C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Carlisle 2019

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 07:29 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 7,027 Likes on 4,830 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

i
Old 08-25-2019, 07:46 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,656 Posts

Originally Posted by vettebuyer6369
So now the question goes to you... what do you think now that you’ve seen it up close?

I was happy to get a long close look in Monterey last week so I didn’t have to deal with the crowd looking at the C8 in Carlisle.
I was at the display early before the crowds got ridiculous so I did get to "see" the car. 1st I like it....a lot.
Observations it's a monster to work on. I hope the quality control is exceptional.
Personal disappointments....the hood is overly busy for my taste and I don't like the wheel design.
Would it stop me from owning one absolutely not.....the price of
one equipped to my specs and what the heck it's going to cost to maintain when it's not under warranty will.

I would happily live with the hood if I had one that looked like this.
The following users liked this post:
rinkydink64 (08-25-2019)
Old 08-25-2019, 08:20 AM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 639 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr L-88
I'm curious....................... and since I was unable to attend ............. did anybody here see any really RARE parts there?

Thanks,
Rex
FRANZ told me last night that many ''rare'' RPO parts were for sale by many vendors. RACE CAR TENT was exciting, as new cars were displayed not known by general public. Saturday weather was ''perfect''.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:33 AM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Dr L-88
My friend's 57 airbox car was in the race car display and he said it drew a lot of attention. It's a really neat car with a ton of history. These guys have worked extremely hard to research this car and they deserve the recognition they and the car are getting. Congratulations Dale, Jason, Jerry, Greg and Jimmy !!!!

They won the RACE CAR ''CELEBRITY CHOICE'' Award fand presentged by non other than J.D PERVIS. The car drove on stage to receive it. THE GREAT HISTORY OF THIS CAR DESCRIBED HERE,

Last edited by jimgessner; 08-25-2019 at 08:35 AM.
nrbc7 (08-25-2019)
Old 08-25-2019, 08:43 AM
jimgessner
Safety Car

nrbc7 (08-25-2019)
Old 08-25-2019, 08:51 AM
jimgessner
Safety Car

COREY PETERSEN TRAILERD THE CAR ALL THE WAY FROM UTAH. This great car has UTAH and Colorado and Nebraska race histoy and was in a barn for over 45 years. IT is NOT RESTORED. Corey cleaned ikt up and got it running two weeks ago.

JOHN DAY, was a salesman at a Salt Lake City Cadillac dealership. He may have owned the car but he sold it in Nov 1964 per the COMPETITION PRESS add It was a SALT LAKE CITY 1959 RACER VIN # 8146- Made June 1959.

It was white blue originally and a real RPO #687 HD Suspension, and brake car at bith. PAINTED black /brown but was white / blue interior originally, side pipe exits in front of rear tires like factory . COMPETITION PRESS ADD selling car in 1964, race door #‘’’O’’ B/P. Nov 1964.

SCCA racer LEN BUTLER owned after ALEN GLASSIER. and raced the car.

ALAN GLASSIER bought it in 1960 with 12000 miles from an owner JERRY ?. He bought the car from Jerry who was a CORVETTE CLUB OF SALT LAKE member. Then in 64 the CORVETTE CLUB of UTAH was formed by John Kennedy. Two different clubs.

GREAT HISTORY AND ''BETTER STORIES'' around the campfire every night. This is what the RACE CAR REUNION produces every 5 years. Thank you Corey for sharing.

Paul Maxwell remembers the car well and went with LEN BUTLER when Len raced the car when he owned the car. Len sold the car in 1965 so he could buy his 1966 A/P racer that was sponsored by GORDEN WILSON Chevrolet.

Last edited by jimgessner; 08-25-2019 at 09:23 AM.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:30 AM
nrbc7
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by jimgessner
COREY PETERSEN TRAILERD THE CAR ALL THE WAY FROM UTAH. This great car has UTAH and Colorado and Nebraska race histoy and was in a barn for over 45 years. IT is NOT RESTORED. Corey cleaned ikt up and got it running two weeks ago.

JOHN DAY, was a salesman at a Salt Lake City Cadillac dealership. He may have owned the car but he sold it in Nov 1964 per the COMPETITION PRESS add It was a SALT LAKE CITY 1959 RACER VIN # 8146- Made June 1959.

It was white blue originally and a real RPO #687 HD Suspension, and brake car at bith. PAINTED black /brown but was white / blue interior originally, side pipe exits in front of rear tires like factory . COMPETITION PRESS ADD selling car in 1964, race door #‘’’O’’ B/P. Nov 1964.

SCCA racer LEN BUTLER owned after ALEN GLASSIER. and raced the car.

ALAN GLASSIER bought it in 1960 with 12000 miles from an owner JERRY ?. He bought the car from Jerry who was a CORVETTE CLUB OF SALT LAKE member. Then in 64 the CORVETTE CLUB of UTAH was formed by John Kennedy. Two different clubs.

GREAT HISTORY AND ''BETTER STORIES'' around the campfire every night. This is what the RACE CAR REUNION produces every 5 years. Thank you Corey for sharing.

Paul Maxwell remembers the car well and went with LEN BUTLER when Len raced the car when he owned the car. Len sold the car in 1965 so he could buy his 1966 A/P racer that was sponsored by GORDEN WILSON Chevrolet.
Jim I got to meet Corey and see his car as we were placed beside him under the tent and he is a wonderful individual . Thanks for setting this race car reunion up . It was the hit of the show ! Great job Jim just wished you could have been able to attend . Best wishes on your health . JM
Old 08-25-2019, 09:37 AM
Dislocated
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Default First time

I have been to Carlisle for Ford Nationals a number of times since the ‘90s but this was my first time for the Corvette. I took the time on Friday during the rain to talk to some of the smaller sellers and received what I thought to be fair prices on the items I bought as well as contact info for folks who had other items that I needed. I could only be there on Friday and enjoyed myself immensely. The Blue/gray pearl C8 on the display stand was gorgeous and there was a Silver/Silver ‘66 roadster that would have been a very fair deal for somebody willing to talk with the seller. I will be back next year for both Friday and Saturday.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:06 AM
njfl
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Just a data point for all. I took my 57 chassis to sell. Started it at $1600.00 on Wed. Dropped it $100 each day. A lot of lookers, but not even an offer until late Sat afternoon. Finally sold to a local (nearby Carlisle) guy for $1100.00. The chassis was very clean and solid. I'm fine with the price, but it's showing the impact of the restomods.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:20 AM
W Guy
Drifting

Received 178 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by jimgessner

I love the ad for the Ol Reliable II !!!!!

Verne
2tired (08-26-2019)
Old 08-25-2019, 11:38 AM
Tevroc98
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 75 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I haven't been to Carlisle in at least 5 yrs. I'm finishing my car by next year and was thinking of taking what I have leftover to sell next year.The last time I went to sell was a waste of time. The cost for the weekend and gas and tolls got to be too much. But after reading comments here and talking to a few friends that came back from this years show. I assume nothing has changed. I'll stick to selling here and other places and save the aggravation. I had hoped it was getting better. That use to be a great show and place to buy parts.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:27 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,300 Likes on 1,699 Posts

People who only came to Carlisle to sell, and don't care about the social activity with other vette enthusiasts had better have rare parts and market prices. Those will sell.
Garden variety parts need to be priced to sell because normal buyers are looking for bargains. For me and many others there, it is cars and coffee on steriods. For looking at vettes, and talking to other vette fanatics there can't be any other place like it on the planet. In the field, or in the hotel, or in the hotel parking lot it can't be beat. I had a great time visiting with strangers who wanted to learn about my car, and admire it. The full court press that GM/Chevrolet put on with the new mid-engine was impressive. When I saw the blacked out rig below parked on the main road in at Gate 3 I knew we were in for a treat. Even with the rain on Friday am it was a great weekend. If you love Corvettes, and you can get to Carlisle, I think you have to be there for at least one day. I know I do. August 2020, here I come!

The following 2 users liked this post by 65hihp:
jimgessner (08-26-2019), vettebuyer6369 (08-25-2019)
Old 08-25-2019, 03:04 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,599 Likes on 2,173 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 65hihp
People who only came to Carlisle to sell, and don't care about the social activity with other vette enthusiasts had better have rare parts and market prices. Those will sell.
Garden variety parts need to be priced to sell because normal buyers are looking for bargains. For me and many others there, it is cars and coffee on steriods. For looking at vettes, and talking to other vette fanatics there can't be any other place like it on the planet. In the field, or in the hotel, or in the hotel parking lot it can't be beat. I had a great time visiting with strangers who wanted to learn about my car, and admire it. The full court press that GM/Chevrolet put on with the new mid-engine was impressive. When I saw the blacked out rig below parked on the main road in at Gate 3 I knew we were in for a treat. Even with the rain on Friday am it was a great weekend. If you love Corvettes, and you can get to Carlisle, I think you have to be there for at least one day. I know I do. August 2020, here I come!

Great to spend time with you and Mark as always. It was alot of fun. The cars are great but the people are even better. Cocktail hours at the hotel are also very good
Old 08-25-2019, 03:41 PM
SBR
Safety Car

Received 678 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
there was a bunch of real knock offs and 67 bolt on wheels. at least 4-5 sets each. other then that nothing really special. Jack Podel (sp) had the aluminium SB there.
What were the asking prices for the BO wheels?
Old 08-25-2019, 03:54 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,372 Likes on 2,793 Posts

Originally Posted by njfl
Just a data point for all. I took my 57 chassis to sell. Started it at $1600.00 on Wed. Dropped it $100 each day. A lot of lookers, but not even an offer until late Sat afternoon. Finally sold to a local (nearby Carlisle) guy for $1100.00. The chassis was very clean and solid. I'm fine with the price, but it's showing the impact of the restomods.
I heard this sentiment a lot, particularly about the availability of rolling chassis. Now that the restomod crowd is tearing up perfectly good cars, the parts market is flooded with midyear parts that weren’t easily available not that long ago, and now chassis have dropped to dirt cheap.

Originally Posted by 65hihp
Don’s right, of course. Most of my comments have been on the swap side as that’s were I happened to spend most my time this year, but the fact was this show continues to be great for looking at peoples cars and gabbing with perfect strangers about their cars or anything else Corvette. That was the high point of the fun of the show as usual. The people were great, better than most other shows for some reason.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:20 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 7,027 Likes on 4,830 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by SBR
What were the asking prices for the BO wheels?
people were asking 10-15 per set. One guy had two only asking 3k for one
SBR (08-26-2019)
Old 08-25-2019, 04:35 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,300 Likes on 1,699 Posts

Thank you Steve. That is how I look at the event. I do go for the swapmeet, and go through all the rows several times. But, if I find anything to buy it is a bonus. Mostly, the meet is a three day long cars and coffee with a chance to look at Vettes you only hear about and seldom get to see. GM did not have one or two mid-engine cars. I think there were 8 or 10 of them, and a cutaway car, and cutaway engine, and cutaway gear box. I am not in the market, but I was very impressed. If you wished, you could talk with the Chief Engineer about the car, and my buddies did. Where else can you do that? The race car tent was incredible. The egg sandwiches for breakfast, and big smokie sandwiches for lunch are always great! Mark C, Capevettes and his pal Tim and I all met up and spend the weekend visiting, and it was a blast. Thanks guys!

My exit from Carlisle on Saturday morning was memorable. I decided since I was in no rush, to leave a little late, like 0830, and drive down Harrisburg Pike (Rt 11), the main road into the fairgrounds, just to see the Saturday morning spectacle. It took me about 45 mins to go a mile since there were three roads coming together and all were packed with inbound Vettes. My 64 coupe on trailer behind my Duramax got lots of waves and honks. I finally broke through the jam up about 0930 and headed southeast on the Holly Pike (Rt 34 to Rt 94) towards I15. Talk about a Corvette Parade driving from I15 to the event! It was unbelievable! Just dozens and dozens of vettes of every description, and every generation. All the way through Mount Holly Springs, and York Springs. And then when I hit I15 southbound towards Maryland, more vettes streaming northbound. It looked like a caravan to Mecca. And it is, if you bleed Corvette. Simply, it is not to be missed.
The following 2 users liked this post by 65hihp:
capevettes (08-25-2019), vettebuyer6369 (08-25-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Carlisle 2019

Old 08-25-2019, 05:22 PM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 575 Likes on 322 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I had a great time and got home today at 2:30. I took a detour down Skyline Drive for 66 miles and then came back to Richmond via Rt 33. Friday I had Al Knoch install new front black carpet and a new black Stayfast top in the afternoon. Al’s service is top notch and I throughly enjoyed the experience. Where else can you get a top installed in 4-5 hours. Enjoyed seeing everyone and Don and Paul were great to hang out with in the hotel parking lot. On Saturday my car tied for 3rd in the People’s Choice award and the other guy wasn’t there so I got the award. That was cool considering my car was in pieces the day before. The Skyline Drive detour was really nice and I may do that again. I was tempted to take it to the end which is 105 miles. Thursday afternoon I saw a C8 on Rt 11 when I was returning to the hotel. Harlan Charles was the driver of the silver C8. Here are a few pictures.
The following 5 users liked this post by MarkC:
elwood13 (08-25-2019), firstgear (08-25-2019), FLYNAVY30 (08-26-2019), jimgessner (08-26-2019), norway66 (09-04-2019)
Old 08-25-2019, 05:25 PM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

I introduced Don and Paul to Buffalo Trace. Over the event we went through 750ml. The stuff is really hard to find in Virginia.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:31 PM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

I like the C8 but it’s going to be hard with the short hood that you can barely see. I think they are a great value for the money. It reminds me of a mini van when you are sitting in one. Here are some cut-a-way pictures.
Ken Sungela (08-25-2019)

Quick Reply: Carlisle 2019