C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] 1957 Info

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2023, 09:25 AM
MidShark
Melting Slicks

Received 280 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
Is Mike Hunt's data accurate????????
Tom, no one was questioning the accuracy of Mike Hunt's data, it actually brings into question the accuracy of Corvette Central's birthday calculator.

Rich
Old 01-19-2023, 11:39 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,789 Likes on 1,687 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by MidShark
Tom, no one was questioning the accuracy of Mike Hunt's data, it actually brings into question the accuracy of Corvette Central's birthday calculator.

Rich
And I did not mean to imply that anyone questioned Mike's information. It was simply a rhetorical question on my part.
Mike was big time into 56-57 information, facts and history.
He had an untimely death on a motorcycle, before anyone was able to learn more details about his sources. As I mentioned, all of his information and data may not be perfectly accurate, but after all these years, NO ONE has produced any better information.
Sorta, kinda, but not for sure, there were rumors that Mike had unauthorized access to some well concealed GM archives. We will never know. And I can relate to that. I have a part on the 56 which I was sworn to secrecy about its source. To this day, no one knows where it came from.
The following users liked this post:
MidShark (01-19-2023)
Old 01-19-2023, 11:41 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,107 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by MidShark

Rich
The calculator on Central's site, as well as the ones on various Corvette registry sites, and else where are all approximations. The only known is the VIN of the last car built each month. The way I understand it is the calculators use each month's last known VIN, and then work from there taking into account holidays, strikes, shifts, Saturday's worked, etc, to come up with a build date. The date's not always exact, but usually correct within a few days.
Old 01-19-2023, 02:14 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,053 Likes on 1,935 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I communicated and met Mike in the mid 70s when my friend an I bought a 1957 Corvette that turned out to be an airbox car. Mike believed the car was the mule car for the Nassau and Sebring race cars and was also likely to have been raced there.

Mike’s data was recorded on an old computer on floppy discs and as stated left to the university as stated previously. I don’t think they have ever done anything with it and likely not real interested in it but are likely honoring his wishes. I think that if the right GROUP would approach them with the intent to move the info to a more modern format that they certainly should not object as it is not very useable in its current form. So, the interested people should be forming this GROUP to help make it happen.
The following users liked this post:
Jake Morgan (01-20-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 05:32 PM
Y57V
Heel & Toe

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd H.
Nice '57! And congratulations on knowing it's story. That doesn't happen often. Please post more pictures!

Mike Hunt's data was donated by his estate to Kettering University and is apparently unavailable in it's complete form.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...round-3-a.html

However, portions of it can be found, like what Ed posted in that thread. I have the '57 production data and other '57 info that I think was posted by an NCRS member some years ago. If you're a member you might find more information there. If you don't want to post your VIN you can PM it to me and I'll tell you when Mike said it was built.
Thank you for the offer. After I get the pm figured out I send you the vin. Had trouble replying to pms in a thread where I asked about a shop for painting. Plus need to ask my neighbor to get the vin next time he's in the garage. Currently in Barcelona and no computer just phone. Will get back to you

Quick Reply: [C1] 1957 Info