C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Steering Column Measurement Needed Please

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 11:56 PM
Kelley
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 25 Posts
AL Events Coordinator

Default Steering Column Measurement Needed Please

I have a ’66 coupe and would like to ask a couple of you guys with the same year model (who knows, there could be differences between years) to do me a favor and measure the distance along the steering tube between where the tube comes through the dash to the bottom of the turn signal cover as seen in the picture. There is an escutcheon plate around the tube as it comes through the dash so please tell me if you measured from the dash or the escutcheon plate. I am installing EPS and the tube is too long in this area and I want to know what I need before I cut the tube. I did not do this measurement before I disassembled the steering and it’s way too late to put it back in to measure. I am getting 3 1/8” from the dash to the turn signal cover and 2 5/8” from the escutcheon plate to the turn signal. The escutcheon plate is ½” thick. I believe I am 1” too long so you should get somewhere in the area of 2 5/8” or 2 1/8” depending on where you measure from. Thank you in advance for taking the time to do this

Last edited by Kelley; 03-20-2019 at 12:00 AM.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:41 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

You will get different answers as that distance is adjustable to suit different drivers...
Old 03-20-2019, 05:00 AM
USMC 0802
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 959 Likes on 490 Posts
USMC

I have a ‘66 convertible and I measure just over 1.25” from the escutcheon plate.
The following users liked this post:
Kelley (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 08:43 AM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,036 Posts

I think FTF is right, as R66 has 0" of the sleeve exposed to the escutcheon plate.

Now I am going to go nuts trying to figure out how this adjustment works, not that I want to change the location of the steering wheel, but just have to know how it works and if the sleeve is missing on our car.

Ron
Old 03-20-2019, 09:05 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
You will get different answers as that distance is adjustable to suit different drivers...
Correct!
Old 03-20-2019, 09:27 AM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 885 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by R66
I think FTF is right, as R66 has 0" of the sleeve exposed to the escutcheon plate.

Now I am going to go nuts trying to figure out how this adjustment works, not that I want to change the location of the steering wheel, but just have to know how it works and if the sleeve is missing on our car.

Ron
The column jacket tube can be moved by loosening the two U clamps that hold it in place under the instrument panel, and the upper pinch bolt in the rag joint. The entire column can then be moved toward or away from the driver. Then the loose bolts are tightened.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:48 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by R66

Ron
That "sleeve" is the cockpit side of the steering column mast jacket that extends into the engine bay - there is no way its missing:

Old 03-20-2019, 10:36 AM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Ahh, now I understand.

I have lost weight over the winter and no longer need the extra space between the seat and the wheel. I might have to use this new to me knowledge this summer if I find a little adjustment is more comfortable. It appears there may be 5 or 6 inches of adjustment available.

Thank you gentlemen
Old 03-20-2019, 11:17 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by R66
Ahh, now I understand.

I have lost weight over the winter and no longer need the extra space between the seat and the wheel. I might have to use this new to me knowledge this summer if I find a little adjustment is more comfortable. It appears there may be 5 or 6 inches of adjustment available.

Thank you gentlemen
3"-4" most likely.... The adjustment procedure is in the Shop Manual. Fair warning though, the angle of the mast jacket can make the dash escutcheon not fit flush to the dash if you try to go to too far of an extreme with the adjustment... Experiment a bit before you tighten things down and you'll see what I mean...
Old 03-20-2019, 11:50 AM
Avispa
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
3"-4" most likely.... The adjustment procedure is in the Shop Manual. Fair warning though, the angle of the mast jacket can make the dash escutcheon not fit flush to the dash if you try to go to too far of an extreme with the adjustment... Experiment a bit before you tighten things down and you'll see what I mean...
There is a bit of adjustment for that, too, at least on a 65/66. The outer U clamp bracket that bolts to the birdcage under the instrument cluster has an angled surface to mount to the birdcage with two 5/16 coarse thread bolts, and the mount holes are elongated. The column angle can be changed a bit by moving the bracket toward or away from the firewall.

Last edited by Avispa; 03-20-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Frankie the Fink (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 02:44 PM
Kelley
Racer

AL Events Coordinator

Thank you USMC 0802 for taking the measurement. That is about what I expected. You can always depend on the USMC's

Last edited by Kelley; 03-20-2019 at 02:46 PM.
USMC 0802 (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 02:48 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Which is fine if you're built exactly like USMC 0802 and want an identical driving position....
My Marine-like physique left the building about 35 years ago...
Old 03-20-2019, 05:13 PM
Kelley
Racer

AL Events Coordinator

OK, my issue goes far beyond the distance from the steering wheel to the dash. This is difficult to describe so I didn't want to even bring it up but here goes.

I am installing a complete packaged EPS unit from American Powertrain. It comes completely assembled as one replacement unit. The upper most part of the shaft of the one I received was for a 63-64(ish) year model. The top of the steering shaft tube changed somewhere around 65 and I have a 66. I was sent a replacement tube which was fine except it was 0.625" longer than the 63-64 tube. When I brought this to the attention of the manufacturer I was told, "it's fine, don't worry about it." it's now assembled in the car and last night was the big final push to get it finished. When I assembled all of the pieces at the top of the steering shaft to get ready to reinstall the steering wheel the shaft is to short by about an inch (in the picture below you can see the top of the steering shaft is not through the turn signal housing). The only resolution I see is to cut the upper tube by the amount I need to gain to be able to attach the steering wheel. I sent an email to the manufacturer describing the problem and asking for help and I am waiting to here back. In the meantime I was trying to confirm how much longer my tube extends out of the dash than normal. The difference between USMC 0802's 1.25" and my 2.625" confirms my assumption. Yes, I understand (now) that this can be varied to suit the driver (thank you for that information) but I have an entirely different problem here. There is a big electric motor hanging under my dash now and there ain't much adjustment room. The steering shaft is too short for the steering tube it fits inside.

I apologize for the confusing explaination

nation. That's why I wasn't going to bring any of it up

Last edited by Kelley; 03-20-2019 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:24 PM
Avispa
Safety Car

Don't give up yet. The extra column jacket (tube) length you mentioned should still leave plenty of room for the column shaft to pass through the tube sufficicently.

The first thing you need to do is loosen the tube clamps (on the firewall bracket and under the instrument panel) so the tube can move. You also nee to loosen the pinch bolt on the steering box rag joint so you can pull the column shaft toward the back of the car. You will also need to loosen the lower bearing clamp on the columns shaft, just beyond the firewall end of the column tube. The adjustment procedure I gave earlier was assuming the column was fully assembled. It isn't, but that's not a problem. Now with all that stuff loose, pull the column shaft back as far as you can, but with it still engaged in the rag joint. Push the column jacket (tube) in toward the engine. You should have plenty of column shaft sticking up through the tube to mount the steering wheel. Once the wheel is mounted, you can then re-set the lower bearing clamp and spring. Frankie has a good post on how to do that, but as a practical matter, any crush force on the bearing spring is enough to get you started. The column tube will then be properly located relative to the column shaft. THEN, finally you can make the column length adjustment as in my earlier post.

Failing that, take the whole column, tube and shaft, out of the car and assemble it properly before reinstalling it at the length you want.

Last edited by Avispa; 03-20-2019 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:37 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

On the C1 EPS system that I've seen you have to cut the steering shaft to install it - I'm pretty sure...
If you had to do that on your C2 car is there any chance you cut too much ???

I hope not..

2:28 seconds into this video (on a C1):

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 03-20-2019 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:18 PM
Kelley
Racer

AL Events Coordinator

The unit I am installing comes assembled. No cutting, no adjusting. That is what I like about this kit. You cannot slide the column shaft up or down inside the jacket. It is an assembled, sealed unit. This upper tube I keep referring to came is the upper part of the assembly (you can see the original tube on the right hand side in the picture with the nut on the end of the steering shaft) but because I had the wrong year tube I had to disassemble the upper portion and insert the replacement that was sent to me. That is the tube I think is too long. I received some dimensioning information from the manufacturer today and tonight I will dissemble and see if I match that dimension.

I appreciate all of the suggestions but I'm not doing a good job of explaining the problem.

Old 03-25-2019, 03:32 PM
CorvetteMikeB
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 311 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist

I have a question about the C2 steering Column.

Why are the steering columns black in some cars and the color of the seats in other C2 cars?
Old 03-28-2019, 09:13 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvetteMikeB
I have a question about the C2 steering Column.

Why are the steering columns black in some cars and the color of the seats in other C2 cars?
'Cuz Styling wanted the column color to match the interior trim color in '63, and dropped that requirement for '64.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:08 PM
VetteJohn
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Not fully assembled.

You say the unit came fully assembled but that's not true. The bell shaped cover below the steering wheel hub slides over the tube and may not be completely in place. I'm working on a '63 column and was confused with the way things were going together. After some experimenting I found that the cover could go a full 2 or 3 inches lower on the tube then I first thought. Hope this helps.

Get notified of new replies

To Steering Column Measurement Needed Please

Quick Reply: Steering Column Measurement Needed Please