C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Another choke question

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 05:42 PM
C2search
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Another choke question

I’m a novice when it comes to carburetors but I want to try and solve this myself if I can.
1964 327 300hp AFB 3721SB carb

I’ve read a bunch of related threads on the forum but still don’t quite “get it”.
In these pictures the engine is cold. I shot a video but I’m not sure if it will upload successfully. In the video I have the accelerator linkage fully open while turning the choke cover back and forth. Nothing seems to happen.

Can anyone tell me what I can do to get the choke operational? Like I said, I’m a rookie.
As always “Thanks in advance!”

Current setting

I made sure the coil hook is engaged with the tang on the choke piston inner lever.

Attached Images  
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_5349.MOV (17.39 MB, 30 views)
Old 03-09-2021, 05:58 PM
6D2148
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

Can't see anything in video. Try with throttle partially open. At wide open throttle the choke plate is forced open against the spring.
Chip
The following users liked this post:
C2search (03-09-2021)
Old 03-09-2021, 06:19 PM
C2search
Instructor

Should I be able to manually move the circled linkage? I can’t get it to budge
Old 03-09-2021, 07:45 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,646 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Yes, you should be able to manually move the linkage. - it must be frozen. I have a divorced choke so I’m not that familiar with this type of self-contained choke, but it appears the spring center may not be keying into the choke link shaft when the cover is installed in place.
Old 03-09-2021, 07:54 PM
C2search
Instructor

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
Yes, you should be able to manually move the linkage. - it must be frozen. I have a divorced choke so I’m not that familiar with this type of self-contained choke, but it appears the spring center may not be keying into the choke link shaft when the cover is installed in place.
I made sure this was engaged.

Old 03-09-2021, 07:58 PM
vivasantana
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 115 Posts

I had an electric choke & always had issues with it.
I ditched it & hooked up a nice manual choke & cable.
Works far superior.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:15 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,087 Likes on 4,739 Posts
Army

There is a piston inside the AFB choke housing that can seize due to carbon fouling and this requires disassembly and cleanout:
The piston tang attaches to the coil and can make the coil inoperative.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 03-09-2021 at 08:16 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Frankie the Fink:
C2search (03-09-2021), jimgessner (03-13-2021)
Birdman63
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 16 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

most likely cylinder is stuck. take off soak to see if loosen up.
C2search (03-09-2021)
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,251 Likes on 2,321 Posts

There is a piston in the choke body that often sticks, possibly due to carbon corrosion. The piston is connected inside the black choke housing to the lever that you say won't move, so it's stuck. The weight of the piston helps pull the choke off as the springs warms and weakens. There is also a small hole at the bottom of that piston chamber that put's vacuum on the bottom of the piston to help pull it off. There is a tiny o ring in that vacuum hole, so look out for it when you take out the three screws that hold the choke body to the side of the carb. That piston MUST move freely for the choke to work.

C2search (03-09-2021)
Old 03-09-2021, 08:18 PM
C2search
Instructor

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
There is a piston inside the AFB choke housing that can seize due to carbon fouling and this requires disassembly and cleanout:
The piston tang attaches to the coil and can make the coil inoperative.
Originally Posted by Birdman63

most likely cylinder is stuck. take off soak to see if loosen up.
Thanks guys. I’ll give this a try in a couple of days (supposed to be sub zero tomorrow &#129398 and then report back my findings.
👍🏻
Old 03-09-2021, 08:18 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

PS. It comes off the side of the carb, the carb does not have to be removed
Old 03-09-2021, 08:21 PM
C2search
Instructor

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
There is a piston in the choke body that often sticks, possibly due to carbon corrosion. The piston is connected inside the black choke housing to the lever that you say won't move, so it's stuck. The weight of the piston helps pull the choke off as the springs warms and weakens. There is also a small hole at the bottom of that piston chamber that put's vacuum on the bottom of the piston to help pull it off. There is a tiny o ring in that vacuum hole, so look out for it when you take out the three screws that hold the choke body to the side of the carb. That piston MUST move freely for the choke to work.

Thanks Jack
Old 03-10-2021, 05:40 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I've seen those piston bores so crapped up that I had to remove the Welch plug on the bottom and scrub them with Hoppes #9 gun solvent and a brass brush like a rifle bore - no kidding.
Old 03-12-2021, 11:02 AM
C2search
Instructor

Default Piston is stuck!

I removed the choke from the carb and as many of you suggested, the piston is STUCK.
I soaked it overnight in a 50/50 mix of ATF and Acetone (see 2007 Machinist Workshop test below). Kroil is hard to find in my area. I also sprayed some Liquid Wrench.
The piston will now more up and down a little. Maybe 1/4” +/-. The piston is still really tight when it gets to the top.

What do I do next? I don’t see how to completely remove the piston to access the piston bore for further cleaning if that is what’s required.
Thanks!

Old 03-12-2021, 11:36 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Remove the flat head screw and pull the piston out the top. If it is too tight to move that far, you will have to remove the plug in the bottom and tap it out the top. Then when you get it cleaned out and moving freely, put the plug cap back in the bottom. In order to remove mine, I drilled a very small hole in the center of the cap, hooked a curved scribe into the hole and pulled it out. When finished, I covered the hole with a dab of JB Weld.
Once that screw (and attached lever) is removed, the piston can be rotated and you may find a spot in the rotation that will allow the piston to come out without removing the plug at the bottom. Also, don't forget the small o ring I mentioned earlier in the small hole where the choke tube fits up against the carb body to allow vacuum to assist in pulling the piston down as the spring warms.

Last edited by 65GGvert; 03-12-2021 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-12-2021, 11:51 AM
C2search
Instructor

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Remove the flat head screw and pull the piston out the top. If it is too tight to move that far, you will have to remove the plug in the bottom and tap it out the top. Then when you get it cleaned out and moving freely, put the plug cap back in the bottom. In order to remove mine, I drilled a very small hole in the center of the cap, hooked a curved scribe into the hole and pulled it out. When finished, I covered the hole with a dab of JB Weld.
Once that screw (and attached lever) is removed, the piston can be rotated and you may find a spot in the rotation that will allow the piston to come out without removing the plug at the bottom. Also, don't forget the small o ring I mentioned earlier in the small hole where the choke tube fits up against the carb body to allow vacuum to assist in pulling the piston down as the spring warms.
Ok. I may have to remove the plug and tap the piston out through the top.It seems too tight to pull the piston out and I’m afraid of breaking the piston lever.
Yes I removed the small o ring as you suggested👍🏻
Old 03-12-2021, 01:00 PM
berlinlake
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 89 Posts

I have the same year car, same motor and same choke piston issue. I bought a used replacement off of Ebay and that's been fine so far but I'd still like to get the original back in working condition. Mine was repaired by someone before because the bottom cylinder plug was replaced with JB weld. I plan to drill out the weld and hammer the piston up from the bottom. Then I'll see if I can clean and brush the cylinder enough so it will work. I have replacement plugs so I shouldn't have to use weld on it this time. I tried soaking it in penetrating oil and boiling it in washing soda which were both recommended on this forum. Neither of those methods got it out. The weather is just starting to warm up here so I'll start a few garage projects again soon. I don't do much out there in the winter. Maybe after I retire I'll get a heater.

Get notified of new replies

To Another choke question

Old 03-12-2021, 01:22 PM
C2search
Instructor

Originally Posted by berlinlake
I have the same year car, same motor and same choke piston issue. I bought a used replacement off of Ebay and that's been fine so far but I'd still like to get the original back in working condition. Mine was repaired by someone before because the bottom cylinder plug was replaced with JB weld. I plan to drill out the weld and hammer the piston up from the bottom. Then I'll see if I can clean and brush the cylinder enough so it will work. I have replacement plugs so I shouldn't have to use weld on it this time. I tried soaking it in penetrating oil and boiling it in washing soda which were both recommended on this forum. Neither of those methods got it out. The weather is just starting to warm up here so I'll start a few garage projects again soon. I don't do much out there in the winter. Maybe after I retire I'll get a heater.
Hi Steve
i followed the advice from 65GGvert and drilled a small hole in the plug, popped it out and tapped the piston out. I’ll fill the hole with some JB Weld.
I’m going to do a little light sanding until the piston moves freely then reassemble🤞

I retired 2 years ago, bought the car, bought a 4 post hoist, and have been enjoying myself ever since! Learning something about the car every day.

Old 03-13-2021, 06:39 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I do not recommend sanding that piston or its cylinder, again try some firearm solvent; it is designed to eliminate contaminants from combustion...along with a brass brush.

Once you have the piston channel open cleaning it up is trivial.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 03-13-2021 at 06:41 AM.
Old 03-13-2021, 09:03 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

After removing mine for the third time I sanded the piston and the chamber to free it up. The first two times it was very free until the car heated up and then cooled down and it would stick again. After sanding I've had no trouble for several years. It didn't seem to adversely affect anything.

Quick Reply: [C2] Another choke question