C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

New Garage build, please advise.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 08:28 PM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,152 Likes on 1,037 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by playzwithcars
When I built my garage, the cost for radiant heat was expensive, not really mainstream, not a lot of information for a DIYer and no one could answer the question how long the pipes would last before they needed replacement due to corrosion or other issues (pinhole leaks) in a slab. In my eyes, a leak is not a question of if, it is a question of when..
My response is intended to be helpful to others considering new garage construction:
Radiant heat for new construction is not significantly more expensive than forced hot air and is as main stream as any other form of heat having been used since the 1950's.Today under-slab radiant heat is done using black PEX plastic tubing with an unlimited lifespan. A domestic water heater and a circulator can be employed rather than a wall mounted boiler where codes allow; as the water need only be 110 degrees. It can be left set at 60 and the boiler will run only once in a while, the slab acting as a heat sink. It keeps car bottoms and floors dry, and backs warm. It doesn't blow dust around and It costs far less to operate. Certainly one can prefer a hot-dog unit heater, but the preference does not make it a better choice. I had a garage with a hot-dog for years, I now know the difference. Before you go with other heating methods, discuss radiant heat with your plumbing & heating contractor.

Dan

Last edited by dplotkin; 04-14-2019 at 08:28 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:48 AM
Drothgeb
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

I like the feel of a heated slab, and it works well when heated continuously. But, if you in a colder climate and you only heat it occasionally, then forced air works much better. As some of the others, I keep my storage garages in the 40s during the winter. Raising it to the 60s only takes a 1/2 hr with forced air.

I was was looking at you slab prep, and it doesn’t look like there’s any insulation under your slab?
Old 04-15-2019, 07:16 AM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by halfprice5
I'm using a mini split for heat and cooling. It works very well down to 0f. Only take 30 min or so in extreme cold to heat the garage.

Also did air/240/120 every 4 feet, concrete work bench 11/2 story and scissors trusses they give you approx 1/3 the span open in the center of the truss. spray in foam insulation

Didn't put a bath ans shower, wish I had.
How cold does it get where you are? I have a second home in the NH lakes region and want to heat my 2 car garage. I'm insulating it right now and I'm thinking of going with a mini split for the garage and the room above that is a finished bunk room. It can get pretty cold up there in the winter, -5 with wind chill to -20. I don't need it to be 70 but if I could get it in the 50's I'd be happy.

Last edited by biggd; 04-15-2019 at 07:17 AM.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:51 AM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Drothgeb
I like the feel of a heated slab, and it works well when heated continuously. But, if you in a colder climate and you only heat it occasionally, then forced air works much better. As some of the others, I keep my storage garages in the 40s during the winter. Raising it to the 60s only takes a 1/2 hr with forced air.
I was was looking at you slab prep, and it doesn’t look like there’s any insulation under your slab?
I have no idea what you are looking at or thinking. Under the mesh with tubing (the white stuff) is a blanket of moisture barrier, insulation and foil, all designed specifically for this application. It is easily self-installed.

It costs me about $125 a month to keep my 40' X 40' garage heated to a constant 65 degrees. While it takes 3-4 hours to bring it up to 65 from stone cold, there is no reason on earth to do that. Once it gets cold, I set it to 65. Once the thermostat is satisfied it shuts off the hot water but the temperature continues to climb, to about 67, and stays there for most of the day. The thermostat may not call again until that night. The slab holds the heat...even when the door going up and down that slab stays warm and continues to warm the objects in the room and the air.

The Hot Dog must cycle constantly, it only warms the air, much of it goes outside when the door opens. It makes noise, dust and uses far more fuel.

I concede that a Hot Dog will warm up a cold garage quickly, but what is the value in sudden temperature changes that generate moisture through condensation? In a house at the NH lakes, Tuftonboro, Wolfeboro, wherever you are up there in that spectacular part of the world in a garage you use infrequently I agree a Hot Dog is probably sufficient.

However, for those in cold climates who spend a lot of time working in a garage and/or who want to control temp and humidity cost effectively and have the most comfortable garage in the world, fit for a king, go radiant.

ps. I don't sell the stuff. I fought with my builder and myself over this. I nearly put a big 'ol Hot Dog in my once in a lifetime garage. After 3 years with my radiant heated epoxy floor garage I have never been happier about an agonizing decision as I am about this, and why I'm vociferous about making sure the claims made about it are accurate.

Dan

Old 04-15-2019, 12:36 PM
halfprice5
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We get a few sub zero days in southern Ohio, I have a small 12k btu cool 13.5k heat it will produce full heat to zero. SEER is 24. They not produce units with 30 SEER

My 12k is hardly a blip on the electric bill and it runs 24/7 to keep the humidity down.
The following users liked this post:
biggd (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 12:58 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,160 Likes on 740 Posts

I did baseboard = it works well and can heat the shop in 2 hours. I keep it at 40 degrees and can warm to 65.

I realized it was ok the second year when I started doing a lot of work in the shop.

The concrete floor stays cold and takes a ling time to get warm. I put in ceiling fans to help heat up the floor.
When you get older standing on a cold floor will give you foot cramps, even though the shop is 65 degrees.

When we did my friends shop we did radiant , in floor heat - PECKS.. It takes a little longer to heat up the shop but the warm floor makes a huge difference. You can work in a cooler temp without feeling the coolness.

We both keep the shops at 40degrees in the winter - it can get to 0 degrees here. I found that 40 degrees stops the paint and other items from getting damaged.

I would definitely recommend in floor heat , PECKS or radiant heat. If done right both (radiant and baseboard) are explosion proof - which is what you want with cars that have gas in them.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:08 PM
halfprice5
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is not the unit I used but is better than mine

https://www.greecomfort.com/our-products/crown-plus-2/ will heat to -22
Old 04-30-2019, 03:30 PM
red67vert
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What about windows? Builder want to make them larger, says it will look better as that wall is exposed to subdivision traffic, I am worried about sun(although will appreciate the light), and security, but want the aesthetics too. Thoughts?......
Again, Thank you for all your expertise!

Last edited by red67vert; 04-30-2019 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:33 PM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by red67vert
What about windows? Builder want to make them larger, says it will look better as that wall is exposed to subdivision traffic, I am worried about sun(although will appreciate the light), and security, but want the aesthetics too. Thoughts?......
I used full-height windows in the garage to match the windows in the house. I used room darkening shades to block UV radiation provide privacy but allow ambient light even with the shades down. Invest in some of those and get the windows. You'll be glad you did.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:38 PM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by halfprice5
This is not the unit I used but is better than mine

https://www.greecomfort.com/our-products/crown-plus-2/ will heat to -22
That's even lower than the Mitsubishi claim of -15. I did the installer locator and there are no installers in the NH area where my home is for that product.

Last edited by biggd; 04-30-2019 at 03:44 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:08 AM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,160 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by dplotkin
I used full-height windows in the garage to match the windows in the house. I used room darkening shades to block UV radiation provide privacy but allow ambient light even with the shades down. Invest in some of those and get the windows. You'll be glad you did.

When I did the build I went with E - glass windows. They reflect the heat but let light in. They are also 1" "air" space with Argon gas. Made a huge difference on the house and shop. You don't feel the hot sun during the summer and in the winter you don't feel the cold like the old double pain windows.

On the house I rebuilt in 1995 - I used a triple Paine E-glass window to cut noise and heat/. The window was a 3/4 opening huge window in a 1929's house. It cut the road noise and almost no heat or cold was transmitted.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:50 AM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,629 Likes on 668 Posts

[QUOTE=red67vert;1599319331]What about windows? Builder want to make them larger,

No windows. The sunlight some times make it hard to work when it shines right in your eyes.
Besides that , wall space is too valuable to waste on windows. You will need shelves
and tool box areas. Not to mention all the things that you hang on the walls to get them off of the floor.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:32 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,052 Likes on 1,935 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Again, Thank you for all your expertise!

Expensive but you may want to consider the windows with the built in shades between the two pieces of glass.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:52 PM
red67vert
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Since we’re on a roll, what about garage door height? 8’, 9’, or 10’? Double wall insulated? Anything better?Thank you!
Old 05-04-2019, 07:17 AM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Since we’re on a roll, what about garage door height? 8’, 9’, or 10’? Double wall insulated? Anything better?Thank you!
This is a no-brainer. Use the highest doors you can but more importantly use a sidewinder door opener so that you don't have a motor unit and trolley hanging from the middle of your ceiling. That is among the best things I ever did in my garage.

Dan

Quick Reply: New Garage build, please advise.