C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

'63 Corvette Tachometer Buzzer

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2021, 12:08 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,901 Likes on 883 Posts

Default '63 Corvette Tachometer Buzzer

Maybe I'm just getting too picky, or maybe not....What do you guys think?

I sent my entire gauge cluster/housing unit across the Country to complete the restoration of the unit.

I received it back, and it looks incredible!

Now, as I'm assembling items I'm trying to figure out how the heck the tachometer rev buzzer works off of the tachometer. I look through all my pictures, find my buzzer unit, secure the wiring harness, and unfortunately, there's nowhere to plug the wire into.

After identifying my picture, and looking at the unit as it was returned, I realize that the accessory plug for the buzzer wire to plug into is missing.

I called the guy who did the restoration and he replied it's not there because it's not available.

Unfortunately, I was not informed of this until I made the call asking where my plug was at. The Gentleman told me that they just decay, and are no longer usable for the tachometer buzzer to operate.

Yea...I know....it's just a buzzer that I probably wouldn't hear anyway over the roar of the motor at 6500 rpm.

Damn.....I'm disappointed but would still like to find one, if they are available anywhere.

Have any of you guy's with an early '63 ran across this issue? If so, were you able to find a resolve to it, or just simply left it out of the build.

Thanks, Pat

Old 06-19-2021, 12:46 AM
Bubba63
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default buzzer

P,

There should have been a single blue wire from the buzzer to your Tach. I think it connects to the receptor up and to the right of the
cigarette lighter. My buzzer tach is missing so not sure on that.
GJM

tach end

Connection at buzzer
The following users liked this post:
ptjsk (06-19-2021)
Old 06-19-2021, 07:36 AM
65 Pro Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,047 Likes on 576 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Did he keep yours and send you a different tach? The plug is part of the tach. And are very rare. Was it plugged in when you took it apart?

Last edited by 65 Pro Vette; 06-19-2021 at 07:38 AM.
Old 06-19-2021, 08:16 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Who did your work
Old 06-19-2021, 09:34 AM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Are you absolutely certain that your car had a functioning buzzer. Nolan has a survey. Some early cars had the buzzer, but no the buzzer tach, and some the buzzer tach, but no buzzer. Then no buzzer tach, no buzzer.

Duke
Old 06-19-2021, 09:38 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 65 Pro Vette
Did he keep yours and send you a different tach? The plug is part of the tach. And are very rare. Was it plugged in when you took it apart?
Yes, it was plugged in when I took it apart. You can see in the pictures provided that the plug, and the connector piece is in place. The gentleman said that when he took it apart it just disintegrates and there is no replacement for it. Then while I'm attempting to put it back together, the "plug" is obviously missing. Unfortunately, this is when I find out that it's missing.

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Who did your work
Hey Keith, I want to find out a bit more information prior to placing the guy's name onto a public forum. I definitely don't want to tarnish the man's business, but I do want to find out if others have had similar experiences when sending in a buzzer tachometer.

Pat
Old 06-19-2021, 09:43 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SWCDuke
Are you absolutely certain that your car had a functioning buzzer. Nolan has a survey. Some early cars had the buzzer, but no the buzzer tach, and some the buzzer tach, but no buzzer. Then no buzzer tach, no buzzer.

Duke
Good Morning Duke,
I'm definitely not certain the buzzer worked (because I didn't run it prior to taking it apart), but I am certain all the parts were in place for it to work. I'm aware that when they were discontinuing the buzzer, then they may be missing a piece of the system.

But in my case, the entire system was there and in place. The buzzer itself is in the picture I provided, and you can see the "plug" in the back of the tachometer housing, again picture provided. Upon the return of the unit, the plug is gone.

Pat
SWCDuke (06-19-2021)
Old 06-19-2021, 03:56 PM
silver837
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 978 Likes on 775 Posts

Pat
My 63 has the buzzer tach but no buzzer................. 87XX

TOM
ptjsk (06-19-2021)
Old 06-19-2021, 05:28 PM
435er
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

I hope it was not a rare item that went bye bye, should have been some conversation prior to the return, I think.
Mike
ptjsk (06-19-2021)
Old 06-19-2021, 08:30 PM
silver837
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 978 Likes on 775 Posts

Rarer than hen's teeth
ptjsk (06-19-2021)
Old 06-19-2021, 10:10 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by silver837
Rarer than hen's teeth
That's what I'm afraid of.

I sure would have felt better if the parts were returned and even more so had I received a call informing me that the board, was disintegrated.

Pat
Old 06-19-2021, 11:43 PM
deejaydu
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 334 Posts

Pat I sure hate to hear this. I am not familiar with the buzzer or the parts to make it work. Check with David Sokoloski in California or Andy Canino on this Forum and see if they might have what you need. Can you post another picture of exactly what the buzzer and the plug look like.

Thanks
Jay
ptjsk (06-20-2021)
Old 06-20-2021, 12:30 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by deejaydu
Pat I sure hate to hear this. I am not familiar with the buzzer or the parts to make it work. Check with David Sokoloski in California or Andy Canino on this Forum and see if they might have what you need. Can you post another picture of exactly what the buzzer and the plug look like.

Thanks
Jay
Hey Jay,
The first picture shows the buzzer itself. It's sitting on top of the crossbar (little silver box), just above the emergency brake handle.

The plug is shown in the following picture, with a close up in picture #3. It's that small hole in the 11:00 position. Not easily visible, but it is detectable. Looking closely you can view the male portion of the connector just above the hex head mounting bolt.

Thanks for the references.

Pat

Last edited by ptjsk; 06-20-2021 at 12:31 AM.
Old 06-20-2021, 10:18 AM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

check with the repo wire harness companys. There are 2 major companies that make correct new wire harness.The may service the correct plug and wire dash connectors.
ptjsk (06-20-2021)
Old 06-20-2021, 10:25 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jimgessner
check with the repo wire harness companys. There are 2 major companies that make correct new wire harness.The may service the correct plug and wire dash connectors.
Good Morning Jim,
Yea, I've already obtained the wiring harness. Problem is, that the instrument panel was returned absent the board and plug that the wire goes into.

I did contact another company who restores the units. He said he could provide the board and cup for $400.00.

Just not happy that I wasn't contacted, or spoke to about the situation. I will be contacting the company and request my parts be sent to me.

Pat
Old 06-20-2021, 11:23 AM
deejaydu
Safety Car

Thanks for the explanation Pat. I did not even know that it existed. I now understand what to look for.

Jay
ptjsk (06-20-2021)
Old 06-20-2021, 10:05 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Now, I get this from a fellow member who was able to give me a contact.

My original email was just intended to get dialogue started with attempts to see what surfaced.

Not happy at all! I'm generally a good easy going man, until somebody crosses me!

Still trying to find a logical solution, but it's not looking favorable...I can't frigging stand thieves!!

I'll be making another phone call first thing in the morning.

Pat

Get notified of new replies

To '63 Corvette Tachometer Buzzer

Old 06-20-2021, 10:49 PM
deejaydu
Safety Car

Pat I also hate thieves and am sorry that you have to deal with this. I hope the person is reasonable and does the right thing and returns your to you.

Did all 63's come with a buzzer tach? Is there any way to tell from looking at the front of the tach.

Thanks
Jay
Old 06-20-2021, 11:34 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by deejaydu
Pat I also hate thieves and am sorry that you have to deal with this. I hope the person is reasonable and does the right thing and returns your to you.

Did all 63's come with a buzzer tach? Is there any way to tell from looking at the front of the tach.

Thanks
Jay
Yea, I'm actually hoping for a good outcome too Jay.

From what history I know, the buzzer tachs were discontinued after the first 3, or 4 months of production.

Additionally, I think the colors on the red line may differ on those of the buzzer tachs.

Our '63 has a build date of November 28th, 1962. Our car had all the pieces in, and on the car when I took it apart. Thankfully, I have taken hundreds of pictures along the way.

Pat

Last edited by ptjsk; 06-20-2021 at 11:35 PM.
Old 06-21-2021, 12:06 AM
deejaydu
Safety Car

Pat my car was built second week of February but it is not here now for me to look at it. I will just have to wait until I get it back to check and see if it has it.

Thanks
Jay

Quick Reply: '63 Corvette Tachometer Buzzer