C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

A26 engine start up this Sat (hopefully)

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 10:31 PM
Lotsacubes
Melting Slicks

Received 931 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
We first tried to turn the engine with the starter and the starter kicked out because of a hydrolock (that is a design of the starter). We tried it twice, no go. Thus, we dropped the lower cowl, pulled 1 plug from the lower 3 cylinders on each row and spun the engine with the starter (notice the puddle of oil on the ramp below the engine).
Our engines are essentially brand new (ALLLLLLLLLLLL 18 cylinders on each engine are brand new NOS out of the box) and the rings have not fully seated on some cylinders, which like any new engine, will occur in time.
Figured P&W did some thing. I’ve heard of drain kits for the lower jugs on some. But probably many 2800 aircraft it’s hard to reach the prop. My aircraft has the baby brother to the mighty 2800.... R-985 Wasp Jr. We try to spin with hydro and pop a jug or bend a rod. Love following Tom. Please keep us informed. Cheers
Old 05-01-2019, 11:22 PM
K2
Melting Slicks

Received 130 Likes on 63 Posts

Tom;
Thought of you and your project when I inspected this one tucked away in the old Tillamook Air Museum Blimp Hanger last fall. It will be great to see your old bird flying again. You guys are doing a magnificent job!! Please keep us updated on the progress..

Old 05-02-2019, 10:31 PM
Ol Blue
Burning Brakes

Received 726 Likes on 271 Posts

Default Allison 1710 V12 engine for sale, $12,500

I know not Corvette related but how can one resist wanting one of these.
Gary

Kristin Hewlett Frost, Indianapolis has this listed on Facebook Marketplace
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...essenger_share

This is a right hand engine out of a 1942 P-38 Lightning. The photo is a STOCK photo...this engine will need to be re-built.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:24 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,790 Likes on 1,687 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Ol Blue
I know not Corvette related but how can one resist wanting one of these.
Gary
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And neither is our A26 restoration project.
And again, I'm absolutely amazed that SUDDENLY people here are interested in it, especially after I have mentioned it several times over the years. I don't get it.

By the way, another piece of historical machinery is now back in full operation. The Union Pacific Big Boy, which they pulled out of the Los Angeles railroad museum several years ago is now under full steam. I FULLY agree that these are obsolete relics, but it is great that some are finally being saved and brought back to life.

And speaking of relics, does anyone here know how to use one of these? My 16yr old granddaughter was totally baffled.

Or how about one of these to change your own tires, or fix a flat? TOOOOOOOOOOOOO MANY basic skills have been lost or forgotten.

Anyone know how to use one of these to dial in your dinosaur age Corvette?

Last edited by DZAUTO; 05-03-2019 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:59 AM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 555 Likes on 320 Posts

I'm another whose been interested in the A26 project. Planes, trains, and automobiles.........always great to see these icons of history come back to life.
Tom, thanks for your efforts in posting updates and videos on the A26.

Phone booth? .. How common they were back in the day. I know of only ONE full stand up working green phone booth in the area. It's worth a drive by just to see it!

John
Old 05-03-2019, 02:10 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by mrg
I'm another whose been interested in the A26 project. Planes, trains, and automobiles.........always great to see these icons of history come back to life.
Tom, thanks for your efforts in posting updates and videos on the A26.

Phone booth? .. How common they were back in the day. I know of only ONE full stand up working green phone booth in the area. It's worth a drive by just to see it!

John
ALL 21 of the old phones in our house work. BUT, unfortunately, 2-3yrs ago, the phone company changed their system to some kind of new digital/electronic system, and I can no longer dial on any of the rotary dial phones. Although they work just as an extension.
A few months ago, I saw a telephone adapter on Ebay that can be attached to the telephone cord which will permit rotary dial phones to function with the modern telephone systems------------------------but each adapter is over $50ea!!!!
By the way, when someone calls our house, the pay phone sounds like a fire alarm.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:38 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,977 Likes on 1,203 Posts

Many of us have followed your A-26 post for years, enjoyed them,and posted favorable comments..
Keep up the good work!
The following users liked this post:
Lotsacubes (05-03-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 09:57 PM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 821 Likes on 563 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I been following you A-26 build for years ,be great to see it finally take off. Also you got a newer version of the Sun Scope than what I used to use in school, loved that machine. I finally sold my tire changer(shoulda kept it). Yep I remember party lines too.
Old 05-05-2019, 03:18 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,861 Likes on 1,104 Posts

Originally Posted by DZAUTO

And speaking of relics, does anyone here know how to use one of these? My 16yr old granddaughter was totally baffled.

If you're referring to the old wall phone to the right of the phone booth, we had the full-size tall version of that (with the hand crank to summon "Julia") to make a call; that was in our Mullett Lake, Michigan summer cottage in the late 40's-early 50's; we were in the Cheboygan exchange, and our phone number (party line) was 329J. "Julia" retired about the time the revolutionary new "dial phone" appeared.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:20 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by JohnZ
If you're referring to the old wall phone to the right of the phone booth, we had the full-size tall version of that (with the hand crank to summon "Julia") to make a call; that was in our Mullett Lake, Michigan summer cottage in the late 40's-early 50's; we were in the Cheboygan exchange, and our phone number (party line) was 329J. "Julia" retired about the time the revolutionary new "dial phone" appeared.
John,
This one came from my step-grandparents (if that is a real word) home. It was out in their dilapidated garage, awaiting its turn to be tossed. It now works like brand new.
It is inside the entry hall to out home. I have a 4prong connector on it, to plug into a 4prong telephone outlet just below the phone. But we keep it unplugged.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:54 PM
Early66L72
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

amazing. old things still work.. try and get the NEW stuff to last that long..
Old 05-06-2019, 03:09 AM
roadster65
Burning Brakes

Received 1,273 Likes on 528 Posts

Nice project Tom, pleasing to see an ol' Warbird being resurrected. Mentor of mine flew Spitfires in period, then went on the design and build race cars, winning the F1 Championship four times and the Indy 500 twice, and a plethora of other International motor racing Championships around the world. - GV
Old 05-06-2019, 03:16 AM
vetteman64
Racer

Received 233 Likes on 64 Posts

Love radial engine aircraft, especially the P's and B's of the WWII era. My favorite is the P-61 Black Widow. If you were near I would volunteer and do whatever I can. Besides a love of muscle cars and road racers, I was in the Navy Ground Support Equipment field, aircraft carriers and Naval Air Stations.
I keep marking my calendar for the Planes of Fame event at Chino CA, which has plenty of aircraft over 2 days (missed it again just this weekend). Every year a B-17, B-24 and P-51 come to airfields in the SF Bay Area. Would like to see more variety. Pacific Coast Dream Machines event at Half Moon Bay has more if the weather is good.
C Ya, Joseph Rock
Frankenstein 59

Quick Reply: A26 engine start up this Sat (hopefully)