C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1966 Clock Repair help

 
Old 02-09-2019, 01:02 PM
  #1  
DONR
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
DONR's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: AMARILLO TEXAS
Posts: 445
Likes: 0
Recieved 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Default 1966 Clock Repair help

I took my clock apart so I could get the gears in it working. I was able to do that, but when I applied voltage to it it still would not run.
I suspect when the gears got hard to turn the coil burned up in it. Can I just buy just the coil for the clock somewhere? I know I can send it off to someone, but I am one to test my skills on things that don't work.
Thanks for your help.
Don
DONR is offline  
Old 02-09-2019, 01:20 PM
  #2  
quahog
CF Senior Member
 
quahog's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2003
Location: taunton mass
Posts: 323
Recieved 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default clock

There is a set of points in the clock if it is of original design, these points snap open when energized winding the clock . You may find that the points are stuck , if so you may be able to open the points manually , winding the clock, with luck and a little exercise it may work. If not you can buy the internal mechanism and replace it yourself , both the original design and an quarts are available, check with the various corvette vendors , I doubt you'll find just a coil . Hope this helps Jeff
quahog is offline  
Old 02-09-2019, 02:39 PM
  #3  
Frankie the Fink
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Frankie the Fink's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2007
Location: Orlando Metro Area Florida
Posts: 48,185
Recieved 3,517 Likes on 2,778 Posts
Default

Clock Works put an OEM style Borg mechanical movement in my 63 clock for $159.
Frankie the Fink is offline  
Old 02-09-2019, 04:14 PM
  #4  
DONR
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
DONR's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: AMARILLO TEXAS
Posts: 445
Likes: 0
Recieved 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Default

I did check the points. They were not stuck. I have not found a place to buy the original design internals.
DONR is offline  
Old 02-09-2019, 04:51 PM
  #5  
Donald #31176
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2004
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,413
Likes: 0
Recieved 69 Likes on 64 Posts
Default

In 1990s Instrument Services Inc in Janesville, Wisconsin sold parts for 1963-67 Corvette clocks.. I have a parts list that lists Magnet Coil Assy for $4.00.

Phone # 800 558 2674
(608) 755 0993
Donald #31176 is offline  
Old 02-09-2019, 05:57 PM
  #6  
survivor66
CF Senior Member
 
survivor66's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2012
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 339
Recieved 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default

If the gears turn when moving the escapement by hand, they may need cleaning or lubrication. I used a few drops of acetone at gear bearing points and that loosened them up. Be sparing with the acetone as it is a strong solvent. You might not need any oil - I didn't and it's running years later.
survivor66 is offline  
Old 04-13-2019, 03:29 PM
  #7  
58n65
CF Senior Member
 
58n65's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2004
Location: South MS
Posts: 928
Recieved 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by quahog View Post
There is a set of points in the clock if it is of original design, these points snap open when energized winding the clock . You may find that the points are stuck , if so you may be able to open the points manually , winding the clock, with luck and a little exercise it may work. If not you can buy the internal mechanism and replace it yourself , both the original design and an quarts are available, check with the various corvette vendors , I doubt you'll find just a coil . Hope this helps Jeff
When I open the points up, my clock works perfectly. But as soon as I apply power, the clock stops. I've sprayed the gears with WD-40, exercised the gears by turning the winding **** (or whatever it's called, and get the same result.

Any ideas on how to fix this issue?

Thanks,
Dex.
58n65 is offline  
Old 04-15-2019, 07:33 PM
  #8  
JohnZ
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Oct 2000
Location: Washington Michigan
Posts: 38,006
Recieved 1,003 Likes on 666 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 58n65 View Post
When I open the points up, my clock works perfectly. But as soon as I apply power, the clock stops. I've sprayed the gears with WD-40, exercised the gears by turning the winding **** (or whatever it's called, and get the same result.

Any ideas on how to fix this issue?

Thanks,
Dex.
Yup - send it to Clockworks.
JohnZ is offline  
Old 04-15-2019, 11:15 PM
  #9  
58n65
CF Senior Member
 
58n65's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2004
Location: South MS
Posts: 928
Recieved 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by JohnZ View Post
Yup - send it to Clockworks.
Thanks JohnZ! Today, I tested the points and there was no continuity from one side to the other, thus not allowing the ground to reach the relay. I put on my magnifying glasses and saw a black spot in the center of the receiving side of the points, so I used my pocket knife to remove it. After that I had continuity, but it was late so I didn't test it again. Hopefully either tomorrow or Thursday I can connect the 12VDC power supply to it to see if it works before I put it back together AGAIN.

Thanks,
Dex.
58n65 is offline  
Old 04-16-2019, 01:42 PM
  #10  
58n65
CF Senior Member
 
58n65's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2004
Location: South MS
Posts: 928
Recieved 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Default

I found this video that shows how to replace one of the contact points. Not sure if this is what I'd do or not, but it worked.


Thanks,
Dex.
58n65 is offline  
Old 04-16-2019, 10:34 PM
  #11  
58n65
CF Senior Member
 
58n65's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2004
Location: South MS
Posts: 928
Recieved 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Default

UPDATE!!! Tested the clock and all is working fine. I filed both sides and no continuity and just one spec kept it from touching. It's amazing what a little spec of whatever can cause issues!!!

Thanks,
Dex.
58n65 is offline  
Old 04-17-2019, 11:00 AM
  #12  
GUSTO14
CF Senior Member
 
GUSTO14's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2003
Location: eastern NC
Posts: 7,171
Recieved 808 Likes on 701 Posts
Default

We all talk about filing the points in the original mechanically wound clocks, and it does work many times, I know because it was something I did to mine in 1969 and it worked 'like a clock'.

However, for longevity purposes, use a fine grade of emery paper as a final step on the contact points. The smoother the final finish, the longer the clock will continue to work before requiring its next 'filing'...

Good luck... GUSTO
GUSTO14 is offline  
Old 04-17-2019, 12:47 PM
  #13  
58n65
CF Senior Member
 
58n65's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2004
Location: South MS
Posts: 928
Recieved 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by GUSTO14 View Post
We all talk about filing the points in the original mechanically wound clocks, and it does work many times, I know because it was something I did to mine in 1969 and it worked 'like a clock'.

However, for longevity purposes, use a fine grade of emery paper as a final step on the contact points. The smoother the final finish, the longer the clock will continue to work before requiring its next 'filing'...

Good luck... GUSTO
Thanks Gusto! I used the term "filing" but I actually first used coarse sandpaper (maybe 120 grit) and then finished with a fine sandpaper (maybe 800 grit). I only lightly rubbed the contacts. The receiving side seemed to be slightly concave, so I think that is why the black spot was not removed during the "sanding" process.

Thanks,
Dex.
58n65 is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1966 Clock Repair help


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: