C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Starter solenoid fusible link blown

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 12:37 PM
67vette123
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter solenoid fusible link blown

While putting in a new battery for 67 327 non Ac vette i tapped the positive and neg ends of the battery with my wrench, connection was a split second so i thought nothing of it. Go to later with battery installed, i flip the battery cutoff switch and instantly the fusible link coming off the neg end of the starter solenoid blew. The wiring diagrams say it is a 16 gage wire so 20 gage fusible link to replace? I am a newbie to all of this and electrical is definitely not my field, is there any way that i shorted something else out and it will reoccur until the short is found or is it possible that replacing the fusible link will be the only step required to fix the problem? Car has absolutely no power to anything and no attempt to crank, no click. Any reply would be fantastic.

Last edited by 67vette123; 04-16-2019 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Add pics
Old 04-16-2019, 12:45 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

The battery cutoff switch was in the OFF position when you touched the two terminals with the wrench?
If so the car should have been isolated from the accidental connection between the posts. That leads me to suspect something else caused the link to blow.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:47 PM
67vette123
Navigator

Originally Posted by MelWff
The battery cutoff switch was in the OFF position when you touched the two terminals with the wrench?
If so the car should have been isolated from the accidental connection between the posts. That leads me to suspect something else caused the link to blow.
wow fast reply, but yes the circuit was open when i tapped the battery, its wierd to me because i would think it would happen before i switched the old battery out for the newand thats the only thing i could think of that would cause it.

Last edited by 67vette123; 04-16-2019 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:49 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

1. Is the battery installed correctly?? For a factory car, the negative cable is brown and the positive cable is black. This is often the reason folks get into trouble. The fact that you blew the fusible link when you closed the cut-off switch points in this direction.

2. You should have two (2) fusible links at the starter solenoid. One is a 16 gage fusible link for the main car wiring , and the second is a 20 gage fusible link for the battery gage in the dash. You need to check each one a replace the one(s) that are bad. You can buy replacement fusible links from most auto parts stores and install them yourself. I like to solder mine in and cover with 2 layers of electrical heat shrink insulation. The best way to do this is to disconnect everything down by the starter (make sure you make notes on where they go to)) and then pull up this harness section to the top of the fender and make your repairs.

Larry

PS: The starter solenoid connection is + (positive) not - (negative) as stated above. This may point to my #1 statement above.

Last edited by Powershift; 04-16-2019 at 12:50 PM.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:55 PM
67vette123
Navigator

Positive to cutoff

From cutoff to solenoid
Im quite sure the battery is installed correctly, its wierd how the positive goes to the battery cutoff then leads to the solenoid and my bad you are right the negative leads off to the same connection that the fusible link blew from, i ran to autozone and they dont carry 20 gage fusible links so ill have to order. I dont have the factory battery cables and both of them are black which is confusing but to clarify i have the positive wired from battery to cutoff, then red wire from there to solenoid, neg cable from battery to wherever this 4 cable harness attaches that includes the blown fusible link.

Last edited by 67vette123; 04-16-2019 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:59 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

Just a side point, I thought battery cutoffs should be wired onto the negative side

Last edited by MelWff; 04-18-2019 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:00 PM
67vette123
Navigator

Originally Posted by MelWff
Just a side point, I though battery cutoffs should be wired onto the negative side
yes ive been browsing the forum and thats what everyone was saying, its always worked before and never caused problems but it is definitely something im going to switch once i get this problem sorted out
Old 04-16-2019, 01:04 PM
67vette123
Navigator

Originally Posted by Powershift
1. Is the battery installed correctly?? For a factory car, the negative cable is brown and the positive cable is black. This is often the reason folks get into trouble. The fact that you blew the fusible link when you closed the cut-off switch points in this direction.

2. You should have two (2) fusible links at the starter solenoid. One is a 16 gage fusible link for the main car wiring , and the second is a 20 gage fusible link for the battery gage in the dash. You need to check each one a replace the one(s) that are bad. You can buy replacement fusible links from most auto parts stores and install them yourself. I like to solder mine in and cover with 2 layers of electrical heat shrink insulation. The best way to do this is to disconnect everything down by the starter (make sure you make notes on where they go to)) and then pull up this harness section to the top of the fender and make your repairs.

Larry

PS: The starter solenoid connection is + (positive) not - (negative) as stated above. This may point to my #1 statement above.
forgot to quote you on my reply, whoops
Old 04-16-2019, 01:08 PM
Powershift
Race Director

MY earlier statement about the fusible links was incorrect. The one for the main harness is a 14 gage fusible link and is colored brown. That is the one I said earlier was 16 gage.

The second fusible link is 20 gage and is colored orange. This was correct stated by me earlier.

Both fusible links come off the same terminal connection. You will likely not be able to get the same colors for the new/replacement fusible links. That does not matter........just get the correct size.

Sorry for any confusion.........I was going from memory without checking the factory manuals, and got it wrong.

Larry
Old 04-16-2019, 01:15 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

You can pickup links at any NAPA auto store. As Larry said, pick up some shrink tubing while you are there. Jerry
Old 04-16-2019, 01:22 PM
67vette123
Navigator

MY earlier statement about the fusible links was incorrect. The one for the main harness is a 14 gage fusible link and is colored brown. That is the one I said earlier was 16 gage.

The second fusible link is 20 gage and is colored orange. This was correct stated by me earlier.

Both fusible links come off the same terminal connection. You will likely not be able to get the same colors for the new/replacement fusible links. That does not matter........just get the correct size.

Sorry for any confusion.........I was going from memory without checking the factory manuals, and got it wrong.

Larry
awesome, i really appreciate the speedy and helpful advice!! Hopefully just a few hours(many many hours) of work and she’ll be good to go again!! Thats what i said last time though, famous last words.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:38 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Just to double-check, you understood that the black wire from the battery to the starter is the positive wire correct? The ground or negative is brown. It is rare that a black wire is positive but it is in this case..
Old 04-16-2019, 01:58 PM
67vette123
Navigator

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Just to double-check, you understood that the black wire from the battery to the starter is the positive wire correct? The ground or negative is brown. It is rare that a black wire is positive but it is in this case..
i was just looking at that as i saw this, i think i may have made a bonehead move here, i saw the red wire on the battery cutoff which leads to ground on the motor and connected the positive to it which means i put the negative on my starter and therein lies my fault. The question now is what else might be damamged other than the fusible link blown?
Old 04-16-2019, 03:09 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Best you can do is take one step at a time. Fix the fusible links and also check all your fuses. If nothing else shows up, then make sure of your connections and try it again. Then go from there.

Larry

PS: My guess is that you will be okay after fixing the fusible links.........since I don't think you turned the ignition key, and fuses should protect most other things. Alternator may be an issue, but maybe not.......these old cars are a bit forgiving. New ones, not so much.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:58 PM
67vette123
Navigator

Best you can do is take one step at a time. Fix the fusible links and also check all your fuses. If nothing else shows up, then make sure of your connections and try it again. Then go from there.

Larry

PS: My guess is that you will be okay after fixing the fusible links.........since I don't think you turned the ignition key, and fuses should protect most other things. Alternator may be an issue, but maybe not.......these old cars are a bit forgiving. New ones, not so much.
correct i did not turn the ignition key, and all the fuses are fine. Lets hope shes forgiving!! Im in the proccess of fixing the fisible links and will post on what the end result is!
Old 04-16-2019, 06:02 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Here is a simple solution! Chevy design be damed. Get new cables. RED for positive, BLACK for negative. Chevy probably tried to save a .02 cents with black and brown. Dennis
Old 04-16-2019, 07:57 PM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,036 Posts

If you don't have one, invest in a multimeter (e.g., volt meter, ohm meter, etc.) for > $10 at Harbor Freight and check the resistance to ground of the wires (POS of battery disconnected and one end of the wires disconnected). With the key off, you should get infinite resistance on the wires.
If the wire is shorted to ground or the solenoid is shorted, you will just burn another fusible link when you power everything up without finding the real problem. The short could be in the charging system or a simple wire against the exhaust manifold.

Ron
Old 04-18-2019, 10:10 AM
67vette123
Navigator

Larry

fusible links replaced, started right up and all electrics are workin perfect!! She was very forgiving in this case atleast im sure im never going to make THAT mistake again
Old 04-18-2019, 11:25 AM
Powershift
Race Director

Glad you got it fixed. I am confident that you will not repeat this lesson in the future.

We all learn when working on these old cars............I know I certainly do.

Larry

Get notified of new replies

To Starter solenoid fusible link blown

Quick Reply: Starter solenoid fusible link blown