C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

4L60E Trans Electronics Question (Trans Experts)

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 09:24 AM
1rad55
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts
Default 4L60E Trans Electronics Question (Trans Experts)

I sourced a 2012 Silverado(Gen 4) 5.3 engine with 43K miles for my 62 Vette project. I have a rebuilt 4L60E rebuilt trans (2004 Siverado) that I would like to use. My question.... is there a electronics upgrade available that will match up with the 2012 ECM? Thanks in advance for your input concerning my question!
Old 05-09-2019, 12:23 PM
SledgeHammer 2.0
Drifting

Received 261 Likes on 151 Posts

Good question, the 2012 should have had a 6L90 0r 80, but whoever builds your harness should be able to add the appropriate wire connector for the 4L60E, What control system are you going to use?
Old 05-11-2019, 09:02 PM
CorvetteMikeB
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 311 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist

Originally Posted by SledgeHammer 2.0
Good question, the 2012 should have had a 6L90 0r 80, but whoever builds your harness should be able to add the appropriate wire connector for the 4L60E, What control system are you going to use?

If you are looking for a good control system for the 4L60E automatic transmission try "Holley". The same control system will also run the EFI fuel injector if you go this route.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:07 AM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by 1rad55
I sourced a 2012 Silverado(Gen 4) 5.3 engine with 43K miles for my 62 Vette project. I have a rebuilt 4L60E rebuilt trans (2004 Siverado) that I would like to use. My question.... is there a electronics upgrade available that will match up with the 2012 ECM? Thanks in advance for your input concerning my question!
I think you might want to pose that question over on LS1Tech website in Auto tran forum section.

That engine I believe is a 58 reluctor one, and had 4/8 cylinder firing, running on 4 cyl's light load / 8 under heavy load/acceleration.
If I remember correctly, 4L60's electronic/wire harness plug in trans needs to be modified to 4L65 one. Been 9 years since I had to look into this, and that was with LS3 58 reluctor engine.

My guess is if the plug in trans does not have the 2 pins circled in red in it, it want work with the engines electronics, might not be able to convert plug.

Might call RPM transmissions an ask them about subject. Also may need to have company like Speartech make you a engine/transmission wire harness for conversion.

Old 05-12-2019, 08:54 AM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,067 Posts

You didn't ask but I'll add this. I'm fairly sure Poorhousenext is correct about the DOD, displacement on demand. That would be the first thing I would get rid of. The first issue is they control dropping cylinders with solenoids in the oil system that turn the affected lifters into hydraulic sponges. They bleed off the oil pressure to these lifters. I have seen many fail. Second under the oil pressure sending unit is a fine screen that filters the oil again before it enters the lifters. I have seen this clogged many times as well. And lastly if it has variable cam timing which it should, the cam timing is controlled by a phaser mounted to the cam where the timing gear is. It is fed from an oil gallery from the second cam bearing. The hole feeding this is quite large leaving very little contact area for the cam journal. My daughters and others failed at this cam bearing. I deleted hers. Many places sell delete kits for both of these or you can just buy the correct parts like I did and do away with that garbage. I'm not ready to undertake you transmission question so I don't have any input on it other than I will be going the same route, 58 tooth reluctor 4L60E.
Old 05-12-2019, 01:10 PM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

Well, Robert's post, and re-reading another one about Holly's trans controller, which along with TCI an maybe others out there too, do make stand-along transmission controller for electronic control transmissions now, where back 10 years ago or so their controllers needed to communicate with engine's controller/computer.

To do this, trans had to supply same electronic info to that standalone controller as it does to engine's computer to command shifts.

Where back 10 yrs ago, TCI's 6X 6 speed transmission controller supplied harness had 9 or more pin to pin to connections required to make it shift. Where now the controller doesn't need all those. Well it still may, depending on year model of transmission. The reason I say this is based on on below info about GM's transmission usage with it.

EZ-TCU™ GM Overdrive Transmission Controller; 4L60E, 4L65E, 4L80E & 4L85E; Up to '09

https://www.tciauto.com/ez-tcu-gm-4l...ontroller.html

I believe 09 is the year GM went from a 24 to 58 reluctor timing control.

Now,

B&M on the other hand says theirs will work with 1993 & up ones. Take a look at it's wire harness.

ShiftPlus 2 Electronic Overdrive Transmission Controller
  • 1993-Up GM 4L60E, 4L65E, 4L70E, 4L80E and 4L85E
https://www.jegs.com/i/B%26M/130/120...r%20Categories

In your case, it's best not to rely on us, you need to do the research on this with companies that make stand along transmission controllers along with performance Transmission builders, as they know what will work stock with their controller, an performance transmission know what if anything they can or can't do internal wise so trans you want to use will work with the engine year and model electronic needs wise to work properly, as no builder wants one of their transmission being bad mouthed on a forum due to customer not knowing the requirements required to make a piece-milled engine/trans combination work together.

I'm not saying you would, just seen to many young ones do that, because they did not do their research.
The following users liked this post:
mike coletta (05-26-2019)
Old 05-26-2019, 01:45 AM
Robert61
Safety Car

This is one of many I'm looking at.

https://www.psiconversion.com/produc.../KIT-1038.html

I went back and reread the OP. Since you already have the ecm many companies make the plug and play controller, TCI or GM for example. The GM seems to be a good bit more expensive.

Last edited by Robert61; 05-26-2019 at 09:31 AM.
Blown62 (06-21-2019)
Old 05-26-2019, 09:17 AM
Tevroc98
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 75 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Contact SpearTech they are great to deal with on issues like that.
Old 05-26-2019, 12:57 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

It just seems so backwards to buy major parts like engine and transmission before considering if you can make them work together in different car than removed from. I mean you should be not only a more than average mechanic but have accurate wiring skills. Like if you knew what you were doing you wouldn't be asking. It's going to take cutting and welding just to start with.

I'm sure I read like I'm very patronizing but the truth is you are headed for a project that will take years w/o having any experience. Or you may never complete it. My advice is to contact a local shop that specializes in EFI swaps and work with them as many large cities have shops like that but to varying levels of skill themselves.
mike coletta (05-26-2019)
Old 05-26-2019, 05:02 PM
Low Rider
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

I recently put a 4L 60e in a Chrysler with a Mopar 440 motor. Used a stand alone TCI controller and throttle position sensor and it works flawlessly. The stand alone also give you programable options for shift points etc. The 4l 60e is a good trans that update and should be a great choice for your build.
keep in mind that Hot Rodders have been putting stuff that doesn’t belong in cars that they shouldn’t for years. Good luck with your build.

Last edited by Low Rider; 05-27-2019 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Added content
Old 05-30-2019, 12:54 PM
CorvetteMikeB
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 311 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist

Originally Posted by Low Rider
I recently put a 4L 60e in a Chrysler with a Mopar 440 motor. Used a stand alone TCI controller and throttle position sensor and it works flawlessly. The stand alone also give you programable options for shift points etc. The 4l 60e is a good trans that update and should be a great choice for your build.
keep in mind that Hot Rodders have been putting stuff that doesn’t belong in cars that they shouldn’t for years. Good luck with your build.

Old 05-30-2019, 02:01 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,531 Likes on 2,789 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

You’ve gotten the best advice a couple of times in this thread - call Speartech. I put 6.2L LS and 6L80 from a 2012 Camaro in my 1988 Defender. Speartech built the harness and reprogrammed the oem ECU to get rid of DOD and some other features. They will know if it can be done or not. Good luck!
Old 05-30-2019, 06:02 PM
Robert61
Safety Car

Originally Posted by cardo0
It just seems so backwards to buy major parts like engine and transmission before considering if you can make them work together in different car than removed from. I mean you should be not only a more than average mechanic but have accurate wiring skills. Like if you knew what you were doing you wouldn't be asking. It's going to take cutting and welding just to start with.

Windshield wipers will work on a Billy's goats a$$ if you hook 'em up right.

To the OP! You need to know how many pins are in your plug on your transmission. They made 3, one with 13 pins, 15, and 17. Any of which I believe can be used but the 15 and 17 are better. Mine happens to be a 15, I'll be using a T38 ecm along with a T42 tcm. The tcm stands for transmission control module. There are other ways as well.
Old 05-31-2019, 03:49 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

LS swaps are the thing and increasingly popular. Yes it can be done. But it takes more than a little effort. And the OP hasn't responded to his own thread so I have to question his enthusiasm. Swapping in a stock computer gonna take some amount of homework instead of someone that is expecting plug and play. My 2 cents would be a stand alone aftermarket computer to limit sensors and controls to only what's needed. I know GM Performance sells stand alone transmission controllers and may even have a stand-alone computer just for LS swaps.

Problem with the stock computers (I really don't like calling them ECM's when they are actually a PCM if controlling the transmission also) is unless you can dummy the unused sensor inputs it throws a DTC hard code (even though there's no display) and many times shifts into limp home mode. You have to do a whole lot of scanning to see this. I hope the OP sees wiring the transmission connection is one tiny step in a conversion like this. Enough for now. No reason to spill my guts w/o more participation.
Blown62 (06-21-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To 4L60E Trans Electronics Question (Trans Experts)

Quick Reply: 4L60E Trans Electronics Question (Trans Experts)