C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Scottsdale

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 06:58 PM
Larry P
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Scottsdale

We are are considering a group visit to Barret-Jackson in January. Suggestions appreciated.
I may be a buyer early for low end stuff, some of us may go for more high end. Most probably we
will be there to observe. I would like recommendations from you guys that have been there.
Larry
Old 08-02-2019, 07:42 PM
jrm5657
Melting Slicks

Received 686 Likes on 383 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Larry,
Barrett is the main event and is quite a circus, oh yeah, there is an auction going on there too. Don't forget about the other auctions in town that week, there are 8 total now I think with the addition of Leake/Richie Brothers who are moving into the previous Russo & Steele site at Salt River Fields. I like the smaller venues including Bonhams, Worldwide, and RM, all will have some very unique cars and are more traditional auctions without all of the jabbering and hype, the cars stand on their own.

Better get hotels booked now, Scottsdale has a lot of great places to eat and hang out. Also hit the Pavillions on Saturday afternoon/evening, every cool car in the valley that is for sale will be there, along with Phil's Filling Station for lunch on Sunday in Fountain Hills which is my personal favorite.
Feel free to contact me, I bought the old 66 coupe in the storage unit a few years ago that you facilitated!!
Jim
Old 08-02-2019, 08:08 PM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Received 479 Likes on 336 Posts

If you’ve never been it’s worth going. If you want great seats, you need to pay to bid. It’s $400-500 per couple which includes two drink cards good for 10/day for each of you. What’s nice about paying to bid is you get to hang out in the staging area which is fun. The other nice thing is you get to park at the auction. Otherwise you are on a bus to an off site parking lot.

Even if you don’t pay to bid, it’s awesome to just walk around the tents looking at the cars. That was my favorite thing to do.

You should not have trouble finding rooms as Scottsdale and a Phoenix have plenty of hotels.

Best days are friday and saturday as they they roll out the high dollar cars.

I was most most amazed by how fast the cars seem to move in person vs on TV. I was worried about being bored unable to fast forward. It never happened. I loved the entire event. I didn’t buy any cars as most went for more than they should have... maybe the 10 drinks per day had something to do with that.

Ed

Last edited by emdoller; 08-02-2019 at 08:09 PM.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:44 PM
Larry P
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks for the info! Like to know the status of the 66. Pictures, my friends son would love to see.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:56 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,358 Likes on 2,786 Posts

I bought a car there last January. I was very happy with using Reliable Carriers to move it.

There’s some good buys early in the week. I bought a car very early on Fri AM that worked out.

Remember to have your potential insurance in place if you are using on site financing. They will require a binder. It’s an option if you don’t want to bring a big deposit. Sometimes a bank isn’t thrilled about providing a letter of credit.

You will love it. I love Barrett at Scottsdale.
Old 08-03-2019, 01:15 AM
tomy62
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I am fortunate to live in Scottsdale half the year. Always there during auction week. Go to BJ most every year. A zoo for certain. Their marketing is second to none. Just do your own research on any car that strikes your fancy. That is difficult to do because there are so many cars and time is short as are other resources. Don’t assume anything. The only auctions that can provide serious background on the cars they sell are the higher end ones like Gooding and a couple others. If you can’t get to all the actual auctions, it is worth it just to look on the preview days.
Keith Martin who publishes Sports Car Market and American Car Collector also does a special booklet on Scottsdale every year that is good to have.
I love AZ! Enjoy the week!
Old 08-03-2019, 07:01 AM
jrm5657
Melting Slicks

Received 686 Likes on 383 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Larry P
Thanks for the info! Like to know the status of the 66. Pictures, my friends son would love to see.
It is in body shop purgatory, waiting on paint. My buddy Tim that helped me load it up is doing the restoration. No big hurry, it has been sitting for 20+ years, whats another 5.

Get notified of new replies

To Scottsdale

Quick Reply: Scottsdale