C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Instrument cluster removal - How difficult ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2002, 07:15 PM
67wave_saver
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Instrument cluster removal - How difficult ? (Electron Blue '02)

....Car & Parts Corvette magazine, Vol 4, Nov 4, Aug 2001, Page 28, has an article with pictures that will help....makes it look soooo easy :cheers:

:seeya Save :seeya That :seeya Wave
Old 12-15-2002, 11:48 PM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

Default Re: Instrument cluster removal - How difficult ? (Electron Blue '02)

Disconnect the battery. Get comfortable under the dash. If you have small fingers, you can change all the bulbs without pulling the cluster. They are the grey wires. There are three on top of the cluster. If the car has air conditioning, the ducts will have to be removed.

My 14 year old grandson made it very easy for a Saturday moring job that took all of 45 minutes. Make sure you have a complete box of correct bulbs. Get your GM Chevrolet service manual.
Old 12-16-2002, 08:33 AM
66427-450
Safety Car

Received 436 Likes on 317 Posts

Default Re: Instrument cluster removal - How difficult ? (jimgessner)

it's not hard to do...... just takes time, and patience.

it's not something you'll want to do every year, so, i'd think it thru, make a list of everything that's not perfect, get all the parts in hand, and do everyting all at once (things like clean gauge glass, re paint yellow/red on faces/needles, set the odometer where you want it, repaint cluster face (blk) if needed, etc etc.....) and if you have a bad bulb, change ALL of them while you have it out, and use top QUALITY bulbs.

[Modified by 66427-450, 8:35 AM 12/16/2002]
Old 12-17-2002, 12:55 PM
tuxedo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Instrument cluster removal - How difficult ? (66427-450)

I got a question on painting the dash cluster face once it is out. Mine looks a little worn. I was thinking of pulling the cluster for a few things. And thought I might as well spray it. What is the best procedure since the quages have that chrome trim around them and the instruments have the writing in chrome. How do you spray it without messing that stuff up. Or where do you send it and how much $'s if that is best way to go. Also I have some corvette central dash paint and have also heard Krylon #1610/1613 works well. Thx :smash:
Old 12-17-2002, 01:57 PM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Received 771 Likes on 402 Posts

Default Re: Instrument cluster removal - How difficult ? (tuxedo)

On my 63, the panel is black with silver/polished bezels around the guages. The writing for things like the WIPERS is chrome not covered by the black paint. I carefully masked as the bezels and areas that should not receive black paint. I did not mask the WIPERS and similar markings. I then painted the panel with Rustoleum Satin Black. When the paint was dry to the touch, I carefully removed paint from the WIPERS and similar markings with a stiff pencil eraser. I then let it dry completely before reinstalling the panel.
Old 12-17-2002, 03:28 PM
Kid_Again
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Instrument cluster removal - How difficult ? (kellsdad)

...yup, i do the same as kellsdad on the raised letters...i use a razor blade on the flats of the bezels.....btw, i DO NOT like the way the rattle can paint fills in the nooks and crannies of the cluster - that's why i bought a cheap single stage airbrush and used multiple thin washes 'till i got what i liked

Quick Reply: Instrument cluster removal - How difficult ?