Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Garage build, please advise.

Old 03-12-2019, 07:03 AM
biggd
CF Senior Member

It's much more fun spending someone else's money!
Old 03-12-2019, 02:09 PM
Roger Walling
CF Senior Member

I had witnessed a contractor pouring concrete over a plastic film once and he poked holes through the plastic. He explained that it would take forever to set up in order to finish it and he did not want to be up all night doing that.
Be there when he is pouring and don't let that happen to you.
Also, draw a tight string across the forms before the pour to make sure that the thickness is correct.

Last edited by Roger Walling; 03-12-2019 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:35 PM
biggd
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Roger Walling View Post
I had witnessed a contractor pouring concrete over a plastic film once and he poked holes through the plastic. He explained that it would take forever to set up in order to finish it and he did not want to be up all night doing that.
Be there when he is pouring and don't let that happen to you.
Also, draw a tight string across the forms before the pour to make sure that the thickness is correct.
I just used 2" Dow foam insulation, no plastic barrier, and my floor stays nice and dry. Unless you're in a flood zone the a dense foam insulation will keep it perfectly dry.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:57 PM
red67vert
CF Senior Member

Thank you guys! I will take this info to my builder Friday. He's going to think I'm nuts, so wish me luck!
Old 03-12-2019, 08:35 PM
gilbybarr
CF Senior Member

Right on that 10 mil poly under the concrete...and don't let them punch holes in it....also use rebar, not the wire mesh. I wont have a two post lift.....my slab is 5" thick over the 10 mil which is over aggregate. Also have them spray foundation moisture barrier (like a super thick undercoating) on the outside of the foundation/blocks. Have fun!
Old 03-13-2019, 07:03 AM
jimmies63
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14,'17

I was straight slab on grade. 42x78 at 4" thick on a 10x14 section along the south wall we centered a 6" slab to allow for a two post lift someday. So far the four post has done just fine. May never get to a two post. Thinking of just getting a scissor lift for wheels and brakes.

On the plastic front, in the old garage beside the new one, same elevation, same soil. High and dry above any water table, but on clay, after one winter in that garage I saw mild pitting and oxidation on aluminum parts on my then current collectibles. I was told it was the lack of vapor barrier under the old concrete. Wasn't sure if I believed it, but put down the 10mil in the new one. The guy was right. Not a spec of moisture in 4 years in the new one. Don't see any signs on the cars or parts.

Aside from the in-floor heat, a ground vapor barrier is the only thing that I knew I couldn't fix later. Passed on the heated floor as the shop is 500 back of the house and doesn't have running water. I did go with a dual stage radiant heater - was hard to find a contractor who understood what that was - but mounted 45 degrees against the wall it has done a remarkable job of keeping a large space warm. I don't miss the heated floor at all, but then, I'm never on the floor!
Old 03-14-2019, 10:27 PM
red67vert
CF Senior Member

Thank you guys, great information. Meeting with the builder tomorrow, I’ll let you know what happens

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: