C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Proportioning valve or not

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 01:27 PM
Fatdaddy
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Proportioning valve or not

I’m going to install wilwood disc brakes on the front of my 62. I plan on using a 10 lb residual valve on the rear drum brakes. After reading numerous post I still don’t know if I should use a proportioning valve on the rear or not. Some guys say you do some say no. Maybe I should put one in the line just in case. But I really am curious if you do need one. Does anybody know for sure?
Old 04-14-2019, 01:32 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,333 Posts

Depends on not just your front brake set up but both your front AND your rear brake set up.

So, what are you using for rear brakes?
Old 04-14-2019, 01:33 PM
Fatdaddy
Racer

As posted rear brakes are drum.
Old 04-14-2019, 02:32 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,333 Posts

With using the 10 pound residual valve, I don't know the answer. Why not use a proportioning valve instead to allow adjustment?
Old 04-14-2019, 02:40 PM
Fatdaddy
Racer

A residual valve and a proportioning valve do different things I think.
Old 04-14-2019, 02:47 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,221 Likes on 2,303 Posts

I had to put an adjustable proportioning valve to the rear drum brakes on my 60 with front discs. Single master cylinder system. Rear wheels would lock up long before fronts did anything without it. I tried it with and without residual valve, came out the same. So I took the residual valve out so the front disks wouldn't rub all the time. Everything's okay now, rolls free and the brakes stop equally
Old 04-14-2019, 02:54 PM
Fatdaddy
Racer

Does it make a difference if you use a single m/c or a double m/c ?
Old 04-14-2019, 03:14 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Factory built cars with disc in front and drums in rear used both a proportioning valve and a residual valve.

Larry
Old 04-14-2019, 03:22 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatdaddy
Does it make a difference if you use a single m/c or a double m/c ?
Yes..........many single master cylinders for (all) drum brakes had the residual valve in the mc. If you go to discs in front and drums in rear you do not want this.....as it will cause drag on the new front calipers.

With a dual mc you may be able to get the front reservoir without anything and a rear reservoir with a residual valve. Then you just add a proportioning valve.

If the mc does not have a residual valve you can add it in the line to the rear. I think the combination of a proportioning valve and a residual valve was called a "combination valve"..........although the type valve may also have provision for a brake failure light (if you also wanted that).

Bottom line, make sure you know what you have and what you are ordering.

Larry
Old 04-14-2019, 04:01 PM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Received 137 Likes on 94 Posts

I converted my 64 to front disk brakes, kept the rear drums, converted to dual MC. I have a 10lbs residual valve on the drums (for all I know the valve is simply mandatory). On the front disks, there is a 2lbs valve, that one seems to be optional (according to the vendor of the disk upgrade). I have installed a proportioning valve, and I needed to tune down rear brake force substantially otherwise the rears locked up way earlier than the fronts.

Last edited by alexandervdr; 04-14-2019 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:11 PM
Fatdaddy
Racer

Originally Posted by alexandervdr
I converted my 64 to front disk brakes, kept the rear drums, converted to dual MC. I have a 10lbs residual valve on the drums (for all I know the valve is simply mandatory). On the front disks, there is a 2lbs valve, that one seems to be optional (according to the vendor of the disk upgrade). I have installed a proportioning valve, and I needed to tune down rear brake force substantially otherwise the rears locked up way earlier than the fronts.
this is what I’ll probably do
Old 04-14-2019, 04:37 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,554 Likes on 2,797 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

Residual valves are need for two reasons. One, when the MC reservoir is lower than the calipers/cylinders (think older cars where the MC is under the floor). Then you must have the blue (2lbs) valve for discs and the red (10lbs) valve for drums to prevent the fluid from draining back to the lower MC. Not an issue for our cars.

Two, when using drum brakes with discs. The red valve prevents the drum shoe springs from pushing the cylinders (fluid back to the MC). Nothing is required for the discs. One of the many advantages of discs over drums is the range of brake pedal pressure before the pads lock the disc. This gives you more control and braking finesse. Drums on the other hand provide a more limited range before lock up, but they will lock up before discs. Using a proportioning valve in the rear drum circuit allows you to attenuate rear braking to balance overall braking. Remember, the only thing the p-valve does is reduce pressure to the rear brakes based on the adjustment of the ****.

Long story short, use both!
The following users liked this post:
Todd TCE (04-15-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Proportioning valve or not

Quick Reply: Proportioning valve or not