C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

67 Stinger Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 08:36 PM
ClothSeats
Drifting

Received 800 Likes on 518 Posts
Default 67 Stinger Question

Here is a question that I have wondered about over the years. Maybe there are some here who were fortunate enough to have ordered a new big block 67 Corvette, and you may have direct insight into my question. Here goes: The stinger is accented in a contrasting color relative to the body color. Was the buyer able to specify the stinger color at the time of placing the order, or was that color determined by the factory based on exterior and interior colors without input from the buyer?
Old 05-04-2019, 09:02 PM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 374 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by ClothSeats
Here is a question that I have wondered about over the years. Maybe there are some here who were fortunate enough to have ordered a new big block 67 Corvette, and you may have direct insight into my question. Here goes: The stinger is accented in a contrasting color relative to the body color. Was the buyer able to specify the stinger color at the time of placing the order, or was that color determined by the factory based on exterior and interior colors without input from the buyer?
Stinger color was determined by the exterior/interior combination.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:24 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,335 Posts

There's a list of the stinger paint color combinations thread around here on the forum somewhere. Do a simple search, it should pop right up.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:42 PM
Hounddogjake
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This is correct, I ordered a 435 HP and specified I wanted a white Stinger with the black interior and black top. The car came thru with the black stinger and the dealership repainted it white for me to accept.
i
The following 2 users liked this post by Hounddogjake:
bowtie racing (05-06-2019), ClothSeats (05-04-2019)
Old 05-05-2019, 06:02 AM
roadster65
Burning Brakes

Received 1,273 Likes on 528 Posts

The 1967 Big Block Hood also received a set of paint stripes that either contrasted or complimented the exterior finish, depending on the interior trim. For example, a black Sting Ray with a black or red interior received red striping, while a black car with saddle or green appointments inside were adorned with a white scoop. In addition to the red and white stripes, hood scoops were also painted black, dark teal blue, or medium light blue. Thanks to problems perfecting the painting process, some early 1967 427 Corvettes were delivered with no stripes at all. - GV
Old 05-05-2019, 07:40 AM
Blue Ridge 67
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

I ordered a new car in 67.The body was silver, the interior was blue and I ordered the stinger to match the interior which was blue
Old 05-05-2019, 08:31 AM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,310 Posts

Originally Posted by roadster65
The 1967 Big Block Hood also received a set of paint stripes that either contrasted or complimented the exterior finish, depending on the interior trim. For example, a black Sting Ray with a black or red interior received red striping, while a black car with saddle or green appointments inside were adorned with a white scoop. In addition to the red and white stripes, hood scoops were also painted black, dark teal blue, or medium light blue. Thanks to problems perfecting the painting process, some early 1967 427 Corvettes were delivered with no stripes at all. - GV

Can you provide evidence of this or a reference to who made this statement?? I am not certain that any 67 BB cars arrived at the dealer without hood stripes.

AOS did have issues painting the stripes on the hood, but that was corrected at St Louis assembly.

Larry
The following users liked this post:
corvettekent (05-05-2019)
Old 05-05-2019, 09:45 AM
KingRat
Drifting

Received 890 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Powershift

Can you provide evidence of this or a reference to who made this statement?? I am not certain that any 67 BB cars arrived at the dealer without hood stripes.

AOS did have issues painting the stripes on the hood, but that was corrected at St Louis assembly.

Larry
I heard that there were some very early production 427 cars built at AO Smith but vast majority were St. Louis.

Last edited by KingRat; 05-05-2019 at 09:50 AM.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:54 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Larry
Originally Posted by KingRat
I heard that there were some very early production 427 cars built at AO Smith but vast majority were St. Louis.
The rumor of AOS having ever installed big block hoods in 1967 has been refuted by known reputable authority. Didn't happen. Do a search here and you can find the trail.

Regarding stringer colors, response #18 to the following thread provides the factory table of colors: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...er-colors.html
Old 05-05-2019, 10:02 AM
KingRat
Drifting

Received 890 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
The rumor of AOS having ever installed big block hoods in 1967 has been refuted by known reputable authority. Didn't happen. Do a search here and you can find the trail.

Regarding stringer colors, response #18 to the following thread provides the factory table of colors: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...er-colors.html
Yep, I agree with you. I have always heard that the '67 427 cars were all made in St. Louis. However, over the years I have heard plenty of stories that seem credible. There is a white 427 coupe that was delivered to England that supposedly was built without the contrasting hood stripe. I remember the story and the pictures, I just cannot find it right now.

Also: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2015/07/...rrett-jackson/
Old 05-05-2019, 10:07 AM
Powershift
Race Director

Originally Posted by KingRat
That is correct. I was only mentioning AOS in my reply to state that YES there were hood striping issues for 1967, but none to my knowledge made it out the door at St Louis to the dealers.

Since AOS could not paint the 67 stripes correctly, they were not allowed to do the BB cars for the remainder of the year.

Roy Sinor verified that there was at least one AOS body BB 67 car that was sold to the public. The hood was likely redone by/at St Louis body plant. I believe there were a few more than one BB from AOS for 1967,but there were not a lot.

But my reply was specifically asking "roadster65" for his source of information regarding BB cars with no hood stripes going to the dealers.

Larry
Old 05-05-2019, 10:28 AM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 309 Likes on 223 Posts

That is correct. I was only mentioning AOS in my reply to state that YES there were hood striping issues for 1967, but none to my knowledge made it out the door at St Louis to the dealers.

Since AOS could not paint the 67 stripes correctly, they were not allowed to do the BB cars for the remainder of the year.

Roy Sinor verified that there was at least one AOS body BB 67 car that was sold to the public. The hood was likely redone by/at St Louis body plant. I believe there were a few more than one BB from AOS for 1967,but there were not a lot.

But my reply was specifically asking "roadster65" for his source of information regarding BB cars with no hood stripes going to the dealers.

Larry
And the myth go's on. probably also have SE also.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:47 AM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 271 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1590248349
Old 05-05-2019, 10:54 AM
bb62
Safety Car

Larry
While the Noland Adams book is not authoritative on everything concerning big block hoods (re: the debunked story of small block Corvettes getting big block hoods), Noland does state the following in his "Complete Corvette Restoration and Technical Guide - Vol. 2 - 1963 through 1967":

"The hood painting procedure was not perfected by the beginning of production, so hood stripes were not painted on early big-block hoods."

"Most hoods on 1967 Corvettes with 427 engines with serial number under 101000 (1,000) did not have hood stripes or 427 emblems."

As to whether this represents what happened at St. Louis, I do not know. Perhaps John Hinkley could chime in here and give us the definitive answer.
Old 05-05-2019, 03:00 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Originally Posted by bb62
While the Noland Adams book is not authoritative on everything concerning big block hoods (re: the debunked story of small block Corvettes getting big block hoods), Noland does state the following in his "Complete Corvette Restoration and Technical Guide - Vol. 2 - 1963 through 1967":

"The hood painting procedure was not perfected by the beginning of production, so hood stripes were not painted on early big-block hoods."

"Most hoods on 1967 Corvettes with 427 engines with serial number under 101000 (1,000) did not have hood stripes or 427 emblems."

As to whether this represents what happened at St. Louis, I do not know. Perhaps John Hinkley could chime in here and give us the definitive answer.
NCRS is also not always right..............but there is no mention in any 1967 Judging Manual I read/studied that early 1967 BB cars had no hood stripes or emblems. I have been judging them for 30 years now.

Larry
Old 05-05-2019, 03:11 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 7,105 Likes on 4,880 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

NCRS is also not always right..............but there is no mention in any 1967 Judging Manual I read/studied that early 1967 BB cars had no hood stripes or emblems. I have been judging them for 30 years now.

Larry
and the when the market was high on 67 cars you would think a first week production car would come out. I don't recall one ever coming out.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:39 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,861 Likes on 1,104 Posts

Originally Posted by bb62

While Noland was an excellent researcher with outstanding access to Chevrolet documents, he was never physically at the St. Louis plant until well after his Volume II ('63-'67) book was published. Refinishing 1967 427 hood stinger striping as an on-car repair became a huge impediment to production scheduling both at St. Louis and at A.O. Smith, and the only solution was to stop allocating 427 car orders to A.O. Smith for the rest of the year and re-shipping scheduled but unused 427 material from Ionia to St. Louis. Based on my conversations with the St. Louis folks when I worked there in 1967, no 427 cars left St. Louis with unpainted stingers.
The following users liked this post:
bowtie racing (05-06-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To 67 Stinger Question

Old 05-05-2019, 08:46 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Thank you John for your rely.

Larry
Old 05-05-2019, 10:50 PM
bb62
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JohnZ
While Noland was an excellent researcher with outstanding access to Chevrolet documents, he was never physically at the St. Louis plant until well after his Volume II ('63-'67) book was published. Refinishing 1967 427 hood stinger striping as an on-car repair became a huge impediment to production scheduling both at St. Louis and at A.O. Smith, and the only solution was to stop allocating 427 car orders to A.O. Smith for the rest of the year and re-shipping scheduled but unused 427 material from Ionia to St. Louis. Based on my conversations with the St. Louis folks when I worked there in 1967, no 427 cars left St. Louis with unpainted stingers.
Thanks John!
Old 05-06-2019, 03:46 AM
roadster65
Burning Brakes

Received 1,273 Likes on 528 Posts

Gents - apologies, I should've referenced the source,

Classic Corvette The First Thirty Years by Mike Mueller - Chapter 7, Unintended Encore, p237.

In this chapter, it also states - Not all big-block hoods hid big-block 427's in 1967, however, since a mishap involving molds for the flat small-block hood left St Louis plant officials no choice but to assemble 327 Sting Rays with 427 hoods for a few days in late February or early March.

Dealers undoubtedly made the same swap themselves in response to customer requests, a swap the St Louis Plant wouldn't make under normal circumstances - GV

Last edited by roadster65; 05-06-2019 at 04:00 AM.

Quick Reply: 67 Stinger Question