C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] Looking for advice on my first C1

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2022, 04:09 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,215 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by C2search
Tire age is certainly contributing to your handling problems, as well as apparent lack of maintenance. The C1 guys on here will get you straightened out (no pun intended)
The following users liked this post:
Rosco 1962 (05-14-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 04:18 PM
JF in MI
Drifting
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,329 Likes on 498 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by leif.anderson93
Tire age is certainly contributing to your handling problems, as well as apparent lack of maintenance. The C1 guys on here will get you straightened out (no pun intended)
Agreed but as I said, the biggest issue you'll have is finding a front end shop that has any clue on how to align an antique Chevy suspension.
Old 05-13-2022, 06:00 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,486 Likes on 907 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

As AZDoug said “swap lanes unexpectedly”.

As I’m heading straight down the road the steering almost seems to “knuckle” from side to side.
I forgot about checking and adjusting steering box play.
Sounds like you may need a complete front end rebuild, if it isn't just sloppy steering box.

Those sometimes need the worm and roller replaced, also.
Get an ST-12 Corvette service manual, it will expalina LOT about what you have, and how to fix it.
Doug
Old 05-13-2022, 06:28 PM
C2search
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDoug
I forgot about checking and adjusting steering box play.
Sounds like you may need a complete front end rebuild, if it isn't just sloppy steering box.

Those sometimes need the worm and roller replaced, also.
Get an ST-12 Corvette service manual, it will expalina LOT about what you have, and how to fix it.
Doug
Thanks Doug
Yea I have the ST-12. I just haven’t spent anytime underneath the car yet. Wanted to get some ideas on what to look for. Plenty of good feedback here already!

I’m pretty sure this front end has been neglected and will need a complete rebuild.
Is a ZIP front suspension rebuild kit SU-66 and tie rod ends a good start?
Also thinking a steering column and gear box rebuild kit SC-564 may be required.
Old 05-14-2022, 06:50 AM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Received 931 Likes on 533 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year Finalist
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Haven’t done anything to my front end except keeping it greased since I got it 9 years ago. Tracks straight, maybe 1” play in steering wheel, doesn’t jump or wander. Always have radials. No complaints here but I do have a question.

How do you check the 3rd arm without taking anything apart?
Old 05-14-2022, 07:38 AM
CaptainEgg
Almost Retired
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 194 Likes on 155 Posts

Lots of good advice here, but start with the basics.
Grease the front end, you might need someone to bounce the front end to get grease in the control arms.
Check wheel bearing play.
Check king pins and tie rods
Get new tires
If you decide the front end needs rebuilt look for the video by DZAUTO
If you go looking for a person to do it look for an old truck mechanic, cause that's what that front end is
As stated previously, properly grease and in good shape the car will handle well, I drive my 62 5 to 7 thousand miles a year, with a few 5 to 7hundred mile trips in there, will it drive and handle like a new car, no, but then neither do I 60 years later!

Old 05-14-2022, 07:59 AM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 367 Likes on 208 Posts

Those tires and that profile can’t be helping. That car must steer like a Farmall, especially at low speed.
Old 05-14-2022, 09:02 AM
64luke
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

New diamondback tires and a good grease job are obviously needed (17 zerk fittings), but it’s likely you have a lot of worn out components. Replace the brake lines and rubber fuel lines before you do a lot of driving. Nothing like hitting the car in front of you and bursting into flames to ruin your day.
Old 05-14-2022, 11:07 AM
C2search
Instructor

Default Thanks everyone! Appreciate the input

Originally Posted by JF in MI
Agreed but as I said, the biggest issue you'll have is finding a front end shop that has any clue on how to align an antique Chevy suspension.
I'm going to take the car to a local alignment shop I've dealt with before. I prefer to do the work (or as much as possible) myself but would like them to check everything out and give me their opinion. I'll make some decisions regarding parts and rebuild needs after that.

Originally Posted by CaptainEgg
Lots of good advice here, but start with the basics.
As stated previously, properly grease and in good shape the car will handle well, I drive my 62 5 to 7 thousand miles a year, with a few 5 to 7hundred mile trips in there, will it drive and handle like a new car, no, but then neither do I 60 years later!
This is exactly what my end goal is. My wife and I like to go on our summer "topless" trips!

Originally Posted by DinoBob
Those tires and that profile can’t be helping. That car must steer like a Farmall, especially at low speed.
Makes sense. Although the look the previous owner was going for does look pretty cool, I don't think 2012 225's and 255's would be the best choice for a cruiser.
I'm going to start looking into new tires. Sounds like Diamondbacks are the way to go?

Originally Posted by 64luke
New diamondback tires and a good grease job are obviously needed (17 zerk fittings), but it’s likely you have a lot of worn out components. Replace the brake lines and rubber fuel lines before you do a lot of driving. Nothing like hitting the car in front of you and bursting into flames to ruin your day.
Nice catch on the lines. Will replace these.

Trevor
Old 05-14-2022, 11:13 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 7,031 Likes on 4,834 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Diamond back offers a service to put white walls or colored lines on new tires. If you want that look that is a great company to deal with. If you just want new tires that are black walls you can save your self about 200 dollars a tire by going to your local tire store
Old 05-14-2022, 11:53 AM
C2search
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Diamond back offers a service to put white walls or colored lines on new tires. If you want that look that is a great company to deal with. If you just want new tires that are black walls you can save your self about 200 dollars a tire by going to your local tire store
I think I'd like to stay with the wide whitewall. Just need to figure out the best size
Old 05-14-2022, 03:10 PM
aobrien
Tech Contributor

Received 32 Likes on 11 Posts

When I bought my ‘58 it had bias ply tires and the car would shift to find the groves in the road. Put radials on it and it drove like a new car!

Also, I wrote this classic chevy front suspension rebuild manual with the help of the forum and especially DZAuto

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ld-manual.html
Old 05-14-2022, 03:30 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,052 Likes on 1,935 Posts

Actually I believe there are 21 grease zeros.
Old 05-14-2022, 03:38 PM
carl3989
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 547 Likes on 262 Posts
USN

Default Please elucidate

Originally Posted by JF in MI
Why would it be such a problem to have someone align a C1? Do the modern alignment machines (i.e.: Lazer equipped) not accommodate C1s? I'm asking having only owned a C6 where alignment issues were never mentioned on the C6 Forum.
Old 05-14-2022, 03:44 PM
carl3989
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 547 Likes on 262 Posts
USN

Default Topless trip?

I'm going to take the car to a local alignment shop I've dealt with before. I prefer to do the work (or as much as possible) myself but would like them to check everything out and give me their opinion. I'll make some decisions regarding parts and rebuild needs after that.

This is exactly what my end goal is. My wife and I like to go on our summer "topless" trips!

Makes sense. Although the look the previous owner was going for does look pretty cool, I don't think 2012 225's and 255's would be the best choice for a cruiser.
I'm going to start looking into new tires. Sounds like Diamondbacks are the way to go?

Nice catch on the lines. Will replace these.

Trevor
Both of you? Hopefully just your wife. Boy you C1 and C2 guys are really wild. In the C6 Forum we had the "Mild to Wild" exhaust system but topless. Oh boy.
Old 05-14-2022, 04:02 PM
JF in MI
Drifting
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,329 Likes on 498 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by carl3989
Why would it be such a problem to have someone align a C1? Do the modern alignment machines (i.e.: Lazer equipped) not accommodate C1s? I'm asking having only owned a C6 where alignment issues were never mentioned on the C6 Forum.
Anyone old enough to know where the camber (and limited caster) adjustment is is retired, dead or smart enough to deny any knowledge of that PIA system. Having been in the alignment business, compared to newer cars, its not worth the money to mess with it when there are more profitable cars in the lot so many techs will claim ignorance if they really know what is involved.

carl3989 (05-14-2022)
Old 05-14-2022, 04:07 PM
C2search
Instructor

Originally Posted by carl3989
Both of you? Hopefully just your wife. Boy you C1 and C2 guys are really wild. In the C6 Forum we had the "Mild to Wild" exhaust system but topless. Oh boy.
LOL!! I usually refrain from using this term but my wife seems to get a kick out of the reaction she gets when telling her friends we're going on a topless trip!
So far, the only topless action has been the car ;-)
carl3989 (05-14-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for advice on my first C1

Old 05-14-2022, 04:26 PM
C2search
Instructor

Default classic chevy front suspension rebuild manual

Originally Posted by aobrien
When I bought my ‘58 it had bias ply tires and the car would shift to find the groves in the road. Put radials on it and it drove like a new car!

Also, I wrote this classic chevy front suspension rebuild manual with the help of the forum and especially DZAuto

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ld-manual.html
WOW! Thank you Aaron, Tom, and all the contributors to this excellent resource. And thanks for sharing!
I'm printing a copy right now and will let you know how I make out. Cheers, Trevor
Old 05-14-2022, 04:52 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,052 Likes on 1,935 Posts

Here is a link to C1 alignment info

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...alignment.html

Here is a picture of where the hidden Allen screw is located. See post #9

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...alignment.html
C2search (05-14-2022)
Old 05-14-2022, 06:27 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,648 Likes on 3,040 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by 68hemi
Actually I believe there are 21 grease zeros.
Whatever the number is, it's a LOT. There are Zerks everywhere!!!! I thought the number was closer to 24.

Quick Reply: [C1] Looking for advice on my first C1