posted by jimgessner View Post
Thanks for saving these old TANKERS Mike. Did I ever send you all the restoration photos of that car?
You're welcome, it is a labor of love for these cars. Yes, I have the restoration pictures. I wish Terry had done a better restoration job on this one, but I have fixed most of the problems now so all is well.

Last edited by mikelj; 01-29-2019 at 09:57 AM.
mikelj is offline  
Old 01-29-2019, 04:38 PM
  #16  
Vettrocious
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Vettrocious's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2009
Location: Glen Arbor MI
Posts: 1,791
Recieved 197 Likes on 156 Posts
2017 C2 of Year Finalist
Default

Originally Posted by mikelj View Post
Yes, I am sure you would be here in a flash to pick Zoe (my name for her) up. But I am keeping her, a great, unique car I have looked for for a long time. My initial inspections of her were not complete or long enough to notice all the issues the body off restoration in 2008 missed, got wrong, and didn't fix. I saw many, but as I drove her around for several hundred miles, more and more became apparent. Some restoration shops focus only on cosmetics and miss everything else. Though she won the Triple Crown, there were many things that are not as factory delivered and not to my standards that have now been corrected.

Here is the collection of debris removed from the tank, including an old, broken gas can spout.......
I had a similar experience when re-restoring my blue 63 back in 2012. The car had been body-off restored in 1989, and did well in judging for the previous owner (Bloomington Gold, Duntov, Triple Crown) but after mostly sitting for twenty years it needed a redo.

After pulling the body off, John Hinckley came over and went through the chassis with me. You could still eat off of the frame, but the list of things John found wrong was long and distinguished; it was amazing how much the old pink Judging Guide failed to specify. The fuel tank was blue...Finding all those old rare original parts was a nightmare...

Good luck with Zoe...

Last edited by Vettrocious; 01-29-2019 at 06:12 PM.
Vettrocious is offline  
Old 01-29-2019, 05:47 PM
  #17  
mikelj
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
Thread Starter
 
mikelj's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2009
Location: High Mountains of New Mexico
Posts: 1,907
Recieved 282 Likes on 200 Posts
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist
Default

Thank you! I am sure John is a wealth of info. I am a Master judge in NCRS, and so are the two guys who help restore my cars, so we try to get them right.

One thing I am curious about, now that I have a good excuse to look at it, is the unique sending unit for the C2 tankers. I have another that is not working I now have the courage and experience to pull and get rebuilt/restored. Here is a picture of the one I sent off for restoration, some parts have been upgraded, but you can see the basic unit and tube. The one running to the top of it was crimped and soldered off. The other end was open, like it used to be a fuel inlet with a sock on it. It resembles a '63 Chevy/GMC pickup sending unit. I am now wondering if they used that and modified it for the tankers. What do you think?
mikelj is offline  
Old 01-29-2019, 09:01 PM
  #18  
Vettrocious
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Vettrocious's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2009
Location: Glen Arbor MI
Posts: 1,791
Recieved 197 Likes on 156 Posts
2017 C2 of Year Finalist
Default

Originally Posted by mikelj View Post
Thank you! I am sure John is a wealth of info. I am a Master judge in NCRS, and so are the two guys who help restore my cars, so we try to get them right.

One thing I am curious about, now that I have a good excuse to look at it, is the unique sending unit for the C2 tankers. I have another that is not working I now have the courage and experience to pull and get rebuilt/restored. Here is a picture of the one I sent off for restoration, some parts have been upgraded, but you can see the basic unit and tube. The one running to the top of it was crimped and soldered off. The other end was open, like it used to be a fuel inlet with a sock on it. It resembles a '63 Chevy/GMC pickup sending unit. I am now wondering if they used that and modified it for the tankers. What do you think?
That was my first experience with "judging" and I learned a lot about 63 chassis that day from the best. That chassis scored 692 of 700 at National when I got done, so John's tutorage was invaluable.

You had all those knowledgable guys restoring your car - and you needed me to crawl around under it to judge its chassis at Vegas last year? Right

Sorry, I don't know much about sending units, may be someone else here can chime in...
Vettrocious is offline  
The following users liked this post:
mikelj (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 10:16 PM
  #19  
mikelj
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
Thread Starter
 
mikelj's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2009
Location: High Mountains of New Mexico
Posts: 1,907
Recieved 282 Likes on 200 Posts
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist
Default

The chassis judging was great in 'Vegas on Coco (black with a white interior, like a Coco Chanel bag.....). I lost 12 points and you guys found every one very accurately. The mech team, well a different story....
mikelj is offline  
Old 01-30-2019, 06:47 AM
  #20  
Vettrocious
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Vettrocious's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2009
Location: Glen Arbor MI
Posts: 1,791
Recieved 197 Likes on 156 Posts
2017 C2 of Year Finalist
Default

Too bad youíre not near here, the N03 tank install is something Iíd like to learn about. I havenít seen one come out and thereís not many of those cars around to learn on.
Vettrocious is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pulling a C2's N03 tank


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: