C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Restomod Auction Values

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 09:45 AM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Default Restomod Auction Values

Of the top selling Corvettes , 11 including Jeff Gordon's Z-06 and an original L-88 , 9 were restomods averaging nearly 300,000 each. I think it mentioned $277,000 if I remember correctly . An owner of a low mileage original museum piece unless deemed an experimental prototype can only think about a comparable value. A focus with investors that have driven prices in the past has a clear shift. An original body, vin plate and title will soon be the " bones " of many recreated classic Corvettes . Not every owner is in step with this style. One can bet a huge percentage of lower priced project or driver condition examples will be snapped up, stored and transitioned. Soon a driver condition will compete with restored examples separated in value by small margins. As the unneeded parts enter the sales market it is good news for the preferred original owner group that cling to factory specifications. I was always under the impression it was better to have a half dozen project / driver condition vettes than one pristine example of the C-1 & 2 era. The spread of interest and opinions makes this hobby fascinating as a new generation of owners contemplate their perspective .

Popular Reply

02-16-2019, 10:51 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

Here is my take on the whole thing. In 20 years it's not going to make a hill of beans difference. All of us 70ish folks will be gone, or in a home, not remembering if we ate breakfast. Gas stations will be like the 45 RPM record. Fossil fuel use will require a permit, and batteries will be the "power source" for transportation.

I'm gonna do what I want to do while I'm here, and could give a "****" about what the bankers or snowflakes think. Drive on!!

As to what somebody does or doesn't do with their car................ "not my monkey, not my circus"
Old 02-16-2019, 09:52 AM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

I do understand the craze of the Restomods but I dont think the average Joe will be able to afford one. Only a select few will. Its hard enough owning a C2 as it is.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:03 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I doubt there will be a new younger following for these cars. They are too old, expensive and have no appeal vs the new stuff thats out. Were dinosaurs....
Remember the model T, billet mobile 32 ford craze in the 80s? Noone wants them, the musclecar days are over....or reborn so to speak.

What kid thats driven an SS Camaro, SRT Challenger would drive one of these and be blown away?
Old 02-16-2019, 10:08 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I don’t know where it’s going. Working folks can buy a gently used 400+ hp modern car for 1/3 the price of a restomod. There will always be a market for them, but how broad it remains is all speculation.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:24 AM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,067 Posts

I don't care what mine will be worth! Many here will say I don't like those wheels, I can't stand LS engines, why did you ruin it with a 4L640E, there's already too many silver cars, and on and on. All I want is it finished where I can drive it the rest of my days. Then the grandkids can sort out what to do with it. I only lack a few thing$$$$$$$.
The following 4 users liked this post by Robert61:
gobomon (02-19-2019), Joe Inama (02-17-2019), ptjsk (03-01-2019), solidaxel (02-20-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 10:42 AM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I don’t know where it’s going. Working folks can buy a gently used 400+ hp modern car for 1/3 the price of a restomod. There will always be a market for them, but how broad it remains is all speculation.
I don't believe it will be huge numbers . Just as some spend thousands for perfection of factory condition paying judges for written documentation. It will be part of the hobby that appeals to the banker version of investors . It was interesting to note a partial recreation so to speak had this kind of support from buyers at high auction values. The throw back designs ( Camaro, Challenger, Mustang ) of the sixties haven't won the market as well as the manufacturers planned. Without the auction hype considerably less will be sold on the open market at a near three hundred thousand dollar figure. It just surprised me while reading the report.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:43 AM
rsinor
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 362 Likes on 168 Posts

I continue to believe the rest-o-mod craze is no different than the street rod craze of the past. Just as then, the day your car was finished it was outdated because the next build was better more modern. Just as then with very few exceptions the most the car was ever worth was just before the last check was written. Sure a few break the bank with the first retail sale, but that’s the exception rather than the norm and repeat sales prove that for the majority with each change of hands they go down in value.

Will we ever see the rise in value, of original, street rod, custom, rest-o-mod vehicles in the future that we have seen in the original classics of yesteryear. If I knew that answer I wouldn’t be spending Saturday morning on a forum I’d be in Fiji with my toes in the sand listening to the ocean.
The following 2 users liked this post by rsinor:
Loren Smith (02-19-2019), PaulUptime (03-02-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 10:51 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

Here is my take on the whole thing. In 20 years it's not going to make a hill of beans difference. All of us 70ish folks will be gone, or in a home, not remembering if we ate breakfast. Gas stations will be like the 45 RPM record. Fossil fuel use will require a permit, and batteries will be the "power source" for transportation.

I'm gonna do what I want to do while I'm here, and could give a "****" about what the bankers or snowflakes think. Drive on!!

As to what somebody does or doesn't do with their car................ "not my monkey, not my circus"

Last edited by mike coletta; 02-16-2019 at 10:53 AM.
The following 16 users liked this post by mike coletta:
alexandervdr (03-02-2019), bigearl56 (02-16-2019), biggd (02-19-2019), chgc267 (02-19-2019), Corvettes by George (02-19-2019), Dreaming60’s (02-19-2019), gobomon (02-19-2019), Jackfit (02-19-2019), j_66chevelle (02-16-2019), Loren Smith (02-19-2019), mark6669 (03-01-2019), OHSIXX (02-16-2019), Panhead (03-02-2019), ptjsk (03-01-2019), RJ1 (02-16-2019), solidaxel (03-03-2019) and 11 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-16-2019, 11:15 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by mike coletta

Ive been saying that for sometime now. You will pull up an app on your smart phone and rent a self-driving car to go where you want and it will pull up at your house and drive you off as you are blasted by ads en route.

A permit will will be needed to drive anything yourself and no insurance company will touch you.

Drive the anout snot out of them now!
The following 2 users liked this post by Frankie the Fink:
bigearl56 (02-16-2019), Loren Smith (02-19-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 11:33 AM
Big Hit
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Twenty Two week lead time for a Roadster Shop C2 Chassis.....
Old 02-16-2019, 11:53 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by jrs 427
The throw back designs ( Camaro, Challenger, Mustang ) of the sixties haven't won the market as well as the manufacturers planned. Without the auction hype considerably less will be sold on the open market at a near three hundred thousand dollar figure. It just surprised me while reading the report.
Are you (or was the report) saying the modern retro cars “haven’t won the market?”

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...dge-challenger

The 1970–74 Challenger sold just over 165,000 cars. Since 2008, Dodge has put about 450,000 modern-era, LX-based Challengers on the road, with roughly half of those having Hemi V-8s.” (As of May, 2018)

The retro cars introduced into the market have been undeniably a spectacular success.

Also, anyone have an average out the door cost to build a restomod that sells for $300k?

Last edited by vettebuyer6369; 02-16-2019 at 11:57 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by vettebuyer6369:
Loren Smith (02-19-2019), rsinor (02-19-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 01:10 PM
rsinor
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 362 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by mike coletta

i agree, hate to admit that twenty is what I hope I might have left but there is more track behind me than in front of me for sure. So I’ll drive my LS powered 40 Ford, Ardun powered 32 Ford Vicky, and 65 337/300 like I stole them during the time I have left. Frankie, my wife has a red 02 TBird also, it’s a great driving little machine for the money.

Last edited by rsinor; 02-16-2019 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:17 PM
baker19
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by rsinor
I continue to believe the rest-o-mod craze is no different than the street rod craze of the past. Just as then, the day your car was finished it was outdated because the next build was better more modern. Just as then with very few exceptions the most the car was ever worth was just before the last check was written. Sure a few break the bank with the first retail sale, but that’s the exception rather than the norm and repeat sales prove that for the majority with each change of hands they go down in value.

Will we ever see the rise in value, of original, street rod, custom, rest-o-mod vehicles in the future that we have seen in the original classics of yesteryear. If I knew that answer I wouldn’t be spending Saturday morning on a forum I’d be in Fiji with my toes in the sand listening to the ocean.
While I'm a Newbee to this car category, I totally agree with this comment. Young guys or even most "pretty old" guys for that matter don't have much interest in really old stuff. My $90K Porsche turbo cab with a pdk will run 0-60 in 3.0 seconds, a quarter mile in 10s, and top speed of 200 mph ((I've only had it to 185) all day long with no drama right from the factory. You can buy a nice flashy Lamborghini Gallardo for $110K (had one / hated it) now or a fantastic low mile Ferrari 458 for $175K. When I was considering the 63 SWC resto-mod, I said why do that when I can get a Ferrari 458 for less than the build I want will cost? Well I was ready to pull the trigger on the Ferrari but just had to go with my heart and do the SWC. Been my dream car for 35 years since I was a teen but I'm doing a full resto-mod. A friend asked me this weekend of all the cars I've had, which one did I regret selling. I said none, but I'm not selling the 63. Never say never but I'm building it at a fairly high level but to drive it, not dragging it to some car show to win a $50 trophy. I watched a Youtube video of the guy that owns a beautiful 63 restomod that Jeff Hayes built called Split Personality and in the interview he had the car for 5 years and said he drives it. When asked, he said well it had 40 miles on it. Really? What's the point?

PS - I just booked a trip to Fiji last week with my family over two Saturdays to put my toes in the sand and listen to the ocean!
Old 02-18-2019, 11:34 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by baker19
I totally agree with this comment. Young guys or even most "pretty old" guys for that matter don't have much interest in really old stuff.!
Really old stuff is cool when somebody else owns it. That said, the free, 1933 Chev roadster (all as original except the seat belts i put in) I was given is fun to drive,---where I live---, a rural area with little traffic, it would be totally unusable in even a small metro area.

I wouldn't have ever bought it, but i love the car; I am now its care taker..

Doug

The following 3 users liked this post by AZDoug:
biggd (02-19-2019), Loren Smith (02-19-2019), Robert61 (02-18-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 12:09 AM
sidepipe seeker
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts

ALL the various comments of "DOOM" & GLOOM" ....Only Electric Cars....Classic Muscle Cars values are as endangered as the Amur Leopard...ad nauseam

Reminds me of a Famous Mark Twain quote...."The rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated?" .....Mark
The following 2 users liked this post by sidepipe seeker:
Corvettes by George (02-19-2019), Low Rider (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 03:33 AM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert61
I don't care what mine will be worth! Many here will say I don't like those wheels, I can't stand LS engines, why did you ruin it with a 4L640E, there's already too many silver cars, and on and on. All I want is it finished where I can drive it the rest of my days. Then the grandkids can sort out what to do with it. I only lack a few thing$$$$$$$.
Robert,

You don't have to put 19/20" wheels on a Restomod. Wheels/tire size is your choice.

Car below has 17" wheels on on. But what it has for rear tire size is 27.75" dia tire on rear (stock C2 dia is 27 1/2" inches) doing this fills the wheel well like stock tires/wheels. On front use smaller dia tires, 26 1/2 in dia on front to get what call stance, low, lower front tall rear, rather than doing it with suspension. I give up 1.20" of tread with, that unless you get down on the ground to look under car to see that, an only if you know tires, even the the average Joe thinks they are wide meat....LOL

Now the below car has 19" fronts and 20" rears. Same base tire dia as the above car. Again I give up 1.20" of tire width, to get a taller tire that fill the wheel unlike using stock C6/C7 tire sizes.

Width loss to get tires that fill the wheel like stock one. For me, that helps mitigate some of the Rubber Band Tire Dia. look.

C6 tires and wheels, same car. Notice the difference in Rubber Band look you get by giving up tire width to get a tire tire that fills the wheel well like stock tires. Also rear of 1/4 panel had not been widen, as stock bumper fits. Will have to weld-in 2 3/4" section of another bumper to get rear tire coverage I want to make wide tires look like they belong on car as well as for aerodynamic look I'm after.

Now I'm older than most of you as I'm 75 yrs old. But at 75, my thinking is more like the younger generation. I could care less about what older generations think,,,Tire/Wheel wise, body wise an ect.

The audience I'm interested in, looks wise of car, are the generations that have grown-up with narrow sidewall tires. They are the ones that might be able to deal with adding aero-skirt rocker panels as well as try at adding more of an modern style front splilter like ones on C6/C7 Vettes to a Classic Design Car 60's car. One of the reasons the frontend of car was widen 1.0" on each side so as to encapsulate the front tires inside body, instead of having them hanging out in air stream like stock tires as well as the ones on 1st car I built does.

On the rear, same thing, tires are encapsulated inside body on both the front and rear of car, even more so than stock tires that came on car. This is just me, I do my on thing, building for myself first, others last. All I want anyone to do is come over and really look the car over, not just walk by. Ugly can work just as well as Beauty for a car at doing that... just might not keep them looking car over as much...LOL

Just have to do your on thinking, rather than follow the trend, because that whats tire sizes are that come on new Vettes.

Note: By the way, I once said I'd never put 19/"20" wheels on a car of mine... One never knows,,, .how things can change....LOL

Last edited by Poorhousenext; 02-19-2019 at 03:55 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Poorhousenext:
Big Hit (02-19-2019), Loren Smith (02-19-2019), Zoomin (03-02-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 06:43 AM
John S 1961
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 137 Posts

Soon a driver condition will compete with restored examples

bring it on.

Get notified of new replies

To Restomod Auction Values

Old 02-28-2019, 09:41 PM
CorvetteMikeB
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 311 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist

Originally Posted by Robert61

Old 02-28-2019, 10:01 PM
sidepipe seeker
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by baker19
While I'm a Newbee to this car category, I totally agree with this comment. Young guys or even most "pretty old" guys for that matter don't have much interest in really old stuff. My $90K Porsche turbo cab with a pdk will run 0-60 in 3.0 seconds, a quarter mile in 10s, and top speed of 200 mph ((I've only had it to 185) all day long with no drama right from the factory. You can buy a nice flashy Lamborghini Gallardo for $110K (had one / hated it) now or a fantastic low mile Ferrari 458 for $175K. When I was considering the 63 SWC resto-mod, I said why do that when I can get a Ferrari 458 for less than the build I want will cost? Well I was ready to pull the trigger on the Ferrari but just had to go with my heart and do the SWC. Been my dream car for 35 years since I was a teen but I'm doing a full resto-mod. A friend asked me this weekend of all the cars I've had, which one did I regret selling. I said none, but I'm not selling the 63. Never say never but I'm building it at a fairly high level but to drive it, not dragging it to some car show to win a $50 trophy. I watched a Youtube video of the guy that owns a beautiful 63 restomod that Jeff Hayes built called Split Personality and in the interview he had the car for 5 years and said he drives it. When asked, he said well it had 40 miles on it. Really? What's the point?

PS - I just booked a trip to Fiji last week with my family over two Saturdays to put my toes in the sand and listen to the ocean!
I knew your claim of "a quarter of a mile in 10s"...was..."Optimistic"...at times...fishing is akin to Sports Car ownership..in that...in fishing the fish are always BIGGER & in Car ownership...the car/s are always FASTER!!!....11.1 Seconds in the 1/4...is FLYING!!!!!....Mark

https://fastestlaps.com/models/porsc...-cabriolet-991

Last edited by sidepipe seeker; 02-28-2019 at 10:01 PM.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:10 PM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,067 Posts

11.1 is only one tenth away from 10.99.

Quick Reply: Restomod Auction Values