C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Restoration shop warning!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2003, 12:14 PM
Kid_Again
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Restoration shop warning! (TheOman)

....Oman -> UDAMAN!!

...that is exactly, precisely, why i don't even let those people sell me rebuilt calipers - JUST rebore mine, i can RE-check YOUR work and i'll finish it up, thanks anyway bubba :lolg:
Old 01-11-2003, 12:25 PM
budrock
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Restoration shop warning! (budrock)

Thanks for the response. To clear some things up; I did'nt pay 75K, a guy I know did. Yea, I should'nt have sent the car to a shop so far away. I was only able to drop in on the resto about 4 times. Their invoices were very detailed and they already reimbursed me for the heater. I got a guy in my town that's really good who will help me with this stuff. The resto shop said they would definitely reimburse me for anything they did'nt get right. So it's not too bad. I know it could be a lot worse.
Magicv8, the cars in their showroom did'nt all get restored there. They buy and sell vettes, mustangs, pontiacs and others. One of the owners has a collection that is amazing. He must have a hundred cars of all kinds. he has an old limo ( I forget what make) that carried 4 U.S presidents starting with FDR. He also has one of the Batmobiles and one of the bikes that Steve McQween(sp?) used in The Great Escape.

Denney, no I did'nt join just to rail. I plan on posting more whenever I have a vette question or can help someone out. This is a great site. The people on here seem to know everything there is to know about Corvettes. We all have at least one thing in common.
We all love the Corvette.
Thanks,
Buddy
Old 01-11-2003, 12:33 PM
Blkblt
Drifting

Default Re: Restoration shop warning! (budrock)

Welcome to the Forum, Budrock!!! :seeya This is a great place for you!!!

As with others, I am sorry to hear of your experience. Dealing with "shops" at any level is anxiety-ridden, IMHO. Try to find yourself a small, local "support group" (not a club, particularly) that knows these cars and how to take care of them without the "shop" aspect. In this area we have such a group of loosely 4-7 guys (referred with various adjectives as the "CCC", or Colorado Corvette Crazies). Yeah; we drink quality brew (and etc.) and are of dubious ancestry and personal habits, but given the experience, expertise, and knowledge base, we have no need for any type of shop to speak of. From machining/fabrication through full body repair and paint, this little group could do it (and have). :yesnod: :cheers:

This point here is to seek out others in your area that have the interest and expertise and willingness to share, and many, if not most, of the repair, restoration, and maintenance issues can be done in pretty much constant contact with your car even if you don't have the ability or desire to do them yourself.

Good Luck!!! :D

Jeff
‘66. Modified L72
“The Silver Beast”
Keep on :cheers: :seeya :steering:
Old 01-11-2003, 03:55 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

Default Re: Restoration shop warning! (Blkblt)

From time to time a post such as this one really strikes a nerve. I remember another similar posted topic about a resto job that also came up short and a restorer piped on to the thread and took personal umbrage at what the original poster had to say about his experience in getting his car restored. The exchange got nasty, though the original post wasn't aimed at this particular restorer. It just seems to me that folks who plunk down big stash for a resto job are paying a premium price well over and above what an average shop would charge. It should be fair that these same folks expect to receive very high quality workmanship and attention to detail. I haven't lived this experience but others here have and perhaps, vicariously, we get a sense of what it must have felt like. That's not to say that there aren't many other satisified customers out there but that's not what this thread is about.

I dunno .. They say we get more cynical, with age. Some truth to that, sure; the simple fact being that we have seen it or experienced it in life situations to varying degrees. Trust in a man's word and his handshake speaks for itself. That was the old way but it speaks volumes about integrity. I'm getting a bit off topic here ..
It's great we are able to share our experiences here on this forum, even the bad ones. Maybe, in some small way, a bad experience can be a "good" experience if we take something away with it. Good that you could get it off your chest and share it, Buddy.

Blkblt - - What was that about "quality brew (and etc.)" .. ? .. "(and etc.)" ... ?? .. :lol: ... Good that the CCC can come together and "BBB" ... One a' these being BEER, 'course .. :cheers:

mrg
Old 01-14-2003, 07:56 PM
Classicvette63
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Restoration shop warning! (mrg)

mrg, That was my restoration that came up short. It's nice to be remembered for something. :D

Bud, You are far from alone on this. Restoration horror stories are far from uncommon. Hopefully your will have a satisfactory conclusion. If not, the only thing you can do is tell anyone and everyone about that a crappy job they did. That is the neat thing about these cars, people ask questions about them. The 3 most oft asked questions of me are; 1. What year is it? 2. How fast is it? And 3. Did you build it? No I didn't build it, but I'm glad you asked me that. Let me tell about the two crooks who did.... :lol: Word travels fast with a car like that. I can't wait to take it to Carlisle. :smash: Classic
Old 01-14-2003, 10:58 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

Default Re: Restoration shop warning! (Classicvette63)

Yea Classic, that one stuck with me. That was one heck of a runaround you got. .. Going to Carlisle . ? .. NICE .. :thumbs:

Quick Reply: Restoration shop warning!