C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

valve covers

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 10:15 AM
lignell
Navigator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default valve covers

i have a 64 corvette 327 300 my valve cover has peeled and I want to repaint it not sure of the color,it looks like an orange color it has a gloss and it needs to be heat resistant thank you
Old 03-13-2019, 10:22 AM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,531 Likes on 2,789 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

VHT SP123 Chevy Orange high temp engine paint. If possible,once you prepare the vc and paint it, cure the covers in an oven before reinstalling them. BTW, in my experience it is not a perfect color match, but so close no one will see any difference.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:02 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Be prepared for the stark contrast of your new painted valve covers against the rest of the supposed unrestored engine compartment. This has led to body off restorations. Don't laugh, it's a fact. Some people call it, "while I'm doing this I might as well do that"! Dennis
Old 03-15-2019, 05:37 PM
Godholio
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Project Creep is insidious.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:58 PM
ghostrider20
Le Mans Master

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

Take th covers to a machine shop and have them bead blasted. The paint will adhere better. If the covers are too shinny and new when done, a rag and some brake cleaner, gently wiped over the surface will age them. Repeat the wiping stock get desired appearance.
Old 06-22-2020, 01:42 AM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 65 Posts

I have a 58 and powder coated my valve covers and they look as good as the day I did them.
I bought myself a labratory oven off craigslist and did my own.

The comment above about oil being an issue is not true...you just have to clean them well. I use Berryman's carb cleaner...works great.
Also, you can get Chevy orange color in powder and it's an excellent match. I also powdered coated the front engine bracket that is between the engine and water pump, oil pan, my original tach drive generator housing before I sent it off to be rebuilt, my transmission housing, fly-wheel cover, wheels, intake manifold. and god knows what else.
The nice thing about powder coating is that it's very durable, cleans easily, impervious to just about anything that gets on it. Cleaning my oil pan is a breeze, a little soap and the grime wipes right off...just like everything else powder coated.

Get notified of new replies

To valve covers

Quick Reply: valve covers