C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1963 Convertible Top Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 06:08 PM
Andy1963
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1963 Convertible Top Install

Searched here and Google:

I've gotten rid of the rust, refinished the frame, installed new pads and have made it as far as getting top attached to the rear bow using Rowleys write up. Need some more detailed information attaching to the front bow........any one got any good pics or how they accomplished this?

Also in Rowley's how-to the "wire on molding", there is a little info but not much....any one have any detail here? The top came with the car but not the wire on molding, any idea where it can be purchased? Is it available?

Any help appreciated, thanks in advance
Old 05-04-2019, 03:01 PM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

As far as attaching to the front header bow: Center the top making sure each side of the canvas covers the frame by the same amount. Pull the fabric over the header with some force then trace the front edge of the header all the way across with a pencil. After this is done make a 3/8 " line and parallel to it towards the back of the car. This is your stretch line. Unlatch the top, put the deck lid up, put a pad on the edge and rest the top against it. Pull the top to the stretch line, staple each corner then go the the center and finish stapling. Don't worry about trimming the excess canvas yet. Put the top up by hooking the front latches but not engaging them yet. Latch the rear all the way down then close the front latches the rest of the way. Check the upper vertical rails at the top of the window to see if the canvas is pulled all the way to the edge of the frame. If it isn't pulled to the edge measure the amount you need to get it there then remove the staples in the front corner and pull the fabric over the header by the amount you measured. You may have to remove staples 8" or so to get a clean stretch.
You can buy the front windless at Al Knoch. What color is it? I may have an extra one.
I am currently doing an install on a 66 which is the same procedure.
I do a lot of these tops. If you need further assistance feel free to PM me.

Larry

Last edited by woodsdesign; 05-04-2019 at 03:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Andy1963 (05-05-2019)

Quick Reply: 1963 Convertible Top Install